Post Game Thread: Gophers Have Massive Meltdown Again, Fall to 0-10 to Bielema, Fail Again With BTW In Grasp

Failure to recruit and/or develop a competent qb killed us. It has nothing to do with Fleck but that. We were in a position to win at the end of the game but our defense collapsed against a cold backup qb for the other team and our quarterback cannot hit the broadside of a barn. Poor play calling, shit pass accuracy, no looking off receivers, poor mechanics.

Fix it or replace it. Too late to fix it. No name IL qb #2 who hasn't played any significant time all year looked more confident and light years ahead of our starter who's been playing all year.

Coaching staff drew up a great play on 3rd & with 3 min left. TE is wide open just past the sticks. Easy throw and catch. Easy as it gets actually. And we sail the pass 5 feet over the TE’s head. Not even close.

How in the hell does that happen??

A first down there and we’re sitting golden. The rest is history.

Coaching staff drew up a great play on 3rd & with 3 min left. TE is wide open just past the sticks. Easy throw and catch. Easy as it gets actually. And we sail the pass 5 feet over the TE’s head. Not even close.

It's totally unacceptable. That's a throw a high school kid with no sniff at a junior college opportunity can make happen.

With Ferentz off the table, PJ is now Bielema's biotch

Time for regime change. No accountability from Fleck other than coach speak . Terrible product Terrible program Bad coaches and too many bad players.

This was it - the best chance to ever win a title of any sort. Next year the TV greed kicks in with the B10 loaded with nationally ranked teams over which the Gophers will never prevail. If MN couldn't climb over Wisconsin and Iowa for years, they'll never climb over UCLA, Washington, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon and the rest of them This was the year, but Bielema really does have a hex on Minnesota, regardless of the coach.

Going to ignore the over the top stupidity that will surely get posted in this thread and all the others but extremely disappointing loss.

No way should they have been able to get that last TD, someone on D has to make a play and the one guy you can't let get open gets wide open for the final TD. And to top it off it was their backup QB under center for the last part of the series. Just can't happen but has happened multiple times this year now.

I was also not a fan of the 3rd and 9 running play late in the 2nd quarter before the field goal to go up 17-14. We were already in field goal range so those 4 yards didn't change anything in terms of the kick....no reason not to try and get the first down there.

Crooms with the dropped TD was huge, not being able to punch it in when we had it deep in their territory after the Joyner strip sack.....so many missed opportunities.

And the coaches need to figure out why our passing game can look good in the first half but be non-existent in the second half.

Super frustrating loss, have to regroup and get ready for Purdue and most importantly make sure we take care of business against Wisconsin at the end of the year. West may be out of the picture but can still salvage some things by making a bowl and keeping the Axe.

The only creative thing about the Gophers is how they lose games. I'm shocked, but then again, not really. Fourth and 11 at their 15 with 1:25 left and a backup off the bench with zero timeouts. Three plays, 85 yards...

This one is just another chapter for the book someone should write about incredible meltdowns by the Minnesota Gopher Football team.

Last edited:

I think we have to accept that PJ is never going to be aggressive or strike when the iron is hot. As long as MN is ahead by even 1 point or within a TD he’s going to be ultra conservative until panic time at the end of games.

AK is horribly inconsistent. Saw some nice throws and a return to the wild fastballs. He has lost whatever athletic qualities he demonstrated last season.

The soft zone, rushing three thing against non-elite college QBs is really questionable. I don’t get it, but am willing to listen to someone explain why it’s a smart approach. Pitch and catch. IL 79% passing on the day.

MN with 260 yards of offense. Turnovers were almost the savior again.

It’s almost comical at this point. The Big Ten West -and perhaps the Big Ten - is terrible this year. That said, wouldn’t surprise me if MN runs the table.

Absolutely!!! It was a brutal play call.
I mean if you totally fool the D it is a great play but when you don't fool them at all then having a WR throw to your QB who is well covered......yeah......not going to work.

Going for the element of surprise but Illinois just didn't bite at all.

The defense may have collapsed, but if the offense could ever sustain a drive when it mattered, the defense wouldn't be in that position. AK is lousy but unfortunately there's no alternative on the roster. I started following this team during the Rose Bowl years and it's been down hill ever since. Just a slow learner, I guess.

Also, this team should be 7-2, but losses to both Illinois teams are just what we continue to get from PJ fleck coached teams. His best years as the Gophers coach is behind him, it sickens me to say this, but it seems obviously evident to me.

This play I yelled at the screen for him to cut it back inside... and laughed when he didn't as you see illustrated here, he had room to get close to a first down, if not get the first down, but for some reason he ran toward the sideline. Next play he again could have won it but threw the crazy high fastball way over the head of the TE... AK really had chances against his home state.

If AK is the starter next year, take the under for total wins on the Vegas ticket next year.

The Arkansa kid should start from day 1.

Top Bottom