Pitino turned FIU around in a year how long to turn the Gopher ship around

phipho

Reaction score
First season at FIU was a tremendous turnaround. How long to turn the much bigger Gopher ship around ? 1 year ?, 2-3 years ? 3-5? I'm betting on 2-3.

But the ship doesn't need to be turned around. We won a game in the tournament this year. It's a completely different circumstance.

Turn it around? Other than the B1G schedule we did pretty well. He has substantially more coming back here than he had at FIU when he took over. One thing Tubby didn't do, was wreck the program...he just failed to coach in the end.

He's not inheriting an empty cupboard. There are some nice pieces here, including a budding superstar. Gophers won't be "Big 10 title good", but there's enough talent in place to provide belief they can finish toward the middle (tail end of top half) of the league. Won't be easy, but doable.

I'm with Selection. Sounds like there are some potential big men coming with Pitino. Gonna have to play the wait and see game to see who stays in MN

He's not inheriting an empty cupboard. There are some nice pieces here, including a budding superstar. Gophers won't be "Big 10 title good", but there's enough talent in place to provide belief they can finish toward the middle (tail end of top half) of the league. Won't be easy, but doable.

Exactly right. Great place to land for a kid that will be able to combine some nice talent with a fresh dose of excitement and optimism. I'm thinking about booking Maui to keep my eye on it. :)

Next year's squad, absent the front-court that netted so many offensive rebounds, probably has roughly NIT-level talent. If he's able to get them to the Dance, we'll know right away this was the right hire.

Next year's squad, absent the front-court that netted so many offensive rebounds, probably has roughly NIT-level talent. If he's able to get them to the Dance, we'll know right away this was the right hire.

I'd agree with that. Not knowing exactly who's leaving early for the NBA and who's staying from the Big 10, I'd put the Gophers in the 6-9 range. Certainly at this point I'd project Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin ahead of the Gophers. Michigan, too, if Burke (no way) and/or Hardaway (he might) return.

Certainly not unfamiliar territory for this program.

It's not like we need turning around... we are definitely an NIT team right now. If we can get good forward play, we're a bubble team!

But the ship doesn't need to be turned around. We won a game in the tournament this year. It's a completely different circumstance.

Haven't finished above 6th in the past six years. It isn't a disaster but I think folks who don't think this program needs a lot of work are fooling themselves. I guess my question is how long till they can be in the top third of the league on a regular basis.

FIU : Sun Belt :: Penn State : B1G when he took over. He took a team comprised of more than half walk ons and darn near won his league with it. He will be inheriting vast riches here in comparison.

Pretty short leash if he only has one year to show he's the right guy for the U!

Go Gophers!

Pretty short leash if he only has one year to show he's the right guy for the U!

Go Gophers!

Oh, don't misread me. If he doesn't take next year's team to the tourney, that doesn't mean he's not the right guy. But if he does, that means he is. You follow?

I'll be as interested in how it looks as how often we win. I want to see players having fun, playing confident and hard and getting better throughout the year. By the end of next year I am hoping to be able to say- "look out, we are going to be good..."

A .500 conference record and his last name will get us into the NCAA tourney next year.

Oh, don't misread me. If he doesn't take next year's team to the tourney, that doesn't mean he's not the right guy. But if he does, that means he is. You follow?

I gotcha... "Expectations = Resentments under Construction."

Go Gophers!

Haven't finished above 6th in the past six years. It isn't a disaster but I think folks who don't think this program needs a lot of work are fooling themselves. I guess my question is how long till they can be in the top third of the league on a regular basis.

Tell me how good Maryland will be. Tell me that MSU, Indiana and OSU are not going to be in the top 4 in the conference. Tell me how wisky usually does...especially on their home court.

How long can you count on Illinois not being in the top 4...Michigan and Purdue can be tough places to play.

I'd say this 2013/2014 season in the conference we will battle with Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska, iowa and Purdue for something like 7th at best and more likely 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th (usually the bottom of the conference ends up in a scrum with about a 3 way tie for 8,9 and10.

So, the Goph's had better feast on the cupcakes before New Year.

No disrespect to anyone...just trying to be honest in assessing a typical B1G conference race from the past 10 to 15 years.

Ironically, the last time I recall the Gophers playing Louisville, the Gophers literally stole one from the Cardinals...who were supposed to have had a pretty loaded team. The Gopher press just destroyed Louisville in the 2nd half...las 8 minutes of that game...I always thought that was one of Tubby's better wins...and it was really nice coming against one of the pitino phenoms

; 0 )

Based on what I've read, he's going to have a one-day plan (getting better one day at a time).

Considering the talent we lost, I'll be happy as a clam with anything more than 6 conference wins.

"Ironically, the last time I recall the Gophers playing Louisville, the Gophers literally stole one from the Cardinals...who were supposed to have had a pretty loaded team. The Gopher press just destroyed Louisville in the 2nd half...las 8 minutes of that game...I always thought that was one of Tubby's better wins...and it was really nice coming against one of the pitino phenoms"

spot on! That was a great one. Tubby did give us some really nice memories over these 6 years. At least we are at the place now where to beat a Top10 team is not unthinkable. I'd like to see it with some regularity now (more than once a season too much to ask?). That would be taking it to another level. We'll see if the young fella has the coaching creativity to topple the big boys in the conference!

Go Gophers!

turn it around from 20 plus wins a year to 30 wins a year....never

+1

Mark it down...I predict a final four 3 years. Pitino gets Reid and finds 3 others that are equally as good and 2014 is our top rated recruiting class in the history of U basketball...NCAA tourny next year, then 16 and final four in March 2016!

Tubby average 8 big ten wins a year.... Turn around requires major improvement lets say an average of 11 big ten s wins a year.. Pitino will have his hands full getting 8 next year.... Turn around is really a joke, there is nothing to turn around...only room for improvement

The ship is moving in the right direction. Remember, we were an NIT team last year and this year we won an NCAA game AND before Tubby, we were nothing. The ship just needs to start moving again and maybe a little faster. Destination? Where we feel the way we did this year, up until we lost to Indiana, every year, in contention for the B1G title.

Mark my words no final 4 in 3 years

THE SCOUT!'S other predictions include the following:

"Mark my words, at least one of the following men WILL make the cut at The Masters next weekend: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, Rory McIlroy, Ian Poulter, Luke Donald, Bubba Watson, Louis Oosthuizen, Adam Scott, or Rickie Fowler."

Next year we will have more talent than Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers. I would say us, Maryland, Iowa and Purdue will be in the same boat, along with Illinois for that 6-10 range. If Michigan loses both Burke and Hardaway I would drop them into that group as well. I think Sparty, IU and Ohio State will contend for that title, Wisconsin will finish fourth. That's as of now will see who loses guys and how the conference schedule shakes out.

Top Bottom