Pitino Relieved of Duties

I’ll be looking forward to a 10 win improvement next year and give a solid C+ for a “mildly successful” 24 win 2021-22 season from our next coach then.
It would be better for the new coach to make small incremental steps...winning 2 or 3 games more each year so by year 5 his resume will ensure that he stays with the U for 5 years. Win big the 1st year and expectations are set so high that if he can't improve each year after he will be run out of town.

Either way we can probably close the book on Pitino, but the good news for you is if one year of a couple games over .500 and 2nd place in the Sun Belt impresses you that much, there are ALOT of candidates that should blow you away this time around.
At a school that was sub .500 for 12 straight seasons before he got there (and for 5 more seasons after he left), I think that’s somewhat impressive.

Isn’t the hype for Dennis Gates based on the fact that he has one season over .500 after 5 straight seasons of Cleveland State being under .500?

At a school that was sub .500 for 12 straight seasons before he got there (and for 5 more seasons after he left), I think that’s somewhat impressive.

Isn’t the hype for Dennis Gates based on the fact that he has one season over .500 after 5 straight seasons of Cleveland State being under .500?
Well, Gates has more HC and NCAA experience. Not much more but more.

Well, Gates has more HC and NCAA experience. Not much more but more.
Gates is 41, Pitino is 38 today. He was 31 when he was hired, with one year of HC experience and 7 years as an assistant (College of Charleston, Northeastern, Louisville, Florida, and Duquesne).

Gates has 2 years of HC experience, 4 years of collegiate playing experience at Cal (relevant IMO), and 15 years of assistant (Florida State, Cal, Northern Illinois, Nevada) or grad assistant work (Florida State, Marquette).

They have similar HC experience at the time of their hire/search, but Gates has way more assistant and playing experience.

Last edited:

Gates is 41, Pitino is 38 today. He was 31 when he was hired, with one year of HC experience and 7 years as an assistant (College of Charleston, Northeastern, Louisville, Florida, and Duquesne).

Gates has 2 years of HC experience, 4 years of collegiate playing experience (relevant IMO), and 15 years of assistant or grad assistant work.

They have similar HC experience at the time of their hire/search, but Gates has way more assistant and playing experience.
Fair, but if he gets fired from here several years from now, he’s going to get repeatedly clubbed on here for “2 years of head coaching experience” as the reason that we all should have known it was a bad hire from the start.

If your argument is that Gates lack of sustained head coaching success is a red flag because it is also a characteristic that he shared with our last hire Pitino, that is a legitimate argument.

But strangely, you seem to be arguing that if Gates is the preferred choice, than Pitino should be retained as head coach. The problem is that ignores the much more important distinction between the two. Pitino's March 15th, 2021 resume has 8 years of losing basketball on it, Gates's does not.

I'd be happy with Gates. The hype on him really centers around the fact that he is a black coach, if we are all honest about it. He seems to have a great rapport and is inspirational. Other than that, there is zero information that informs us that he can or will get it done at the Big Ten level. Again- I like him, but at the moment he is a check the box hire and I think a fairly likely hire because the U is under great pressure to hire a minority.

Fair, but if he gets fired from here several years from now, he’s going to get repeatedly clubbed on here for “2 years of head coaching experience” as the reason that we all should have known it was a bad hire from the start.
C'mon man. You're revealing all my little secrets that I have stashed just in case.

It is definitely his weak point right now. Dutcher is my preference today but I am very intrigued by Gates. If he is the hire I am glad he has had such extensive assistant experience, though, in addition to a couple years establishing his program at Cleveland State.

If your argument is that Gates lack of sustained head coaching success is a red flag because it is also a characteristic that he shared with our last hire Pitino, that is a legitimate argument.

But strangely, you seem to be arguing that if Gates is the preferred choice, than Pitino should be retained as head coach. The problem is that ignores the much more important distinction between the two. Pitino's March 15th, 2021 resume has 8 years of losing basketball on it, Gates's does not.
I’m not arguing for Pitino to be retained, I’m mostly arguing against the idea that his one season at FIU was largely unremarkable. It was the best season that school had in about a 20 year span from the late 90’s until like 2 years ago.
I’m fine with getting rid of Pitino and I’d be fine with hiring Gates.

Ryan Burns per another source

"Expected to part ways" and actually parting ways are 2 very different things. And the U has been silent all day on the matter. Leads me to believe they're waiting for Pitino to get the New Mexico or another gig and avoid the contract buyout before they announce anything.

And the names being mentioned as candidates to be the next coach are in the NCAA Tournament, so we likely won't hear any news on that front until those teams are done.

I guess you're assuming that he really wants to go back to Iowa AND also that he has formed no relationships or loyalties with any of the players on the team this season.
Will there be anyone left from this year's team? I doubt a potential NBA player would worry about hanging with a few ex teammates.

Mind you... I am only assuming he leaves because his uncle was the reason he came.

Will there be anyone left from this year's team? I doubt a potential NBA player would worry about hanging with a few ex teammates.

Mind you... I am only assuming he leaves because his uncle was the reason he came.

You literally think we are gonna lose 13 players? We have had coaching changes before and that's generally not how it's gone down. We might lose 2-3 guys (other than Carr and Curry).

I'd be happy with Gates. The hype on him really centers around the fact that he is a black coach, if we are all honest about it. He seems to have a great rapport and is inspirational. Other than that, there is zero information that informs us that he can or will get it done at the Big Ten level. Again- I like him, but at the moment he is a check the box hire and I think a fairly likely hire because the U is under great pressure to hire a minority.
Not true. His head coaching history is short and successful, but his past assistant experience is solid at successful high major Florida State. None of that has anything to do with the color of his skin. I do believe you are correct that there is strong pressure to hire a minority candidate, but calling Gates a "check the box candidate" because of that does a disservice to him and Coyle and anyone else he might consult.

The critique about evidence about getting it done at Big Ten can be levied on every single candidate who has been mentioned on this board. I personally favor Gates' FSU recruiting experience and connections over Smith's Nebraska recruiting history. Clearly Smith has more head coaching experience, but Mountain West success doesn't automatically translate into Big Ten success. The closest one to fill that bill would be Musselman and we all know that's virtually impossible.

Not true. His head coaching history is short and successful, but his past assistant experience is solid at successful high major Florida State. None of that has anything to do with the color of his skin. I do believe you are correct that there is strong pressure to hire a minority candidate, but calling Gates a "check the box candidate" because of that does a disservice to him and Coyle and anyone else he might consult.

The critique about evidence about getting it done at Big Ten can be levied on every single candidate who has been mentioned on this board. I personally favor Gates' FSU recruiting experience and connections over Smith's Nebraska recruiting history. Clearly Smith has more head coaching experience, but Mountain West success doesn't automatically translate into Big Ten success. The closest one to fill that bill would be Musselman and we all know that's virtually impossible.
Unfortunately, if he gets the job, the Star Tribune did him a disservice making a big deal about the diversity issue right at this time. It will be perceived that way because of it. It's not fair to him, he'd be a legit candidate in any case. It's a short-term issue. If he wins, it doesn't matter. Still wish they hadn't done that.

You literally think we are gonna lose 13 players? We have had coaching changes before and that's generally not how it's gone down. We might lose 2-3 guys (other than Carr and Curry).
Not 13 players, but it's reasonable to think there could be a 50% turnover of the current roster.

Not 13 players, but it's reasonable to think there could be a 50% turnover of the current roster.

It's probably much less likely that guys who are either gonna be starters or get heavy minutes are going to leave (again other than Carr).

I just don't think I see Liam, Mash, Gabe or Tre leaving.

I think with Johnson already having graduated, he has more flexibility than Liam. But I think there is a good chance Johnson will stay. Like Liam, he can also be a featured player on a Big Ten team next year.
Why did they say that Johnson participated in senior night? Would seem to indicate he is done here?

Top Bottom