PMac: Fleck — no hyperbole — is one of the worst in-game Power-5 coaches in the country. He can recruit & market a program. But in-game hes a disaster

The bloom is of the rose, yeah. Most of the issues are execution, but some head scratching lapses and decisions remain. Beyond in game tactical decisions the lack of quality depth at say, running back is alarming for a 70% run program. Ky, Bucky departures. Tyler as the transfer player in hindsight not a home run. PJ’s anxiety or strategy about TOP is arguable but results in a team that has to be very efficient and/or play close to perfect defense like Iowa or Wisconsin in their heydays.

Glen Mason 2.0

Mase has even started to admit during his weekly Barreiro appearance that he wasn't a very smart coach back in the day...

@Pompous Elitist we have played very good defense.

That's the most alarming/dumbfounding thing about these last two losses.

Something doesn't add up.

There could be something crazy going on inside the walls of the football facility, and we'd never know. Tighter than Fort Knox.

I've wonder if something happened last week, that they refused to let be known. Sickness. Food poisoning. Something.

You don't just have a bunch of 19-21 year old kids, in the peak shape of their lives, cramping up in 80 degree weather when the other team didn't have any problems at all.

Fleck would never allow such info to be known. If indeed something happened.

There could be something crazy going on inside the walls of the football facility, and we'd never know. Tighter than Fort Knox.

I've wonder if something happened last week, that they refused to let be known. Sickness. Food poisoning. Something.

You don't just have a bunch of 19-21 year old kids, in the peak shape of their lives, cramping up in 80 degree weather when the other team didn't have any problems at all.

Outside of Walley and Nubin our secondary is pretty raw. I thought Rossi would be able to patch it together but it hasn't been working yet. Hopefully they get it figured out.

While they are getting torched right now on drive by review it mostly seems like lapses and mistakes meaning they should get better. Not hitting on many cylinders right now but we’ve seen this before.

I am a big (or was) fan of Fleck. I love what he has done for this program giving it some stability and respect nationally compared to prior coaches. I also like him as a person and think he is good for the kids as people as well as athletics. But there is absolutely no denying that he is a brutal game day coach and this fact has overtaken the positives that he brings. The caveat to this also being is that he is not learning from his mistakes. That is the most damning IMO. It is time to begin the process of moving on from him. This was one of the worst losses the program has ever had and that is saying something considering the number this team has suffered over the past decades.

If Mackey thinks he is one of the worst he is outing himself as someone who doesn’t watch much college football
Yesterday I lost $100 when Clemson forgot that they had to spike the ball after running a draw play with less than a minute left in the fourth quarter. Ridiculous to get upset about amateurs being amateurs.

Yesterday I lost $100 when Clemson forgot that they had to spike the ball after running a draw play with less than a minute left in the fourth quarter
Yup.
Mackey says no hyperbole when he knows it’s all hyperbole

Or he is an idiot

Or he simply doesn’t watch college football.
I suspect the third.

And this is not me complimenting flecks game management. He is probably close to the middle though.

Last edited:

He’s definitely bottom half big 10 or bottom third in game for sure.

Mackey and Judd have built their entire brand on throwing out hot takes. they don't follow the Gophers or college sports very closely - so they jump on and off the bandwagon depending on where public opinion is. Last year after the win over Michigan State, they jumped on the bandwagon and started talking up the Gophers that week. then when the Gophs lost to Purdue, they jumped off the bandwagon and started ripping the Gophers.

Happens plenty in early season games when it’s pretty hot especially since it was an away game, late afternoon, a time zone ahead. Was cooler in MSP the week before. No need for conspiracy to explain. It happens sometimes.

Mackey is a master of failing upward. He sank KSTP radio in a rebrand to SKOR North and the rates are almost non-existent.
He also hosts a couple podcasts that don't have listeners.

Mackey.....a name that I've heard.....a voice that I couldn't pick out of a sample of three.

Yesterday I lost $100 when Clemson forgot that they had to spike the ball after running a draw play with less than a minute left in the fourth quarter. Ridiculous to get upset about amateurs being amateurs.

The Vikings forgot to spike it today.

Outside of Walley and Nubin our secondary is pretty raw. I thought Rossi would be able to patch it together but it hasn't been working yet. Hopefully they get it figured out.
Walley and Nubin have been close to brutal the past 2 weeks. Hell, Walley bit on that double move before the half and was stuck in mud. I still can't believe it.

Aren't we finishing quite low in recruiting in the Big 10

I've had the misfortune of listening to Phil Mackey, he does not watch college football. His statement might not be hyperbole, but it is based on pure ignorance.

I think PJ has had some terrible moments and for the first time since we hired him I am questioning if he is the right guy for the job. But Phil Mackey doesn't know a thing.

Mackey meant to say Pitino was the worst in-game coach.

Mackey is a master of failing upward. He sank KSTP radio in a rebrand to SKOR North and the rates are almost non-existent.
He also hosts a couple podcasts that don't have listeners.
Down with Phil Mackey! 🙅🏽‍♂️

He’s definitely bottom half big 10 or bottom third in game for sure.
Disagree strongly with bottom third in the game. He is maybe bottom half of the big ten.

You should watch more college football. It’ll make you feel better about the gophers

I love the hot takes from guys who are barely casual followers of the sport. Guy probably can’t name 10 P5 coaches.

Top Bottom