PMac: Fleck — no hyperbole — is one of the worst in-game Power-5 coaches in the country. He can recruit & market a program. But in-game hes a disaster

Disagree strongly with bottom third in the game. He is maybe bottom half of the big ten.

You should watch more college football. It’ll make you feel better about the gophers
I meant in game bottom third in big ten.

I watch plenty

There are much worst instances of game management out there
Some individual ones of course. Over the course of the past few years I don’t think there are more than 4 other big ten coaches consistently worse. Just my opinion.

Outside of Walley and Nubin our secondary is pretty raw. I thought Rossi would be able to patch it together but it hasn't been working yet. Hopefully they get it figured out.
Yep, we are playing young kids that are clearly not physically ready for high level football, which alarms me about our depth and recruiting

Ridiculous post. As embarrassing and disheartening a loss as this is with plenty of blame on PJ this post by Mackey is idiotic.
No it isn't. I don't listen to sports talk radio and have no idea about PM, but i watch a ton of football at all levels & he's on the money with PJ's gameday coaching. The UNC game was exhibit A in not having a team prepared. The no-huddle offense and our need to run on 4 fresh bodies every play isn't a good match. They had film but they were completely unprepared. It was embarrassing, really.
The Northwestern game was something else altogether. The small-ball, control the clock & grind out a win over an obviously inferior opponent cost us that game. We gave away possessions all over the place, including punting on 4th & short in NW territory more than once. If you want to see the opposite side of the coaching ledger, take a look at Oregon vs Colorado. Lanning had CO down and went for the throat.

I like PJ. He can recruit pretty well & create a great, unique culture, but his gameday coaching is sub par.

If Mackey thinks he is one of the worst he is outing himself as someone who doesn’t watch much college football
Who do you think are worse in college football? As somebody who watches quite a bit of football I would say he's top 5. Dana Dimel has made some boneheaded calls this year. Scott Frost is gone so that takes somebody out of the top five.

The idea PJ can recruit is the statement that has little evidence.
247 presently has us at 10th out of 18 teams in the Big Ten. Come December or better yet the February signing we will be 13th, 14th or 15th in the Big Ten.
Right now we got Northwestern and Michigan St who are gimmes for anyone to be ahead of. Come February, depending who they hire Michigan St could pass us. The others below us will add numbers to be on equal footing in computations and surpass us....leaving us near the bottom once again in Big Ten recruiting.
PJ as a game day coach is exasperating but he wins games at a clip greater than his modern day predecessors. He's undefeated in bowl games as a Gopher coach. If he could recruit we'd be a national power.

I somewhat agree. He consistently coaches without balls by taking his foot off the gas when were up and not going for it on fourth when necessary. His use of timeouts is certainly dumb. Running on the field against Iowa and getting penalized was very frustrating. Of course the bad losses against Bowling Green and Northwestern really stung, some close losses to WI and Iowa during his time too.
But...He beat #3 PSU at home. Best football game I have ever been to. Thank you Coach Fleck.

I may be "accepting mediocrity" by not piling on the head coach via message board but I have lived through some exceptionally shitty Gopher football teams over the years. This ain't that bad. Just beat Iowa and Wisconsin, they suck too!

Mackey and Judd have built their entire brand on throwing out hot takes. they don't follow the Gophers or college sports very closely - so they jump on and off the bandwagon depending on where public opinion is. Last year after the win over Michigan State, they jumped on the bandwagon and started talking up the Gophers that week. then when the Gophs lost to Purdue, they jumped off the bandwagon and started ripping the Gophers.
This is 90% of sport fans are like nowadays. So much sports entertainment out there people just follow the winners and cling on to polarizing takes. These hosts remind me of the old radio shock jocks (Rush, Stern) who just want to create controversy. It sells ads.

There are much worst instances of game management out there
who are the coaches out there that are so much worse than fleck -- pardon if you've already mentioned them

Go Gophers!!
Totally agree. The ultra conservative style is no fun and not very effective. I think he has great fear of losing and so he makes dumb decisions. I don't think you should punt on 4th down if you are inside the 50 and less than 5 yards to go for a lst. It seems every time he does that the othr team's offense is at the spot where we punted from in no time. I wonder what the stats are on fake punts. Oh, and we need a new punt returner. PLEASE!!!!

who are the coaches out there that are so much worse than fleck -- pardon if you've already mentioned them

Dabo mismanaged last week worse than Fleck did.
Not saying dabo is worse.
But how bad fleck does is greatly overblown. He is much like most coaches. Makes mistakes and is far from perfect but generally is fine. He’s probably in the middle.

I disagreed with some major decisions last week but see why he made them. Thought he should have gone for it on 4th and 3. Thought they were caught in bad sub situations against UNC.

The bigger issue than game management from fleck this year has been his teams lack of execution. Not his game management.

I’m not going to list 40 coaches he is better then. You can just feel free to disagree with me.

Who do you think are worse in college football? As somebody who watches quite a bit of football I would say he's top 5. Dana Dimel has made some boneheaded calls this year. Scott Frost is gone so that takes somebody out of the top five.
Top 5 worst 😂 ?

Maybe top 5 worst of the coaches who are at no risk of getting fired

Dabo mismanaged last week worse than Fleck did.
Not saying dabo is worse.
But how bad fleck does is greatly overblown. He is much like most coaches. Makes mistakes and is far from perfect but generally is fine. He’s probably in the middle.

I disagreed with some major decisions last week but see why he made them. Thought he should have gone for it on 4th and 3. Thought they were caught in bad sub situations against UNC.

The bigger issue than game management from fleck this year has been his teams lack of execution. Not his game management.

I’m not going to list 40 coaches he is better then. You can just feel free to disagree with me.
I just assumed that from your confidence that those who think fleck is a terrible in game coach were so wrong you had names at the disposal because you watch enough football. Duly noted that inquiring as to your reasons for your posts is beyond your ability (at least in this case). 👍

I just assumed that from your confidence that those who think fleck is a terrible in game coach were so wrong you had names at the disposal because you watch enough football. Duly noted that inquiring as to your reasons for your posts is beyond your ability (at least in this case). 👍
Lol

You’re right he is the worst in the NATION!!!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom