Post Game Thread: Gophers Get Crushed by Michigan

Find your post and link i Oh wise one

Big Arsenal game this morning….

Big Arsenal game this morning….
Quite the rant. I’ll admit I hold many of the same beers, but it Didn’t foretell the beatdown of last night

Cash our B10 TV checks and funnel every penny of NIL money we have to our men's and women's hockey programs and focus on something we're good at. Nobody in MN is going to be watching our football and hoops teams in five (5) years anyways.
I’m not ready to bail on football for NIL, but you’re correct regarding hockey. The women’s sport I’d choose to fund is volleyball.

Last edited:

Rebuilding year. This team isn’t good right now, borderline bad outside of some individual bright spots. ...As a MN fan we need to temper expectations a little bit. Appreciate the small victories. Finish the season strong and this is all forgotten. Defeat Kirk. PJ has earned the spot and down years happen. If, for example, the team quits on him this year or next then a reassessment should happen.
Back to 2018 then...

Have to admit felt good after the GT bowl win looking forward to 2019...and we know how that turned out...

Of course the D had been righted and we had discovered Mo was a bowling ball...Big Dan was pancaking players...Tanner was proving capable...and knew Bateman and Johnson could play.

6 games left (maybe +1 more) to reach a similar point for 2024...

Staying Calm and Gophering On...

How do you lose 52-10 and only attempt 16 passes. it the second half we kept running on first and second down and then pass on 3rd and 9. hard to be successful. Fleck is so worried about winning time of possession ( which we did!!! ) that in earlier games when the Gophers were winning, he kept running instead of working on the passing game. this team passes like a service academy. it todays game, you need to be able to throw the ball as well as run. AK has regressed from last year, he is painful to watch. dont think the OC does him any favors with always behind the sticks. I dont think this Gopher team will make a bowl game this year

Fleck is who he is.

He has a formula. Run the ball, pass sparingly and safely, avoid mistakes, play for time of possession, and have a defense that keeps other teams in check.

when it works, the Gophers have had good seasons. but when it doesn't work, it can get ugly.

the question is - does Fleck's formula work in the new world of NIL and the transfer portal?

the real helmet schools generally avoid down years - but if you're not in the top 15 level, a lot of teams have up and down years depending on talent, injuries, etc.

so, is this a blip, or are the Gophers on a downward cycle? we just don't know yet.

my key question - is Fleck capable of adjusting the formula? again, we just don't know yet.

Feeling kind of upbeat after seeing the Gophers won the battle for time of possession. 31:12 to 28:48

Pray tell what players has Minnesota lost to the bigs after developing them at Minnesota?
Irving is the first big one. Potts is at Penn state. Guessing Darius Taylor is next

Pretty evident that the Gophers don’t have the alumni (rich and generous) that wants to support the football team with NIL money. Maybe it’s time to start a movement for corresponding schools - like Northwestern, Indiana, etc… all those level 2 teams that can’t compete with the big dogs to form a new conference. I realize we lose tv revenue but might be worth it if it leads to putting a competitive team on the field. Still will draw the 25000 to 30000 that we will see later this year.

Pretty evident that the Gophers don’t have the alumni (rich and generous) that wants to support the football team with NIL money. Maybe it’s time to start a movement for corresponding schools - like Northwestern, Indiana, etc… all those level 2 teams that can’t compete with the big dogs to form a new conference. I realize we lose tv revenue but might be worth it if it leads to putting a competitive team on the field. Still will draw the 25000 to 30000 that we will see later this year.
Eventually something similar to this may happen but we’re 5-10 years away from it taking place.

This isn't even a realistic option as this would mean leaving the Big10. If you remove that TV revenue from the athletic budget that would result in a death sentence for half of the other athletic programs where we need the money.

That sounds like the MAC.

McCarthy threw 2 pick sixes against TCU last year and Michigan still almost won that game. That's how good they are as a team.
Agree, they are very good. Big, strong, fast, physical, deep, well coached. 0 turnovers, 1 penalty.

I wanted to stop by after the game and say something. I don't think there would be anything I could say to make the Gopher fans feel better, so I waited till Monday. Looking forward to the Gophers' next game and WIN!!

Any word in injuries after the game? I noticed Zach and Bryce didn’t finish it out. What’s up with them? Any one else?

Like the equity in MLB payrolls?
Is baseball a good analogy? Viewership is up a little bit this year, sure, with some changes. But baseball has fallen way behind the NFL in fan interest and probably CFB and NBA too.. Lots of reasons but lack of parity has to be high on the list. A big difference between MLB and CFB, though, is the draft. A Tampa Bay or KC can draft and develop players and beat the high payrolls, but ultimately can't pay players in the long run. There's no CFB equivalent. I don't see the P4 instituting a draft.

My Michigan buddy text these to me today! 😏

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

I was expecting Michigan would win it but I had a tiny sliver of hope that the Gophers under the lights in front of a sellout crowd would put up a fight and get an upset.

And then the very first play happens and it's a pick six. To be honest I didn't bother to keep watching the second half of the game, figured it would get ugly and it did.

So, two things can be true. One, Minnesota played likely the best team they will face this year. Michigan looks fantastic and I think this is the year they win the CFP. Two, despite playing one of the top teams in the country, the Gophers looked really rough out there.

Athan's play is concerning, the offense overall has issues and the defense doesn't inspire much confidence. It's not a terrible team, they've done enough to win three and there's potential for more, but the losses have shown this is certainly a step back type year.

A positive is there's still half a season left to go. There are two trophies up for grabs and winnable games on the schedule. Use the bye-week to regroup, get a few more wins, hopefully against rivals and go to a bowl.

As for where the team goes from here after this season. I think Fleck is still the right person at this time, same with Rossi. It's been rough but I think their resumes give them enough leeway. On the offensive side, I think something new will have to happen with OC. Depending on how the rest of the year goes, keep an eye out for a QB in the transfer portal, too.

Top Bottom