PP: What is Gophers AD Mark Coyle going to do with Richard Pitino?

No idea what Coyle is going to do, but I have to say from my own point of view, my interest in this program is at as low a point as it has ever been, even during some of the really dark times (of which unfortunately, there have been a few). I just....these last few games have killed me, to lose like *that*, at home, with everything on the line, I just don't even know what to say, but I do know how I feel. I am utterly deflated and feeling really just a lack of hope for the future of this program. I feel hopeless, defeated, deflated, and as stated, just mentally and emotionally checked-out, because it's become no longer worth it to me to even bother anymore, and as a fan going back to the 1970's when I was a boy, that is the last, last place I would ever wish to be.

I've been fully behind Pitino from the very beginning, but this is enough. I've had it. I can't support him any longer, nor can I support his product. Honestly, I wish he'd just go away.

Motzko "could" end up being seen as a homerun hire. But I don't think you can say that yet.

#1 - yeah, he built up SCSU. But hasn't UMD won back to back titles and Minn-Mankato is ranked #3 right now and even Bemidji St is ranked ahead of UMn right now, or was a few days ago at least. So all of the other Minnesota based schools doing well may have more to do with the U's and B1G Conf's struggles, and with the NHL poaching so many top notch players from the U's roster than the coaches. Not saying UMD's coach has been just lucky, not even close, but SO FAR, all Motzko has shown is that he is good at recruiting, but did he not leave the cupboards full for his replacement? SCSU is struggling this season? Did the NHL discover SCSU and clear out the cupboards or was his #1 ranked SCSU team just full of senior and juniors who have since moved on? And my biggest question mark with Motzko is his lack of winning come March.

But don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for him, and if the NHL doesn't poach too many from our roster, the next year or two should be really good seasons, at least leading up to March, and then he'll have probably two good chances to prove he can win in March.

Motzko "could" end up being seen as a homerun hire. But I don't think you can say that yet.

#1 - yeah, he built up SCSU. But hasn't UMD won back to back titles and Minn-Mankato is ranked #3 right now and even Bemidji St is ranked ahead of UMn right now, or was a few days ago at least. So all of the other Minnesota based schools doing well may have more to do with the U's and B1G Conf's struggles, and with the NHL poaching so many top notch players from the U's roster than the coaches. Not saying UMD's coach has been just lucky, not even close, but SO FAR, all Motzko has shown is that he is good at recruiting, but did he not leave the cupboards full for his replacement? SCSU is struggling this season? Did the NHL discover SCSU and clear out the cupboards or was his #1 ranked SCSU team just full of senior and juniors who have since moved on? And my biggest question mark with Motzko is his lack of winning come March.

But don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for him, and if the NHL doesn't poach too many from our roster, the next year or two should be really good seasons, at least leading up to March, and then he'll have probably two good chances to prove he can win in March.
SCSU was putting out very good teams while the Gophers were in the WCHA (and playing very well in the WCHA) and when the BIG was having strong years (people forget 3 BIG teams made the 2018 frozen four), so I'm not sure your hypothesis is valid there.

The lack of winning in March is a fair criticism, but I have a hard time believing he just forgets how to coach in March, so I'm willing to chalk those up as rather fluky. He did make a frozen four in St. Cloud in I think 2013.

No idea what Coyle is going to do, but I have to say from my own point of view, my interest in this program is at as low a point as it has ever been, even during some of the really dark times (of which unfortunately, there have been a few). I just....these last few games have killed me, to lose like *that*, at home, with everything on the line, I just don't even know what to say, but I do know how I feel. I am utterly deflated and feeling really just a lack of hope for the future of this program. I feel hopeless, defeated, deflated, and as stated, just mentally and emotionally checked-out, because it's become no longer worth it to me to even bother anymore, and as a fan going back to the 1970's when I was a boy, that is the last, last place I would ever wish to be.

I've been fully behind Pitino from the very beginning, but this is enough. I've had it. I can't support him any longer, nor can I support his product. Honestly, I wish he'd just go away.
Totally agree with this sentiment. It really is a sad state.
:-(

There have been many signs of progress - significantly improved on ball and team defense, ball movement, etc. However, it’s not translating into consistent play. I get your frustration and want Pitino to be successful. However, a change at this point is understandable, absent an amazing run.

Top Bottom