Post Game Thread - Gophers Crush Aggies

I'd like us to schedule tougher opppnants in the future. That was pretty boring to watch.
But hopefully it gives the guys some good confidence, hopefully we will handle Colorado with ease, then 3-0 for the showdown with Michigan State on the road.

I'd like us to schedule tougher opppnants in the future. That was pretty boring to watch.
I kind of like the one FCS, one G5, one P5 schedule for the success of the team. Of course 3 p5s is more fun to watch though. Who knows how scheduling will work once the mega conferences kick in.

No exhibition games in college football so you need a couple of cupcakes.

That is incorrect.
He played, a lot, and had one catch.

Also looked like he got back in PJ's doghouse for at least a little bit. Camera caught PJ snapping at him and giving him the coach glare. Wright did not look happy, but he did go back in after so hopefully they are all good now.

Great Night. Got to campus early, enjoyed The Market, enjoyed the win. 9/10. This is not a complaint - but something that I noticed. Why do we set up for a fair catch on every punt? We line up 10 near the line - block/ don’t rush / and leave no choice at all but to fair catch. Do other teams do this on every punt? Is this the cyber-metrics of CFB?

I was recently listening to a podcast and they were talking about the three greatest factors to win a game and "possession of the ball" was essentially the biggest one. (Ties in with the 78%).

On a punt return, you can do two things wrong.
1. Have a defensive penalty that provides a team a first down.
2. Fumble - turnover the ball.

Both would fall into a negative big play category.

The positives that can happen (other than just gaining possession) is that you may accumulate additional yardage. In doing so however, you probably increase your chances of fumbling. (Guy in motion being hit by a gunner).

I'm guessing this has been analyzed, and if you are a head coach like PJ who is all about time possession and limiting mistakes, it's an easy decision to just gain possession of the ball without penalty and call it a win. Then let your veteran offense who doesn't turn over the ball much to go ahead and control more clock and break down the defense.

Summary, it's all about avoiding risk / mistakes.

I'd like to see QB3, AK8 earlier next Saturday once we are up. The redshirt is gone, get him some game experience with time on the clock.
I think the four game rule still applies to red shirting.

Damn! Hope it was minor. This is his year to shine
To me it looked like he was pointing at his hamstring or glute so I hope it was just a bad cramp or strain and they kept him out the rest of the game as a precaution.

Defense played well in the first half, but kinda stumbled a bit in the second. Also would've love to see a more balanced attack.
Not sure what you mean about the defense. They basically allowed the same number of yards in each half. I was actually surprised at the amount of passing, figured this game would be heavy run.

Last edited:

NMSU had two deep safeties the whole game. I think ol’ Jer was content to have us run for 8 YPC to keep the score down. Dylan looked disinterested at times which is my only concern beyond Axel’s injury. Easiest win we’ve had in a decade or more.
Easiest win in about a year. The 30-0 win at Colorado. Buffaloes had 82 total yards. Stats for both games are shockingly similar.

To me it looked like he was pointing at his hamstring or glute so I hope it was just a bad cramp or strain and they kept him out the rest of the game as a precaution.
I can see that, hot and humid night. Uniforms looked black from all the sweat by halftime. Definitely an environment to get a cramp.

I liked that Mo and Trey looked healthy out there.
I liked that a ton of guys got reps.
Small sample size and OL evaluation isn't my strength, but I thought Ersery looked good out there.
I liked that the defense allowed hardly anything all game and Rossi still lost his mind when that NMSU WR got behind everybody when it was like 31-0.

I didn't like that 18 out of the first 22 plays were runs.
I didn't like that Mo had something like 20(!) carries in a half in his first game of an Achilles injury against an overmatched team.
I didn't like that none of Wright, Spann-Ford, Brown-Stephens, etc made a play that would suggest they are going to be a big time playmaker this year (this probably goes back to point 1 in this section and lack of opportunities).
I know the opponent stunk, but BSF looked like a different animal this year blocking. I know it's not the play you were talking about.

If I was the coach of this game, Mo would have had about 15 carries, Potts would have had a few less too. Bryce Williams would have had considerably more than 4 carries. It's a small nit and it's something I'll always disagree with PJ on.

Great Night. Got to campus early, enjoyed The Market, enjoyed the win. 9/10. This is not a complaint - but something that I noticed. Why do we set up for a fair catch on every punt? We line up 10 near the line - block/ don’t rush / and leave no choice at all but to fair catch. Do other teams do this on every punt? Is this the cyber-metrics of CFB?
serious question, whats 'The Market' ?

It's a strategy.

The idea is that over the course of a year you are more likely to have things go bad than go well on a punt return (fumbles, injuries, muffed punt, running into kicker, clipping penalty, fake punt), so that you go into safe mode on the opponents punt - - lightly rush (to keep them honest) and fair catch. If you need too much to catch the punt, just let it bounce (like don't make running fair catches).

There is also the idea that in the college game, the guy who might be your most sure-handed might not be your most dynamic with the ball in their hands.

I'm not saying I agree with it but that's the theory. I'm pretty agnostic to it. For example, we returned 15 punts all of last season. Ohio State returned 20 and Alabama (in two more games) only returned 19.
We’re also pretty consistent with our special teams mentality. Having kesich boot it out of the back of the end zone every time rather than trying to hit a high kick so we can pin them inside the 25 is definitely about reducing the possibility of things going wrong. Don’t have the necessarily agree with the special teams approach, but it definitely feels intentional and thought out, and I think it makes sense based on the way we approach the rest of the game.

I get that, but it's a necessary part of the sport. The New Mexico State's of the world can't exist if they don't get paid to lose to P5 teams.
Yeah if pay day games ended it would eliminate a lot of teams, maybe not football but a lot of programs would have to cut other sports. They make a good chunk of their budget with these games.

IIRC during the covid year B1G even promised the teams who got cancellations that they would still get their money if they couldn't reschedule. They knew how much those other schools rely on these games.

Top Bottom