Pitino's Offense

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
How do you even describe this horrible style of offense? Dan Dakich, love him or hate him, he speaks his mind, was blasting our offense all night last night. They don't move the ball around at all. It was pathetic and lazy against a ranked Big 10 opponent. This has been a common theme for the past 4 seasons as I can remember. The 2018 team worked a little better but the NCAA tournament game vs. Middle Tennessee, this was the same issue.

What's going to change moving forward? Hopefully, the Gophers learned from this game and will improve. I am not sure what to think. Seems like Gabe is a big reason as to why the offense is suffering right now. He simply cannot shoot the ball anymore consistently. Carr has to throw up wild shots. We take ill advised three's with no one crashing the boards.

I hope things on offense get better or this is going to be a longggg season! The BIG is no joke this year!

How do you even describe this horrible style of offense? Dan Dakich, love him or hate him, he speaks his mind, was blasting our offense all night last night. They don't move the ball around at all. It was pathetic and lazy against a ranked Big 10 opponent. This has been a common theme for the past 4 seasons as I can remember. The 2018 team worked a little better but the NCAA tournament game vs. Middle Tennessee, this was the same issue.

What's going to change moving forward? Hopefully, the Gophers learned from this game and will improve. I am not sure what to think. Seems like Gabe is a big reason as to why the offense is suffering right now. He simply cannot shoot the ball anymore consistently. Carr has to throw up wild shots. We take ill advised three's with no one crashing the boards.

I hope things on offense get better or this is going to be a longggg season! The BIG is no joke this year!
Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, shoot.

The last 13 or so minutes of the first half our offense went completely garbage...like unheard of bad...so what kind of adjustments are made at halftime? NONE.

I've ripped on one thing about Pitino since he started and that has been that the guy has no idea how to change things up. If something isn't working he just keeps trying it thinking it will change. That is how you lose by 30.

The frustrating thing is I think they have a very capable team offensively. I think Carr can both shoot and beat his man, Gabe has shown he can do both (I know I know on the shooting), Gach, same, Robbins, has hit a handful of 3's this year and can score down low.

Offense should be these guys' strength even though they aren't a lights out 3 point shooting team.

Problem is without an actual offense it's hard to play to your strengths.

Your first paragraph makes sense, but I can't see how Gabe is a big reason for Carr throwing up wild shots. Gabe had 3 assists and rarely has the ball in his hands. Carr had 4 assists and dribbled the air out of the ball. Dakich pointed out the lack of ball movement and on the ver next possession, Carr dribbled the whole possession.

Gabe and Carr had 70% of the assists last night. Teams with better shooting percentages have much higher assist percentages. Iowa and MSU lead the big ten is assists per game (23 and 24 per game). The assist get better by passing the ball FIRST ... not just by making a shot.

Lets say Gabe hit 75% of his 3s last night. The would have added 6 points and 2 assists.

The offensive problems are not a specific player. It's a style of play that doesn't focus on ball movement to create high percentage shots.

The frustrating thing is I think they have a very capable team offensively. I think Carr can both shoot and beat his man, Gabe has shown he can do both (I know I know on the shooting), Gach, same, Robbins, has hit a handful of 3's this year and can score down low.

Offense should be these guys' strength even though they aren't a lights out 3 point shooting team.

Problem is without an actual offense it's hard to play to your strengths.
People rave about Gach. Has anyone looked at his actual efficiencies on both sides ?

The offense didn't give up 92 points. A lot of teams have won games scoring 62 points.

They need to just start running the flex until they can figure out how to move the ball by themselves. It's embarrassing. No movement, no passing, no picks set.

The offensive ratings have been far ahead of his defensive ratings.
Yes, but I don't count jack S when it comes against cupcakes.

This team with the way they play offense will have a terrible time scoring against Big Ten defenses.

There was a well known, very successful high school coach in central Minnesota for a long time. He ran the same offense. Every year. For 40+ years. He taught it to the youth basketball players. So from 3rd-12th grade, they ran the same offense. Every year. For 40+ years. He had some special players in those years. Bunch of pro athletes, D1 hoopers, D2 kids, tons of D3 kids. In their Best years they were nearly unbeatable. In the down years they were very tough to beat. Think of playing Army or Navy in football.
If you studied the film, they had wrinkles. But they were seamless, because the wrinkles existed forever. A random backdoor cut wasn’t random. A reversal wasn’t random. They seemed it but weren’t.
My point is, with the right offense, anyone can be successful. Bad years won’t ever be bad. Good years will be really good.
Pitino? He has no system

There was a well known, very successful high school coach in central Minnesota for a long time. He ran the same offense. Every year. For 40+ years. He taught it to the youth basketball players. So from 3rd-12th grade, they ran the same offense. Every year. For 40+ years. He had some special players in those years. Bunch of pro athletes, D1 hoopers, D2 kids, tons of D3 kids. In their Best years they were nearly unbeatable. In the down years they were very tough to beat. Think of playing Army or Navy in football.
If you studied the film, they had wrinkles. But they were seamless, because the wrinkles existed forever. A random backdoor cut wasn’t random. A reversal wasn’t random. They seemed it but weren’t.
My point is, with the right offense, anyone can be successful. Bad years won’t ever be bad. Good years will be really good.
Pitino? He has no system
Winina Cotter? I hate Winona Cotter.

We used to run an offense called the wheel. Works against man to man, works against the zone. Everybody moves. If you run it enough, everyone ends up at the point at some point. You can't stop it. Eventually someone gets open.

Gophers just stand there like its their right to shoot bricks.

Winina Cotter? I hate Winona Cotter.

We used to run an offense called the wheel. Works against man to man, works against the zone. Everybody moves. If you run it enough, everyone ends up at the point at some point. You can't stop it. Eventually someone gets open.

Gophers just stand there like its their right to shoot bricks.

ROCORI, but I think this is a common story in out-state MN hoops.

I understand the shot clock matters. If you get to 5 seconds, you can't reset and run around for 20 seconds, but in those first 20ish seconds, all the guys are allowed to move, simultaneously even!

I understand the shot clock matters. If you get to 5 seconds, you can't reset and run around for 20 seconds, but in those first 20ish seconds, all the guys are allowed to move, simultaneously even!
When I played high school ball there was no shot clock and the 3pt shot was put in the year after I graduated.

When I played high school ball there was no shot clock and the 3pt shot was put in the year after I graduated.

You're aging yourself Otis!

There still isn't a shot clock in MN high school hoops, that I know of. I shot a lot of 3s in high school. Would have shot 4s but there weren't any.

You're aging yourself Otis!

There still isn't a shot clock in MN high school hoops, that I know of. I shot a lot of 3s in high school. Would have shot 4s but there weren't any.
Went back and scrimmaged the HS team with my buds Freshman year of college with the 3 pt line and we destroyed them! That line seemed way too short! Would of loved to have had that.

Went back and scrimmaged the HS team with my buds Freshman year of college with the 3 pt line and we destroyed them! That line seemed way too short! Would of loved to have had that.

It is short. And there aren't large humans in your way, as often. I either went hard to the rim or settled for 3s. Would be great in Pitino's offense ;)

It is short. And there aren't large humans in your way, as often. I either went hard to the rim or settled for 3s. Would be great in Pitino's offense ;)
Lol

You must be great at deflating balls by over-dribbling then.

I knew right away which school you were talking about.

I knew right away which school you were talking about.

Ha. Figured I wasn't the only Central Lakes Conference fan on the board.

Didn't help my cause that I had to guard and be guarded by Eric Decker.

I don't think of Cold Spring ROCORI as a Central Minnesota team I guess. But geographically speaking, they are.

Where did you go to school? I played in the Red Rock Conference at a school which no longer exists.

You're right around my age then. Chances are if we ever guarded each other it was one sided...basketball didn't work out for my fat ass.

You're right around my age then. Chances are if we ever guarded each other it was one sided...basketball didn't work out for my fat ass.

Ha! I peaked in 9th grade. Was on the Nate Wolters path until then ;)

St. Cloud Tech. Glory days!
Big school. I had the privilege of playing for the smallest school enrollment in State Basketball Tournament History. 84 students in the top 4 grades. Sanborn High School, final game played in the consolation round of the tourney.

Top Bottom