Post Game Thread - Gophers Crush Aggies

I liked that Mo and Trey looked healthy out there.
I liked that a ton of guys got reps.
Small sample size and OL evaluation isn't my strength, but I thought Ersery looked good out there.
I liked that the defense allowed hardly anything all game and Rossi still lost his mind when that NMSU WR got behind everybody when it was like 31-0.

I didn't like that 18 out of the first 22 plays were runs.
I didn't like that Mo had something like 20(!) carries in a half in his first game of an Achilles injury against an overmatched team.
I didn't like that none of Wright, Spann-Ford, Brown-Stephens, etc made a play that would suggest they are going to be a big time playmaker this year (this probably goes back to point 1 in this section and lack of opportunities).
Fair thoughts, I do think we ran more than we will against better competitors because they flat out couldn’t stop us.

I’m glad QB2 and QB3 played

Second, two the three B10 Network cable outlets (Cox Cable here) had incessant glitches and odd jumps, whether taped or live. I wonder if that was true in other markets, like the Twin Cities (Comcast?).
I had the same issues watching down here in Georgia via Xtreme/Mediacom.

I have another question about Big10 Network. I do not have an HD option for this channel. It is pretty much the only sports channel on my cable that does not have an HD option. Is that my provider or is Fox not using HD technology for this channel?

And as painful as it is to watch it, it is not a failure strategy. It takes a muff/bad penalty to destroy the play for the team receiving. I get it. It's not dynamic by any means, and very boring, but I understand it. Not defending one way or the other, but accepting possession outside the 10 yard line is better than a fumble at the 20. I see both sides, but not upset about this way of doing it.
And don't forget that a muffed punt played a large part in the great defeat of Auburn in the Outback Bowl!!

I turned it to the Purdue game and missed Kaliakmanis's throw.

Anybody seen a video of it?

I didn't like that Mo had something like 20(!) carries in a half in his first game of an Achilles injury against an overmatched team.
I didn't like that none of Wright, Spann-Ford, Brown-Stephens, etc made a play that would suggest they are going to be a big time playmaker this year (this probably goes back to point 1 in this section and lack of opportunities).
I will start by saying I know a problem with me is I am an eternal optimist.

The first two plays were passes... then it became clear why throw the ball when they could barely slow the run.

I think part of the 20 carries were to help Mo with the mental part of the injury.

I agree with you on this. I kept saying to my brother in-law I want to just see one big play. Part of it was the way New Mexico St was playing the pass. Obviously everything underneath was wide open. They were playing to not get beat over the top.

I have another question about Big10 Network. I do not have an HD option for this channel. It is pretty much the only sports channel on my cable that does not have an HD option. Is that my provider or is Fox not using HD technology for this channel?
It's HD on Comcast.

Would like to see a few more plays specifically targeting D Wright. Need to take advantage of his athleticism. He also needs to catch the ball.

It's a strategy.

The idea is that over the course of a year you are more likely to have things go bad than go well on a punt return (fumbles, injuries, muffed punt, running into kicker, clipping penalty, fake punt), so that you go into safe mode on the opponents punt - - lightly rush (to keep them honest) and fair catch. If you need too much to catch the punt, just let it bounce (like don't make running fair catches).

There is also the idea that in the college game, the guy who might be your most sure-handed might not be your most dynamic with the ball in their hands.

I'm not saying I agree with it but that's the theory. I'm pretty agnostic to it. For example, we returned 15 punts all of last season. Ohio State returned 20 and Alabama (in two more games) only returned 19.
I get that, but I just can’t get behind giving up opportunities because something bad could happen. It doesn’t matter against NMSU, but it just struck me as a defeatist approach.

Of course, I’ve been a Gopher fan for a long time and am fully aware that PR has been way more bad than good over the years. Thanks for the stats too - I had no idea 🤷‍♂️

Always great to get a shutout. To keep a team from scoring from start to finish is a sign of conviction by this defense, they're going to hold the line. I was also happy to see how well Potts and Mo played. Good one-two punch there.

It's for sure being filmed in HD. A version of the channel in "SD" would have to be purposefully "downgraded" to that lower resolution, after the fact.

Two thoughts:
1) maybe some cable networks (would guess mainly in the south) hate the idea of being forced to carry BTN, and will only carry the downgraded SD version out of spite?
2) or maybe they do have the HD version, but it's way up on some weird channel number (like 9xxx or something)?

Fair thoughts, I do think we ran more than we will against better competitors because they flat out couldn’t stop us.

I’m glad QB2 and QB3 played
I'd like to see QB3, AK8 earlier next Saturday once we are up. The redshirt is gone, get him some game experience with time on the clock.

On the OL, at least through the 3rd quarter it looked like the starters played the whole time with the exception of LG. Looked like Nate Boe got in there for Axel. Not sure if that was due to an injury or just rotating him in to get some film and/or as a rotation?

I thought they were talking about having potentially a three-way rotation at RT?? But looks like Carroll was in there the whole time until they started doing a lot of subbing in the 4th quarter?

I liked that Mo and Trey looked healthy out there.
I liked that a ton of guys got reps.
Small sample size and OL evaluation isn't my strength, but I thought Ersery looked good out there.
I liked that the defense allowed hardly anything all game and Rossi still lost his mind when that NMSU WR got behind everybody when it was like 31-0.

Of course we all wanted to see more passes, but when you are running for 300 yards at will - from a coaching perspective - there is no reason to put stuff on film for future opponents. I'm sure we will see more passes over the next couple games, but at the same time, if they can handily beat Western Carolina and Colorado and do it mostly on the ground, why let Michigan State see more of a playbook than needed?

I'd like to see QB3, AK8 earlier next Saturday once we are up. The redshirt is gone, get him some game experience with time on the clock.
No. It's not.

On the OL, at least through the 3rd quarter it looked like the starters played the whole time with the exception of LG. Looked like Nate Boe got in there for Axel. Not sure if that was due to an injury or just rotating him in to get some film and/or as a rotation?

I thought they were talking about having potentially a three-way rotation at RT?? But looks like Carroll was in there the whole time until they started doing a lot of subbing in the 4th quarter?
Axel left with an injury.

Top Bottom