pirsig visits 5 bt schools

Go4

Reaction score
michigan site has a pirsig story that says he recently visited iowa, michigan state, ohio state, wisconsin and michigan last week. "The three new schools really surprised me with how nice their facilities were and how great of guys the coaches were," Pirsig said. "[The trip] was definitely helpful because I would have always had regrets if I would have committed to a school before this. Now I definitely won't have any regrets once I make my decision." "I just think that right now all the schools are equal," Pirsig said. "In my mind they are all great schools and the coaches are great, but it will take a trip to the game to confirm my thoughts on them."

He's gone.

Edit: Before anyone jumps on me, there's still a chance he comes here. But IMO he's gone.

This sounds like a kid from a small town with stars in his eyes......maybe he should take a closer look and he would see they are not all equal.

I think he's more likely to pick from Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin than Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan Lite.

If it comes down to the college atmosphere I agree with Gopher07. I just don't want to see him in a better dead than red uniform.

Some kids just eat up all of the attention, and some see through it. We'll see how he does. Too bad the coaching staff did nothave a chance to build a realtionship ealty, but it is what it is.
Talent is great, I hope we get him, but Wisky has shown it does not require all 4&5 stars to build a good o-line.

Wisky has shown it does not require all 4&5 stars to build a good o-line.

There is a spreading misconception that Wisconsin somehow takes mediocre OL talent and forms it into a machine.

2010 OL:

Gabe Carimi - 5.7 3-star
John Moffitt - 5.5 3-star, offers from BC, MSU, Rutgers
Peter Konz - 5.8 4-star, offers from Illinois, Iowa, Minn
Bill Nagy - 5.5 3-star, offers from BC, Illinois, Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, Vandy
Kevin Zeitler - 5.6 3-star, offers from Michigan, Minn, Purdue
Josh Oglesby - 6.1 5-star, #1 OT in the nation, offers too numerous to mention

This isn't directed at you, corcoran, it just bugs me when people pretend that Wisconsin's coaches (in football and basketball) take a bunch of slugs and win Big Ten titles. The reality is far different.

I think that comes from the fact that even though they are not lowly recruited slugs, they are not the highly recruited linemen that you see at Ohio State, Michigan, the SEC, etc. but they outperform those highly recruited OL units.

Similar OL recruits go to Iowa and they get similar, but not quite as good, results.

Pirsig...

michigan site has a pirsig story that says he recently visited iowa, michigan state, ohio state, wisconsin and michigan last week. "The three new schools really surprised me with how nice their facilities were and how great of guys the coaches were," Pirsig said. "[The trip] was definitely helpful because I would have always had regrets if I would have committed to a school before this. Now I definitely won't have any regrets once I make my decision." "I just think that right now all the schools are equal," Pirsig said. "In my mind they are all great schools and the coaches are great, but it will take a trip to the game to confirm my thoughts on them."

seems to thrive on all the press and SH-like fan attention.

Where will he get that type of continuous adulation for four years in spades?

Minny

At the other "equal" venues he'll be another good out-of-state prospect for signing day, but probably not a major difference maker and impact player he would be with the Gophers.

In the end, if this kid doesn't want to play BT West football for his home state, Kill will wish him luck, move on to those that do and sensibly not lose any sleep over this one.

with the olson brothers knocking people on their azz

campion doing the same

ragoo knocking people into next week

Lenkiewicz hurting people

pirsig ain't seeing the field anyway :)

He does seem to have that small towner star gaze right now. I feel like the OSU's or Michigan's would be able to hypnotize young Pirsig rather easy, hopefully that's not the case.

with the olson brothers knocking people on their azz

campion doing the same

ragoo knocking people into next week

Lenkiewicz hurting people

pirsig ain't seeing the field anyway :)

considering Keanon cooper annihilated ragoo yesterday I wouldn't be so sure about that. soft

seems to thrive on all the press and SH-like fan attention.

Where will he get that type of continuous adulation for four years in spades?

Minny

At the other "equal" venues he'll be another good out-of-state prospect for signing day, but probably not a major difference maker and impact player he would be with the Gophers.

In the end, if this kid doesn't want to play BT West football for his home state, Kill will wish him luck, move on to those that do and sensibly not lose any sleep over this one.

I agree...I don't think Coach Kill is going to chase him the way Brew chased SH. In fairness, I do not blame Brew for going after SH the way he did. In a sense, in regards to recruiting anyway, he was the anti-Mason. He had to go against years of apathy concerning top recruits. What Kill has is a proven track record and I believe some depth at OL. He does not have to mortgage the farm to try and convince a top recruit with stars in their eyes and wonder in their hearts to stay home.

How exactly do you mortgage the farm in college football recruiting?

How exactly do you mortgage the farm in college football recruiting?

in a dignity sense. He went overboard in trying to get him to stay. Plus, if I remember correctly he did commit a few infractions to the recruiting rules (albeit minor) in regard to his recruitment of SH.

Like I said, I don't blame him. He was doing everything he could to change the fortunes of Gopher recruiting and he was going for broke.

Pirsig

Its disappointing to see Pirsig looking at these other B 10 schools. I just don't like the idea of a home grown Minnesota kid coming back into TCF and playing against his home state. How many good athletes have we gotten from Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.? Not all that many.

Also, I wonder if he's related to the late Maynard Pirsig, a long time professor and also dean of the U of MN Law School. Pirsig is not all that ordinary a name.

You can't blame Pirsig. There are some kids who just want to go to different situations than the U. I am sure if we all were Michigan or Ohio St. fans we'd be wondering outloud why this kid would even consider the U.

I really hope we land this kid but sometimes you need to crawl before you can walk.

From what I've read about Pirsig, I don't think he's thriving from the press attention. I think he's trying to make a well informed decision regarding his future. It's cheaper to hit as many schools on one trip if possible which is why he's visiting all these schools right now and MN isn't on the itinerary because it's a little out of the way this time (5 hours round trip) but he's been to campus plenty and will continue to visit until he makes a decision.

There is a spreading misconception that Wisconsin somehow takes mediocre OL talent and forms it into a machine.

2010 OL:

Gabe Carimi - 5.7 3-star
John Moffitt - 5.5 3-star, offers from BC, MSU, Rutgers
Peter Konz - 5.8 4-star, offers from Illinois, Iowa, Minn
Bill Nagy - 5.5 3-star, offers from BC, Illinois, Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, Vandy
Kevin Zeitler - 5.6 3-star, offers from Michigan, Minn, Purdue
Josh Oglesby - 6.1 5-star, #1 OT in the nation, offers too numerous to mention

This isn't directed at you, corcoran, it just bugs me when people pretend that Wisconsin's coaches (in football and basketball) take a bunch of slugs and win Big Ten titles. The reality is far different.

Totally agree. They get good talent in both sports. Not OSU or Michigan like in FB or Duke like in BB, but the talent level is pretty good. They do have good coaches in both sports though.

I don't think Kill will ever put all his eggs in one basket. Hopefully, we get this Golden egg but let's not worry about it if we don't.

From what I've read about Pirsig, I don't think he's thriving from the press attention. I think he's trying to make a well informed decision regarding his future. It's cheaper to hit as many schools on one trip if possible which is why he's visiting all these schools right now and MN isn't on the itinerary because it's a little out of the way this time (5 hours round trip) but he's been to campus plenty and will continue to visit until he makes a decision.

+1 I agree with Geezo. From what I have read from his interview and this quote , he seems to be appropriately deliberate in choosing his future school. He sounds like a humble, down to earth young man and will get a lot of wisdom and advice from his Family. I don't know how he can be categorized as someone wanting to be in the spotlight. He sounds like a great kid to me. I respect his plan for making such an important decision for his future.

I think if the Gophs come out this season and show improvement and display some momentum toward the future, he may still come here. If not, I agree that he's probably gone. As long as it's not Wisconsin or Iowa, though, I don't think it'll be a huge deal. He have quite a few young, talented o-linemen.

Pirsig is a small town kid getting his first taste of the star treatment. If he's a level-headed kid, he's got a year-plus to get past it. Don't worry too much about a teenager being impressed by impressive facilities and impressive personalities at impressive schools. In the end, a variety of factors will influence his decision, and Minnesota can compete.

I really wish someone would knock some sense into some of these kids and make them realize that going to play at big time universities isn't all it's cracked up to be. I mean one of the best OL prospects in the nation last year didn't even start at Miami last year. Look at all the great Minnesota prospects that have gone to OSU and failed miserably. He doesn't realize this yet but the only schools where he could be good at and actually get on the field are Iowa Minnesota and WisconSIN.

Henderson started 9 out of 12 games for the Hurricanes last year, according to their official site.

Top Bottom