Pitino turned FIU around in a year how long to turn the Gopher ship around

But the ship doesn't need to be turned around. We won a game in the tournament this year. It's a completely different circumstance.

Except for Tubby left the cupboard bare at PF, backup PF and backup C

Except for Tubby left the cupboard bare at PF, backup PF and backup C

This might be true, but Eliason was our only true C. And he improved a lot over the last year, IMO. I think PF is going to be a big concern.

This might be true, but Eliason was our only true C. And he improved a lot over the last year, IMO. I think PF is going to be a big concern.

Hopefully Buggs sticks around, I think he could wreak havoc in Pitino's system.

Tubby average 8 big ten wins a year.... Turn around requires major improvement lets say an average of 11 big ten s wins a year.. Pitino will have his hands full getting 8 next year.... Turn around is really a joke, there is nothing to turn around...only room for improvement

Nothing to turn around except for the lack of a true PG, a PF, a back-up PF and a back-up C!!! I'll say it again, you are not a fan of the program but rather a Tubby groupie

Mark it down...I predict a final four 3 years. Pitino gets Reid and finds 3 others that are equally as good and 2014 is our top rated recruiting class in the history of U basketball...NCAA tourny next year, then 16 and final four in March 2016!

Talk is dirt cheap...might as well predict NCAA title next year . Heck go to Vegas this fall put a huge NCAA future bet down on the gophs and download the ticket so we can all see how much faith you have in your predictions ...I think Dutcher nailed a top 1 or 2 national recruiting class.

Why did the Gophers get in ahead of Iowa then?

You are using the team with the 300+ ranked nonconf SOS as your argument?

How come going undefeated in the non conf doesn't get you an automatic bid in the NCAA tournament?

Talk is dirt cheap...might as well predict NCAA title next year . Heck go to Vegas this fall put a huge NCAA future bet down on the gophs and download the ticket so we can all see how much faith you have in your predictions ...I think Dutcher nailed a top 1 or 2 national recruiting class.

I believe the proper term is "upload" in that context. We now know that THE SCOUT! was before the generation of the internet or some might say he is a baby boomer.

Nothing to turn around except for the lack of a true PG, a PF, a back-up PF and a back-up C!!! I'll say it again, you are not a fan of the program but rather a Tubby groupie

You don't turn around a team that won an NCAA game.

True gopher fan knows that the Tubby program as solid ... not the best nor that bad. Nothing to turn around only room to improve

I haven't read any posts but didn't this club win a tourney game? This isn't exactly a big rebuild job. Right?

You are using the team with the 300+ ranked nonconf SOS as your argument?

How come going undefeated in the non conf doesn't get you an automatic bid in the NCAA tournament?

Want to find me a team that went undefeated in the non conference and didn't get in the tournament? I'll be waiting otherwise big wins are big wins and it doesn't matter if it was in conference or not.

Exactly right. Great place to land for a kid that will be able to combine some nice talent with a fresh dose of excitement and optimism. I'm thinking about booking Maui to keep my eye on it. :)

I'll be greeting Coach Pitino in Maui :)

First season at FIU was a tremendous turnaround. How long to turn the much bigger Gopher ship around ? 1 year ?, 2-3 years ? 3-5? I'm betting on 2-3.

It was FIU he turned around....this is the Big Ten. Don't get too excited about that one year turnaround!

I just hope most people realize what kind of shape the Gophers program is in right now from a talent standpoint. I hate football-basketball comparisons, but a lot of people were totally unrealistic about what type of shape the Gopher football program was in when Brewster took over...it was in very bad shape. In some ways this is similar in that the Gophers had just finished a losing Big Ten football season with a long time starter at QB who graduated and several other top starters who graduated (or left under other circumstances). Now we have a guy taking over a team that had a losing Big Ten basketball season that loses its dominant rebounder, another starter, and its top recruit. The Gophers were going to be picked 9th or worse next season BEFORE Alvin Ellis de-committed. It's possible (not likely) that Pitino will have 10 scholarship guys next year and 3 of them are complete question marks in Wally/Charles/Alex and 3 more are of questionable talent at best in Mav/Oto/Mo.

True gopher fan knows that the Tubby program as solid ... not the best nor that bad. Nothing to turn around only room to improve

Your dad left the cupboard bare in the frontcourt!! Not exactly a turn-around, but not exactly "solid" in the frontcourt

The program doesn't need to be turned around, since it is still heading in the right direction. A tad off course, with regards to a solid PG, SF and C. Nothing that a really good recruiter and good coach Rich with a solid offensive scheme can't correct. It will be 2 years minimum before we see another winning BIG record.

Interesting to see what people thought back when Richard was hired.

I just read the first page but I thought that almost all of comments were right on. For the most part, they just dealt with how the team was situated for the next season. Comments indicated that the team needed a power forward and a backup center. The center situation was taken care of pretty well between Mo and Elliot (who played well in Pitino's first year). Pitino attempted to cure the power forward situation with Rakeem Buckles but the NCAA wouldn't allow him to play immediately (even though they did for Malik Smith - who I don't think was a grad transfer). Had Buckles been eligible, I think it's very likely that the Gophers would have made the tournament that year. Joey King was a fair player and a fine shooter but he certainly was no power forward.

How quickly the excuses started! ;)

Nah, just saying that if we had caught a break that year (like we did with our current transfers) a pretty decent season could have turned into an even better one. That still would have resulted in Pitino having 5 disappointing (or terrible in some cases) years out of 8.

I just read the first page but I thought that almost all of comments were right on. For the most part, they just dealt with how the team was situated for the next season. Comments indicated that the team needed a power forward and a backup center. The center situation was taken care of pretty well between Mo and Elliot (who played well in Pitino's first year). Pitino attempted to cure the power forward situation with Rakeem Buckles but the NCAA wouldn't allow him to play immediately (even though they did for Malik Smith - who I don't think was a grad transfer). Had Buckles been eligible, I think it's very likely that the Gophers would have made the tournament that year. Joey King was a fair player and a fine shooter but he certainly was no power forward.
They would have made the tournament if Mo Walker didn't miss a point blank put back at the buzzer against Northwestern. They also would have won that game if Dre Hollins had played, but he was injured to by our dirty red friends.

Nah, just saying that if we had caught a break that year (like we did with our current transfers) a pretty decent season could have turned into an even better one. That still would have resulted in Pitino having 5 disappointing (or terrible in some cases) years out of 8.
But we won the NIT and set the university record for legal wins in a season!

Top Bottom