Pretty sad

Nobody can argue that the Gophers should not have significantly more wins than they currently do regardless of a lack of point guard. This teams was significantly more talented than Northwestern and it felt like they were completely dominating the game...exactly like the Virginia debacle when the Gophers were at full strength.

No excuses for losing at Indiana, at Penn State, home against Illiniois, home against MSU, home against Michigan, and at Northwestern. That is 6 games where the Gophers had plenty of talent on the floor and simply gave away most of those games. If they even go 3-3 in that stretch, which would have been poor, they would just need to beat Penn State at home to lock up a tournament bid.

A lot of coaches would have this team at 10-7 or 9-8 in the league right now.

I'll add this to the idea that Wisc. would fold if Taylor went down. No chance. Wisc. is better coached and has smarter players. Our players just aren't smart enough and the coaching staff doesn't know what to do about it.

Not to mention Wisconsin actually has people that can shoot the basketball. Without Jordan Taylor, there is still no way they go 3-17 from 3pt. land like we did tonight.

I never thought last November that I would be seeing this type of year with the talent this team has. I like Tubby but Bo Ryan would have this Minnesota team at 23 wins.

Is it pure coincidence that pantherhawk created a bit on a different message board with the same exact name in January 2011?

Nobody can argue that the Gophers should not have significantly more wins than they currently do regardless of a lack of point guard. This teams was significantly more talented than Northwestern and it felt like they were completely dominating the game...exactly like the Virginia debacle when the Gophers were at full strength.

No excuses for losing at Indiana, at Penn State, home against Illiniois, home against MSU, home against Michigan, and at Northwestern. That is 6 games where the Gophers had plenty of talent on the floor and simply gave away most of those games. If they even go 3-3 in that stretch, which would have been poor, they would just need to beat Penn State at home to lock up a tournament bid.

A lot of coaches would have this team at 10-7 or 9-8 in the league right now.

Agree with most of that. Gophers ought to be 11-6 (not 6-11) in B10 now.

This has to go down as one of the dumbess statements ever on Gopherhole. Sorry, but this is hilarious. The Badgers would struggle a little without Taylor for sure, but I guarentee they would not lose 8 of 9.

Really - "Dumbess" statements. Struggle a little without Taylor? Do you watch any of the Wisky games. The "great" motion offense creates almost nothing. Most of the offense is pick and roll with Taylor, who then either scores or BREAKS DOWN THE DEFENSE and sets up a score.

Not to mention Wisconsin actually has people that can shoot the basketball. Without Jordan Taylor, there is still no way they go 3-17 from 3pt. land like we did tonight.

Ask Blake if it is easy to get his shot off without anyone that can get to the hole and break down a defense. He had something called Marco shut him down last night. A good point guard makes everyone better. Wisky doesn't get all those open shots without Taylor.

This is pretty accurate, and describes every one of these last 9 games except Iowa. Their end of game offense simply evaporates as the other team hits big shots. That last 3-4 minute stretch was like watching Purdue, Penn State, Michigan State, all over again, just different color jerseys.

Could be conditioning. Could be abandonment issues caused by frequent Bortonesque defections. Could be depth is gone because of said departures. Could be players playing out of position. Could be floor leadership is sitting in street clothes with a bum foot. Gosh, it could be all of these things. Great coaching will mitigate some of these factors, but all of them?

At any rate, this thread is entitled, "pretty sad." I must say, that's where I'm at concerning the 10-11 Gophers. From Puerto Rico to this, just plain sad.:cry:

Go Gophers!

I hear you. There are a lot of factors contributing to the slide and I don't think you can pin it on just one. Just too much goin on this year to overcome.

I'm worried for the future

I'm worried for the future. Will we continue to see recruits transfering in big numbers? Tubby recruited some athletes to run the floor and press some, but without depth we cant. Yet some of these recruits cannot shoot. We seem to have a lot of athelets, but not skilled basketball players. From what I hear Hollins and coleman are more of the same as far as shooting in concerned.

Tubby is unwilling to change at this point in his career. His way or no way. He takes 6 games to shake up a horrible starting lineup? He doesnt play his freshmen enough. He won't put up with a missed defensive assignment even though yanking that player will kill the offense.

Would we better off trying to find the next Painter, Ryan, or Izzo?

Let's face it, Minnesota high schools produce some good guards. Most of the big men from this state aren't athletic like Trevor, but most are highly skilled: Rickert, Lueur, Berggen, etc. Would any of them thrive in tubby's system?

I give Tubby one more year and if the program is still stalling I would definitely think of Miles or Jacobsen.

Why does our board always have to revolve around Wisconsin. Seriously. On the FB and BB boards, it seems like there at least 1 thread per night that references something about Becky.

Is this a joke? This post is coming from the guy whose 26 posts are each about Wisconsin. Yes - every single one.

I go over to the Wisconsin board and unless it's the week of the game not one word is mentioned about us... that ought to tell everyone something. Let's stop the constant Wisconsin comparisons

This is absolutely false. The Wisconsin boards talk about Minnesota damn near as much as they talk about their own team.

Top Bottom