Poll: Should the Gophers look for a new bball coach?

Should the Gophers find a new men’s basketball coach?

• Yes, no matter the next choice. I’ve lost hope.

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Yes, but this is conditional based on whom we get

Votes: 74 29.1%
  • No, give Pitino another year

Votes: 56 22.0%
  • No, there are one or more reasons we should not change

Votes: 27 10.6%

• Total voters

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
There are multiple threads on this subject and a lot of energy. Its likely this board is a pretty good representation of the opinions of the true Gopher fans - those that attend games, are passionate, and keep the lights on.

The choice can't be "conditional on whom we get." You have to make a clean break and have a clear opening.

We are losing too many local quality players to other programs. This program would look so much different, if we could keep more top-level MN kids. I could list them, but everyone knows who they are. We need a change. GO GOPHERS!

Yup, "depends on who they hire" is not a valid option.

Would help to give students seats in prime areas like many of the schools. Relegated to one end

The choice can't be "conditional on whom we get." You have to make a clean break and have a clear opening.
Wrong. 39% of us voting would like to move on from Pitino IF we replace him with an actual home-run hire. Replacing Pitino is going to cost us Mashburn Jr., Martice Mitchell, and maybe Tryeton Thompson so it better be a great f'ing hire.

I don't think it needs to be a home run hire but they need someone better than Pitino. If they fire him without a good idea that they can get someone better there's a good chance we'll end up in this same situation a few years later and have wasted all that time.

Pitino is bad but if you replace him with someone just as bad that's worse.

I say one more year. We have a young team now with some good recruits coming in. If Oturu stays one more year we could be really good next year.

Wrong. 39% of us voting would like to move on from Pitino IF we replace him with an actual home-run hire.

Yes, I understand that 32% of you (at the moment) are morons. How do you know if you have a home run hire? Are you going to keep looking before you fire the coach? Let it go until July when all the decent spring recruits are spoken for? Nobody does that and no coaching prospect is going to come here for an interview if the coach isn't fired first.

Last edited:

I can't believe that the majority of people who voted in this poll aren't clear about whether Pitino should be fired. These must be the kind of people who freak out when their normal grocery store, restaurant, or bar closes and they realize that they have to find a new one.

Wrong. 39% of us voting would like to move on from Pitino IF we replace him with an actual home-run hire. Replacing Pitino is going to cost us Mashburn Jr., Martice Mitchell, and maybe Tryeton Thompson so it better be a great f'ing hire.
How do you know we automatically lose Mashburn and co.?

I can't believe that the majority of people who voted in this poll aren't clear about whether Pitino should be fired. These must be the kind of people who freak out when their normal grocery store, restaurant, or bar closes and they realize that they have to find a new one.

Maybe it's because they will be labelled as cheering for the team to lose if you want him gone.

Ever thought of that?

It's hilarious, because those who accused me of wanting the gophers to lose are now wanting them to lose themselves. You can't make it up!

Mitchell is a project. Thompson stays in my opinion. Mashburn is certainly replaceable.

Maybe the new coach brings someone of note with him.

My money would be on us keeping 2 of the 3.

Maybe it's because they will be labelled as cheering for the team to lose if you want him gone.

Ever thought of that?

No, I never thought of that. I am from a different culture and I would never have the slightest discomfort of expressing a contrarian opinion on an anonymous message board.

This is just ridiculous. Either you want a new coach, or you want Pitino. You cant know ahead of time how a new coach works out.

No, I never thought of that. I am from a different culture and I would never have the slightest discomfort of expressing a contrarian opinion on an anonymous message board.

Dam, I'm in the same boat myself.

I'm surprised you never came to my defense on Pitino since I was expressing a contrarian opinion. Oh well.

Mashburn’s don’t grow on trees, especially not for our program.
What athletic director was worried over the loss of a recruit or two if he knew he was upgrading the only piece that can lead a program to great success, the coach. Did UVA worry about losing a all ACC player, did UW worry about losing Rashard Griffith. If you can hire a great coach it does not matter what player you lose.

This is just ridiculous. Either you want a new coach, or you want Pitino. You cant know ahead of time how a new coach works out.
As ridiculous as saying “I don’t want a glass of water for lunch, give me a different drink please”, while also asserting that there will be no difference in the outcome for me if my replacement is a glass of battery acid versus Pepsi?

Dam, I'm in the same boat myself.

I'm surprised you never came to my defense on Pitino since I was expressing a contrarian opinion. Oh well.

I'll try to be more observant in the future. I've tried not to complain much about Pitino this year because I complained so much about him during the past two years.

As ridiculous as saying “I don’t want a glass of water for lunch, give me a different drink please”, while also asserting that there will be no difference in the outcome for me if my replacement is a glass of battery acid versus Pepsi?

You don't recruit and interview for a high level job that isn't open. That is considered bad form.

I think it's time

I like pitino, I think he'll get another shot, but it's not working

I'll try to be more observant in the future. I've tried not to complain much about Pitino this year because I complained so much about him during the past two years.

Give me an example of that?

Thanks

The recruiting angle is vastly overplayed, you are essentially only talking about Mashburn Jr who is a borderline top 100 recruit. Mitchell is a project big and Thompson would never play for Pitino if he didn't pull out a miracle in the 2020-21 season to see a year 9. Further, Pitino still will likely have to fill 2-3 scholarships this Spring (or in typical Pitino fashion leave one open) between the current open scholarship, Oturu, Greenlee, possibly Freeman, and any other potential transfer.

Bigger recruiting concern: How Pitino would recruit on the hot seat with the '21 class? We saw how poorly that went just last year when he could not get Hurt/Zeke to even visit, missed on a bunch of other kids, and only got a commitment from Tre Williams in the Fall. That class ended up being Williams/Ihnen/Freeman/Greenlee...that's not going to get it done. We saw how Pitino struggled this year with local recruiting off his extension and his first tournament win, so anybody expressing optimism that he'll suddenly turn that around with a Chet Holmgren or whoever while on the hot seat is really just hoping something out of character would happen.

Anyways all of this is moot, as it's painfully obvious a change needs to be made. It's been 7 years and we've only been ranked in 2 of those years, 1 winning B1G season, local recruiting at a low point in the history of the program, conference winning percentage lowest of any Minnesota coach (Tim Miles got fired at Nebraska with a better winning percentage than Richard Pitino). There's literally nothing to suggest another year is warranted or that things will somehow improve dramatically in that year.

lets hire Ryan Saunders in two years when the T Wolves fire him

We don’t need a home run hire. I’d settle for a walk-and-stolen-base hire.

As ridiculous as saying, "I need a new car, but I'm only buying one if I know it'll get 100000 miles with no repairs."

You cant know.

All you can do is decide if you need to replace your car.

You have to decide whether you want water or not first and then depend on yourself to not pick battery acid.

And it's not like someone else is choosing either battery acid or Pepsi for you, you get to make that choice.

Last edited:

Top Bottom