PP: What is Gophers AD Mark Coyle going to do with Richard Pitino?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Since his own hire in 2016, Coyle has prided himself on making coaching hires without the help of search firms. He instead consults his own meticulous short lists of candidates for each sport, with previously listed candidates becoming his three most high-profile hires: football coach P.J. Fleck, men’s hockey coach Bob Motzko and women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen.

“I’m a nerd; I get it,” Coyle said after hiring Whalen in April 2018. “I’m prepared. I like to be very prepared. … If you came to my house in St. Paul, open up a desk drawer, I’ve got green files of every sport and coaches we want to go after. We constantly update that list because you never know when something is going to happen. If something happens, I believe you’ve got to go quickly.”

When Coyle fired football coach Tracy Claeys shortly after the 2016 season culminated in a Holiday Bowl victory over Washington State, Coyle talked about a need to “shake the tree” amid a crippling sexual misconduct scandal. In 2017-18, the Gophers men’s basketball team endured a regression to 15-17 and the expulsion of center Reggie Lynch after he was found “responsible” for two sexual assaults on campus. Coyle stuck by Pitino then.

Also in the firing of Claeys, Coyle called out the football program’s lagging recruiting rankings and attendance at TCF Bank Stadium. This can be applied to men’s basketball as well.

“Recruiting is the backbone of any program,” Coyle has said repeatedly.

Go Gophers!!

I hope we can all agree that we have a terrific AD who does his homework. These are complicated decisions and I hope we can all support what he does, whether it fits our opinion or not. This article tells us that the decision is not cut and dried yet. That might tick a lot of people off. I am behind him and the Gophers, however he decides is best to move forward.

Move quickly with no search committees! Love that.

I hope we can all agree that we have a terrific AD who does his homework. These are complicated decisions and I hope we can all support what he does, whether it fits our opinion or not. This article tells us that the decision is not cut and dried yet. That might tick a lot of people off. I am behind him and the Gophers, however he decides is best to move forward.

Move quickly with no search committees! Love that.
IALTO - the notion from the staunchest of Pitino's defenders that if he isn't fired the detractors somehow won't or don't support the program. Its laughable.

My job as a fan for me is to support the coach we have until the story plays out. I have been critical of this coach when I see fit but it is Coyle's job to put all the factors together. if that does in fact result in a change it will be because he found someone better, not in opinion but fact.

IALTO - the notion from the staunchest of Pitino's defenders that if he isn't fired the detractors somehow won't or don't support the program. Its laughable.
not sure why you would take that so personally....:)

per Greder:

Since his own hire in 2016, Coyle has prided himself on making coaching hires without the help of search firms. He instead consults his own meticulous short lists of candidates for each sport, with previously listed candidates becoming his three most high-profile hires: football coach P.J. Fleck, men’s hockey coach Bob Motzko and women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen.

“I’m a nerd; I get it,” Coyle said after hiring Whalen in April 2018. “I’m prepared. I like to be very prepared. … If you came to my house in St. Paul, open up a desk drawer, I’ve got green files of every sport and coaches we want to go after. We constantly update that list because you never know when something is going to happen. If something happens, I believe you’ve got to go quickly.”

When Coyle fired football coach Tracy Claeys shortly after the 2016 season culminated in a Holiday Bowl victory over Washington State, Coyle talked about a need to “shake the tree” amid a crippling sexual misconduct scandal. In 2017-18, the Gophers men’s basketball team endured a regression to 15-17 and the expulsion of center Reggie Lynch after he was found “responsible” for two sexual assaults on campus. Coyle stuck by Pitino then.

Also in the firing of Claeys, Coyle called out the football program’s lagging recruiting rankings and attendance at TCF Bank Stadium. This can be applied to men’s basketball as well.

“Recruiting is the backbone of any program,” Coyle has said repeatedly.

Go Gophers!!
PJ hire looks good so far.
Whalen and Motzko - the jury is out, far out.

PJ hire looks good so far.
Whalen and Motzko - the jury is out, far out.

Yes, but football is the backbone of any athletic department and Fleck looks like he might be the next coming of Christ himself if he can keep this up.:)

Motzko was a homerun hire. To be fair, it's easier for Gopher Hockey to hire an elite coach than other sports, but Motzko was absolutely a slam dunk.
Time will tell.

What success equates to home run hire for you?

Time will tell.

The guy turned SCSU into a college hockey power for crying out loud. I don't need time to tell me what Bob has done. The only other hire that may have been better at the time was Sandelin, but who knows if he would have even been interested.

The guy turned SCSU into a college hockey power for crying out loud. I don't need time to tell me what Bob has done. The only other hire that may have been better at the time was Sandelin, but who knows if he would have even been interested.
Define college hockey power.

Coyle has been amazing for our athletics department. You can say Motzko/Whalen haven't won at a crazy rate yet but if anyone says they were anything but a HR hire you are crazy. Just because they arent winning national titles in year 2 doesnt mean they were the wrong hire. Pitino was a young up and comer off a great season with a big name, he was the right hire at the time. It hasnt really worked and thats ok. Jim Harbaugh was 100% the right hire for Michigan football, have they won like they wanted, probably not but that doesnt mean the process was wrong. If you follow a logical process, over time it will work out.

So all faith in Coyle going forward and great to know he is meticulous and is constantly keeping on top of who he would like in the coaching ranks if the need arises.

Pitino will stay on and next year we’ll be good with or without Oturu.

Time will tell.

Winning the BIG conference with the youngest team in the country...sound familiar. You clearly have not been paying attention, hockey team is on the rise.

Coyle has been amazing for our athletics department. You can say Motzko/Whalen haven't won at a crazy rate yet but if anyone says they were anything but a HR hire you are crazy. Just because they arent winning national titles in year 2 doesnt mean they were the wrong hire. Pitino was a young up and comer off a great season with a big name, he was the right hire at the time. It hasnt really worked and thats ok. Jim Harbaugh was 100% the right hire for Michigan football, have they won like they wanted, probably not but that doesnt mean the process was wrong. If you follow a logical process, over time it will work out.

So all faith in Coyle going forward and great to know he is meticulous and is constantly keeping on top of who he would like in the coaching ranks if the need arises.
Coming off what great season ! He was 18-14 and 11-9 conference.

Winning the BIG conference with the youngest team in the country...sound familiar. You clearly have not been paying attention, hockey team is on the rise.
On the rise from what?

That is very poorly written. What is your point?

Coming off what great season ! He was 18-14 and 11-9 conference.

I know. It's so easy to find the correct information these days before typing "coming off one so-so head coaching season" instead of "coming off a great season." To suggest that Pitino accomplished anything of particular note before being hired here is ludicrous.

No, he won't.

There is a lot going on in Coyle's office right now.

I can't imagine that he will be around next year but I suppose it's possible that we could be wrong. I suppose that something highly improbable like winning four of the last five and two in the conference tournament could save him.

I think Coyle should hire Pitino’s Dad. Duo coaching staff. I think we have a good shot of winning the Big Ten and making noise in the dance. Go Gophers!

I can't imagine that he will be around next year but I suppose it's possible that we could be wrong. I suppose that something highly improbable like winning four of the last five and two in the conference tournament could save him.
I think Coyle is smarter than that. How the last few games of season 7 play out should have very little weight over how 7 seasons have played out, and over how the future looks for Gopher hoops.

He should use the Maturi method:
Express confidence by giving Pitino a raise and extension and put us on the hook for a bigger buyout. Then fire him next year a third of the way into the season. If he does that they will rename Williams Arena after Coyle.

He should use the Maturi method:
Express confidence by giving Pitino a raise and extension and put us on the hook for a bigger buyout. Then fire him next year a third of the way into the season. If he does that they will rename Williams Arena after Coyle.
Love the humor in that post.

But why is it strangely scary that this prophecy might come true?

And for those that want to raise the Barn (as opposed to its floor), I’m not sure they’d be happy to just rename it to the “Coyle Barn” instead.

I think Coyle is smarter than that. How the last few games of season 7 play out should have very little weight over how 7 seasons have played out, and over how the future looks for Gopher hoops.

Agreed. I was just allowing for the possibility, however slim.

Top Bottom