POST GAME THREAD: Gophers Get Convincing Win Over MSU

Post was referring to the gophers coming out last Saturday to a half full stadium after taking down Iowa the week before in a big win for the program, I would think that’s kind of a buzz kill.
Half full?

Over 47000 announced attendance.

You don't help your case with gross exaggerations.

As I mentioned in post #106, Minnesota currently is in the fourth largest metro area and will drop to sixth next year so going by metro area is also off the mark.
None of it really matters. Madison is much smaller and Wisconsin is similar population to Minnesota. Camp Randall seats 80k and its full.

Half full?

Over 47000 announced attendance.

You don't help your case with gross exaggerations.
Sure. I have season tickets to the wild and they announced a sell out every game. Just because they sell them doesn’t mean they show up. I listened to the game and Grimm said a half full stadium twice in the first half. I wasn’t there I didn’t watch it but my hearing is good unless my wife is talking then it’s just ok.

Again, it wasn't half full or half empty, since you are using both. Explained it in post #92. Queen was also in town for two sold out shows.
No idea what Queen does but it must have been an awful dilemma for college football fans to chose between a Big Ten game and something called Queen.

L
Sure. I have season tickets to the wild and they announced a sell out every game. Just because they sell them doesn’t mean they show up. I listened to the game and Grimm said a half full stadium twice in the first half. I wasn’t there I didn’t watch it but my hearing is good unless my wife is talking then it’s just ok.
Wait...you werent there, and didnt watch on TV, but you feel qualified to assess the stadium as "half full."

Hard to take you seriously.

No idea what Queen does but it must have been an awful dilemma for college football fans to chose between a Big Ten game and something called Queen.
If queen was playing in Madison last night it would have still been full. Based on the average age at the gopher games I’ve been to it could have been a factor. Or if the eagles were playing. That all said I have never been to a game at the new stadium I didn’t have a great time at. It’s a fun atmosphere and a really nice stadium. The small part makes it cool because there are no bad seats. We went to Michigan for a game on time and we were like a mile from the field and we were in the stadium.

L
Wait...you werent there, and didnt watch on TV, but you feel qualified to assess the stadium as "half full."

Hard to take you seriously.
Dude. Like I said I listened to the whole game. Blame Mike Grimm he said half full and they were talking about the empty seats. Im sure he just made that up to piss off his employer.

None of it really matters. Madison is much smaller and Wisconsin is similar population to Minnesota. Camp Randall seats 80k and its full.
We don't draw from Minneapolis alone. Nor does OSU draw from Columbus alone. Ohio has much larger population but many DI programs.
The whole conversation started with a claim that the U of M is in the largest city in the B1G. Whether it is measured by the population of Minneapolis or the metro area, it is not a factual claim either way.

The whole conversation started with a claim that the U of M is in the largest city in the B1G. Whether it is measured by the population of Minneapolis or the metro area, it is not a factual claim either way.
It is also not factual for anyone -- don't think you have -- to suggest the population of the city or area where the university is sited has anything to do with support of college football.

Geez, tells me a lot about you have no idea who Queen is and how someone might choose to spend their entertainment $$. Wait, you do have Dakota in your moniker, so that might explain it.

Geez, tells me a lot about you have no idea who Queen is and how someone might choose to spend their entertainment $$. Wait, you do have Dakota in your moniker, so that might explain it.
Doubt if Dakota has much to do with it although I dare say more than a few folks west of you would know nothing or care about something called Queen in comparison with college football. If you do, that tells me quite a bit too.

Entertainment money? Hilarious.

The shot of Tyler Nubin running down the sideline after Jordan's first TD was really cool. Their post game joint interview was a lot of fun too including the nugget from Jordan that his Madden battles with his brother don't go well for him.

It's impressive that PJ/Harbaugh/Callahan/Mckissic-Luke can get this much out of the running game when they are down to running back's 4 and 5. It's odd that the season started with Tyler/Williams sharing the load against Nebraska and now you might say that Taylor/Evans/Nubin are all better backs? Kind of reminds me of a couple years ago when Cam Wiley and Williams were initially playing ahead of Irving and Thomas.

The defense really saved us with holding MSU to fg's on the fumbles early in the first half. Being down 6-0 instead of 14-0 (or even 10-0?) might have been the difference between winning this game and suffering another really bad home loss.

The interception from Athan really doesn't inspire confidence and I am not sure he should have thrown the ball down the sidelines that Daniel Jackson came down with earlier in the game either.

It's hard to know how to feel about this team, but winning is always better than losing especially in football where each loss dramatically changes the ceiling of your season. We're one game closer to making that trip to Indy a reality and lets hope we can say that again next Saturday.

They way Burns says HarrrrBow in the gridiron podcast kinda bugs me.

although I dare say more than a few folks west of you would know nothing or care about something called Queen

Ah...no...in fact, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone (at least an adult) who said that he had never heard of Queen. I've never been a huge fan of theirs (even before Freddy Mercury's death) but I find complete ignorance of them to be astonishing.

I for one take the position that Queen ceased to exist when Freddy died. Freddy is irreplaceable. one of the greatest voices and front men in rock history.

the group is now billed as Queen+Adam Lambert. although the reviews of their shows were positive. saw a few clips online and Lambert has a decent voice - but he's not Freddy Mercury.

Ah...no...in fact, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone (at least an adult) who said that he had never heard of Queen. I've never been a huge fan of theirs (even before Freddy Mercury's death) but I find complete ignorance of them to be astonishing.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm buying that someone who is over the age of 25 couldn't be aware of Queen. They are one of the most iconic rock bands of all time. They've had movies made about them or featuring them. I'm not a country music fan but even I've heard of and heard songs from the legends of country. You'd have to be living under a rock to not know about bands like Queen, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, etc.

I for one take the position that Queen ceased to exist when Freddy died. Freddy is irreplaceable. one of the greatest voices and front men in rock history.

the group is now billed as Queen+Adam Lambert. although the reviews of their shows were positive. saw a few clips online and Lambert has a decent voice - but he's not Freddy Mercury.
Freddy is/was still the greatest rock voice of all time. But I think someone could still probably have fun seeing them in concert with Adam Lambert.

What is astonishing is not so much your post-education status but that you morons are entirely conflicted about whether to spend your "entertainment" money on Big Ten football or something called Queen. Such a dilemma for the children.

What is astonishing is not so much your post-education status but that you morons are entirely conflicted about whether to spend your "entertainment" money on Big Ten football or something called Queen. Such a dilemma for the children.
How many big ten football or hockey games have you attended this year?

Generally solid performance by the defense. MSU got 2 FG off of MN turnovers. after that, they didn't do squat until they put in the backup QB and he started running.

For the Gophers, it was a very Fleckish game - minus the turnovers. Control the ball, control time of possession. AK looked sharper throwing the ball in the 1st half.

Yes, I was cringing a little on J Nubin running the ball 40 times. But Tyler is now buried even deeper in the doghouse, so if Taylor or Evans can't play next week, I think we see Marquese Williams.
Right now, because of injuries, I believe Tyler is #2 on the "available" depth chart ... I think PJ threw down a challenge to Tyler this week: hold onto the ball! I'll bet Tyler gets a look early in this week's game. Hope we call plays that feature Tyler's strengths not weaknesses (RUTM). Hope Tyler is productive and shares playing time with Nubin, keeping Nubin's touches to a number that doesn't unreasonably heighten injury risk. Hope both Nubin and Tyler are reasonably fresh for the 4th. If we do see Marquese Williams in the line-up--which I wouldn't mind, just to see how he looks--that is a bad sign for Tyler.

How many big ten football or hockey games have you attended this year?
Precisely none, and the issue is football. I have never attended a Big Ten hockey game.

Next question: How many Big Ten football games did you attend during the 54 years between 1964 and 2018 when I was attending every home Gopher game except two that I missed not be able to arrange my foreign travel satisfactorily? How many did you attend the 37 years I was a season ticket holder up until 2018 when I quit delaying my departure to Florida in favor of the games (and gave my tickets up).

Also wondering how many home Gopher basketball games you attended during the 28 years I had six seats?

I'll wait for your answers.

Last edited:

There's an old saying that "all work and no play makes John a dull boy." I guess in your case we could rework that as "All sports and no culture makes Dakota an ignorant asshole with delusions of grandeur."

If we do see Marquese Williams in the line-up--which I wouldn't mind, just to see how he looks--that is a bad sign for Tyler.

I grew up not too far from Harrisburg and, at this point, don't have a lot of faith in Tyler so I'd prefer to see Marquese Williams over seeing further experimentation with Tyler.

I was there. It was more than half full. North of 40k easy. 42 to 47?

There's an old saying that "all work and no play makes John a dull boy." I guess in your case we could rework that as "All sports and no culture makes Dakota an ignorant asshole with delusions of grandeur."
I see. Something called Queen is "culture" in the post-education world. Seems like you fit that well.

Precisely none, and the issue is football. I have never attended a Big Ten hockey game.

Next question: How many Big Ten football games did you attend during the 54 years between 1964 and 2018 when I was attending every home Gopher game except two that I missed not be able to arrange my foreign travel satisfactorily? How many did you attend the 37 years I was a season ticket holder up until 2018 when I quit delaying my departure to Florida in favor of the games (and gave my tickets up).

Also wondering how many home Gopher basketball games you attended during the 28 years I had six seats?

I'll wait for your answers.
You are (apparently) considerably older than me. So I wasn't alive for a lot of the years you mention but I'm right there with you although my tickets have been more of a mix of football, men's and women's hockey, volleyball, and basketball. Also have done many Gopher hockey road trips (next weekend will be my 3rd of 2023).

Back to Queen - you've never heard We Are the Champions or We Will Rock You? They have been played at sporting events since the late 70s. Bohemian Rhapsody? I wouldn't even consider myself a Queen fan and I was a toddler at their peak of popularity but I still know all their hits. They're everywhere.

Overall, can't complain much with the win. I was thinking it was dicey when it was still 4 point game in 4th, but didn't have to sweat out final couple minutes.

AK was much more accurate today. Both of his turnovers were rough, and he has to throw it away on that late 2nd quarter rollout/tfl before TD, but overall, encouraging performance.

O line was good. Great to see BSF make that nice catch in middle. Who had Nubin with absolute monster rushing game on their bingo card? Outstanding.

Solid game again for the defense. Our run defense continues to be stingy. Line got good pressure.

Don't want to overstate a win over Sparty when they are clearly having a long season, but bring on the Illini!
Is Jah Joyner held every play, or just every other?

Top Bottom