Poll: Should the Gophers look for a new bball coach?

Should the Gophers find a new men’s basketball coach?

• Yes, no matter the next choice. I’ve lost hope.

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Yes, but this is conditional based on whom we get

Votes: 74 29.1%
  • No, give Pitino another year

Votes: 56 22.0%
  • No, there are one or more reasons we should not change

Votes: 27 10.6%

• Total voters
So some of you guys don't think, if Coyle was planning on moving forward with a new coach, that he would have one 90% locked up, before he fires Pitino?

Are you guys on the pipe?

I voted yes, but depends on who we get. Most of us are disappointed that we don’t get more of the top in state recruits. The question is, which new coach will be able to sign the local kids. I can’t think of one available hire we can count on to do this. Minnesota players are seasoned and savvy. They travel, play and meet top out of state players, talk to many coaches, and have an idea shaped by these experiences of what they want from a collegiate team.

I think:
Pitino is very good at coaching practices and preparing for games.
He is average at recruiting and doesn’t have a system he recruits to.
He is below average for in game coaching when his game plan isn’t working.

So, I okay with another year of Pitino, unless Coyle can find a home run hire.

So some of you guys don't think, if Coyle was planning on moving forward with a new coach, that he would have one 90% locked up, before he fires Pitino?

Are you guys on the pipe?
Locked up? No. A short list of his top targets? Yes. He may have an idea if a few guys are at least interested but I don't think it would be close to a done deal.

I voted yes, but depends on who we get. Most of us are disappointed that we don’t get more of the top in state recruits. The question is, which new coach will be able to sign the local kids. I can’t think of one available hire we can count on to do this. Minnesota players are seasoned and savvy. They travel, play and meet top out of state players, talk to many coaches, and have an idea shaped by these experiences of what they want from a collegiate team.

I think:
Pitino is very good at coaching practices and preparing for games.
He is average at recruiting and doesn’t have a system he recruits to.
He is below average for in game coaching when his game plan isn’t working.

So, I okay with another year of Pitino, unless Coyle can find a home run hire.

I can totally relate to this. I think most of the 27+% that voted "yes...but" are in this category.

I voted no...1 more year

I can totally relate to this. I think most of the 27+% that voted "yes...but" are in this category.

I voted no...1 more year
I’m right here with you. Not completely disappointed with Pitino and understand the bad breaks he’s had, but feel like there are some improvements that are taking too long with his deficiencies.

I’m also afraid this program is becoming a revolving door of coaches every 7 years or so. At some point a promising coach needs to be given a little longer run...on the fence about Pitino, and nervous about starting over again. What are ya gonna do!?

I’m right here with you. Not completely disappointed with Pitino and understand the bad breaks he’s had, but feel like there are some improvements that are taking too long with his deficiencies.

I’m also afraid this program is becoming a revolving door of coaches every 7 years or so. At some point a promising coach needs to be given a little longer run...on the fence about Pitino, and nervous about starting over again. What are ya gonna do!?
Every 7 years is a "revolving door?"

I would say so. I can’t think of many successful programs that change coaches every 7 years.
Can you think of many programs that keep coaches longer than 7 years when they're 20+ games below .500 in conference?

I've heard from folks that know him personally that it's about 99% that Daniel is going to the NBA this summer. I don't think there's any question he's going, and he should. That being the case, I wonder how that impacts people that are still on the fence about Pitino? Regardless of what Daniel does, we need to move on IMHO.

Can you think of many programs that keep coaches longer than 7 years when they're 20+ games below .500 in conference?
I hear you. I think his record has been a bit deflated by circumstance out of his control, but I am also dissatisfied with the current state of the program. I just still see some promise if given another year and am less certain a new coach is the answer right now.

I also think it’s paying off for Penn St right now, sticking with Chambers.

I also think it’s paying off for Penn St right now, sticking with Chambers.

Razor thin differences. PSU has Stevens stay and we have Coffey go. If it's the reverse, Chambers is drowning and Pitino is the one hitting his stride in building a program. It's been said before but Chambers was able to hang in because PSU doesn't really care about basketball. I'm pretty sure we still care about basketball at the U.

It's been said before but Chambers was able to hang in because PSU doesn't really care about basketball. I'm pretty sure we still care about basketball at the U.

I think Chambers also earned some good will because he finally made PSU a destination for Philadelphia area players. I think any Big Ten school cares about basketball but obviously some care about it more than others.

I just still see some promise if given another year and am less certain a new coach is the answer right now.

I don't understand how people still see promise. This isn't a situation where a coach had 3 or 4 bad or mediocre years at the beginning of his tenure but has been good or respectable with some consistency since. This is a coach who has the same pattern: 1) he gets two or three good players but never recruits enough competent players; 2) when the truly good players mature and stay healthy, his teams can do well but they're always just an injured player away from disaster; 3) if two or even one of those truly good players move on, the team is back to being bad or mediocre again.

Yes, just because you're dissatisfied and fire a coach doesn't mean his successor will be better. In fact, we already proved that by firing Tubby and hiring Pitino. But, you still have to try; maybe this change will work out better than the last one.

Penn St. without Stevens is at 13th place in the Big Ten.

that is how important one player(not the coach) is to a program. Injuries matter, no matter what anyone thinks.

I consider the gophers in the NCAA for the past 3 seasons. 3 seasons in a row is a respectable showing and should not be over looked(yes I know the Lynch year was not a tourney team at the end but were on pace to make some noise)

that is how important one player(not the coach) is to a program. Injuries matter, no matter what anyone thinks.

I consider the gophers in the NCAA for the past 3 seasons. 3 seasons in a row is a respectable showing and should not be over looked(yes I know the Lynch year was not a tourney team at the end but were on pace to make some noise)

They would be at least 12th, even without Stevens they would still be better than Nebraska & Northwestern.

It most certainly can be overlooked. Especially since it never happened.

Nice try at what? I am not the one who made up some bogus fictional narrative and tried to pass it off as fact.

Yes, he's imagining an alternate universe Gopher team.

Yes, he's imagining an alternate universe Gopher team.
It is a disease, not touching reality. Tons of programs have terrible breaks with injuries, transfers,close loses, bad characters (that one is a coaches fault ) Lose a ton more to the NBA than Coffey but never make excuses or pretend that it would have turned out better. Comparisons to PSU make me want to puke. That is the standard, one decent year after 10 ! Then to talk about it like they have arrived. To be good one year is not a program in my mind. Damn,win the conference one year, then be top 4 year after year. What the hell kind of standards do we want ? Success has to be demanded not diluted. For the mention about how a practice is run have you been ? Have you been to others so you have a comparison ?

Actually, you weaseled. I looked it up. In the "predictions for the last 7 games" thread you said, and I quote, "6-1 or 5-2."
Yeah, I said I could see us going either one... so what? You're really going to get on my ass for that kind of technicality?

You need to find better ways to spend your time instead of attempting to bust me for "weaseling".

Utah State's final home game this season, they beat San Jose St by a score of 94-56.

Oh whoops, wrong thread. ....... ............

Utah State's final home game this season, they beat San Jose St by a score of 94-56.

Oh whoops, wrong thread. ....... ............
I love Craig Smith too but SJSU might be one might be one of the worst teams in college hoops this year.

I love Craig Smith too but SJSU might be one might be one of the worst teams in college hoops this year.
They're still DI, though, in a mid-major conf, in a high population/high talent state, right?

I mean, you can be the worst team in the the MWC and lose to teams all year by 10-15 pts. But 38 pts??? That counts for something, however trivial.

They're still DI, though, in a mid-major conf, in a high population/high talent state, right?

I mean, you can be the worst team in the the MWC and lose to teams all year by 10-15 pts. But 38 pts??? That counts for something, however trivial.
Best team in NSIC is just as good if not better than worst MWC conference.
I watched most of the game. Utah State looked great. Just won’t use that game as judgement lol. Also Craig Smith gets me excited as well as a fit here, but I was not a Hoiberg or Musselman guy. Would love to see Smith do it one year with his guys to see how he recruits but I understand with our job that may not be an option.

Last edited:

Top Bottom