Potential Lineups for this Season

If Fox is healthy, I'm guessing most people won't even realize Wilson is on the team.
I love what a healthy Fox brings to the court. There is a real chance Wilson seriously contributes. If you study his HS and college years you can figure out some stuff most have not or can not. Then listen to what he says and what CBJ says about him. He is one of the wild cards on this team, but it is complicated.

I love what a healthy Fox brings to the court. There is a real chance Wilson seriously contributes. If you study his HS and college years you can figure out some stuff most have not or can not. Then listen to what he says and what CBJ says about him. He is one of the wild cards on this team, but it is complicated.
No there isn't, and there isn't even a reason to pretend there is. He is use in case of emergency only. If he surprises, then great, but there are a number of guys we need to worry about contributing before Wilson. Christie/Betts/Ihnen/Fox are much more important unknowns who need to succeed before we even think about needing Wilson to contribute.

No need to worry about Christie, Betts, Ihnen, and Fox. You are wasting energy to worry about them contributing. Our only real concern is our thinnest position center. If Payne doesn’t stay 100% healthy or struggles with fouls we have problems. I gave you all the clues you needed to understand what we have in Wilson and you were too intellectually lazy to research those clues. Maybe couldn’t put the information together if you found it. Wilson should be our biggest concern. We will need quality play from him. Moving Garcia in to play center for any minutes is what many say here. He is the only other with enough bulk to play there. Any time you have to make bad substitutions you open it for the other team to go on a run. Huge mistake that loses games. A 220 pound substitution at center is a game loser. I want this team to win. And it can.

Last edited:

No need to worry about Christie, Betts, Ihnen, and Fox. You are wasting energy to worry about them contributing. Our only real concern is our thinnest position center. If Payne doesn’t stay 100% healthy or struggles with fouls we have problems. I gave you all the clues you needed to understand what we have in Wilson and you were too intellectually lazy to research those clues. Maybe couldn’t put the information together if you found it. Wilson should be our biggest concern. We will need quality play from him. Moving Garcia in to play center for any minutes is what many say here. He is the only other with enough bulk to play there. Any time you have to make bad substitutions you open it for the other team to go on a run. Huge mistake that loses games. A 220 pound substitution at center is a game loser. I want this team to win. And it can.
If Wilson averages greater than 2 minutes per game this season (factoring in DNP's as 0 minutes), I will be shocked. It's pretty arrogant to assume you know more than literally every college basketball coach that passed on Wilson or chose not to play him when he was on their roster. Is every other coach out there also intellectually lazy? Posters have already done a deep dive on Wilson. The thread was like 1,000+ posts lmao

Last edited:

If we're not worried about Fox, why are we worried about being thin at center?

If Wilson can come in for 5 minutes a game to bang around, give a couple of fouls and maybe get a rebound or a putback, that's all they really need him for.

Obviously, key is Payne staying out of foul trouble. If Payne is on the bench with 2 fouls after the first 6 minutes of the game, then it's a problem.

But if the Gophers can get a consistent 25-30 minutes a game from Payne, then they only need 10-15 minutes a game from a rotation of Wilson and Fox - and Garcia can slide into the 5 if the other team is playing a smaller lineup. but I suspect/hope that a lot of the substitution will be based on situations and the other team's lineup.

6’8” 210 pounds. B1G center. You are a laugh a minute. I quickly recognized you nissed it once and would miss it again.
Granted it was a different era, but I remember a thin 6' 8" Freshman center for Michigan outplayed IU's All-American and eventual number one draft pick center Kent Benson, who was 2 inches taller and probably 20-30 pounds heavier. Of course not many players have the skill of Phil Hubbard.

Every coach
If Wilson averages greater than 2 minutes per game this season (factoring in DNP's as 0 minutes), I will be shocked. It's pretty arrogant to assume you know more than literally every college basketball coach that passed on Wilson or chose not to play him when he was on their roster. Is every other coach out there
EVERY coach who doesn't pick a transfer didn't pass on him.
The player may have passed on the school; the coach may not have needed him; the player and the school probably never considered each other.
The fact that I didn't marry a super-model doesn't mean I passed on them all.
I'm not THAT bleeping stupid!

Sadly, if the staff finds out Wilson is not up to playing BT ball expect the phantom injury and out for the year.

Don’t worry. He is ready. Another stealth weapon. CBJ is transforming into coaching genius. Few know sports well enough to see it.
Ryan James on 247 did an analysis after watching tape on Wilson. His opinion is that Wilson has value taking space, setting solid screens, will be a force in the paint., plays hard, moves well, was a Wizzou fan favorite and his team mates appreciated his work. Opposing players wanted nothing to do with him.

I will take his viewpoint over that of anyone here.

If Fox is healthy, I'm guessing most people won't even realize Wilson is on the team.
Wilson was brought in to battle Payne in practice and as a second option against teams with big physically dominating centers, ie Illinois, Purdue, and Wisconsin.

Every coach

EVERY coach who doesn't pick a transfer didn't pass on him.
The player may have passed on the school; the coach may not have needed him; the player and the school probably never considered each other.
The fact that I didn't marry a super-model doesn't mean I passed on them all.
I'm not THAT bleeping stupid!
You equate Wilson to a super model? Not sure that analogy works as good as you think.

Ryan James on 247 did an analysis after watching tape on Wilson. His opinion is that Wilson has value taking space, setting solid screens, will be a force in the paint., plays hard, moves well, was a Wizzou fan favorite and his team mates appreciated his work. Opposing players wanted nothing to do with him.

Opposing players rarely had to deal with him. He doesn't play much.

You crazy, man.
I have a request Rockraven. I haven't been on this board for too long, but I enjoy reading opinions and information relative to Gopher basketball here, even when those opinions differ from mine.

What bothers me is when the comments are belittling and insulting. You're not the only one doing this, but it generally results in a back and forth filled with insults and arguments about "who's right." This is a disservice to all of the people who use this board, and I would respectfully ask if you could consider this in any future posts. We all would like to continue to enjoy the use of this board.

Thanks for your consideration.

I have a request Rockraven. I haven't been on this board for too long, but I enjoy reading opinions and information relative to Gopher basketball here, even when those opinions differ from mine.

What bothers me is when the comments are belittling and insulting. You're not the only one doing this, but it generally results in a back and forth filled with insults and arguments about "who's right." This is a disservice to all of the people who use this board, and I would respectfully ask if you could consider this in any future posts. We all would like to continue to enjoy the use of this board.

Thanks for your consideration.
True.
Sometimes this board is like two skunks in a pissing contest.

He has surprised his new teammates too. Very good footwork, decent handle, but we need offensive rebounding and thunder dunks.

Maybe we should play 2 point guards and a shooting guard. At least at times based on good coaching.

I agree.
Mix 3-guard offense with (2-guard +a (6'8"wing) offense and give the opposing defense multiple changing matchup issues.

I agree.
Mix 3-guard offense with (2-guard +a (6'8"wing) offense and give the opposing defense multiple changing matchup issues.
With our quality depth we can be match up hell for most teams.

Top Bottom