Pirsig verbals to Minnesota

And the gophers are beating Iowa on the Big Ten Network right now too.

It looks like this Kill guy can recruit. I know there was and probably still is concern about Kill's ability to recruit in a big time conference, but he appears to be doing a pretty darn good job. Kill just might be the whole package. Keep it up Coach K.

It looks like this Kill guy can recruit. I know there was and probably still is concern about Kill's ability to recruit in a big time conference, but he appears to be doing a pretty darn good job. Kill just might be the whole package. Keep it up Coach K.

I think I know what you're getting at, but I wouldn't anoint him "the whole package" before he's even coached a game. That's can be dangerous. At any rate, this is big...really big. I think Minnesota's O-Line has the chance to be elite in 2-3 years.

and where are phil miller and myron medcalf from the minneapolis paper on this story? man, the minneapolis tribune sure takes their time on covering a story unless they are given the chance to break it first. perhaps feeling a little smitten that the st. paul paper beat them on this one me thinks.

Excellent news and I too, look forward to watching your career. Congrats, Jonah!

and where are phil miller and myron medcalf from the minneapolis paper on this story? man, the minneapolis tribune sure takes their time on covering a story unless they are given the chance to break it first. perhaps feeling a little smitten that the st. paul paper beat them on this one me thinks.

I was looking for it too. Give it a week :)

I think I know what you're getting at, but I wouldn't anoint him "the whole package" before he's even coached a game. That's can be dangerous. At any rate, this is big...really big. I think Minnesota's O-Line has the chance to be elite in 2-3 years.

yeah, the foundation and potential has certainly been added the last couple recruiting classes (if they are coached up right) to establish an O-line presence like we had under mason and shaw for a number of years there (i.e. setterstrom, hamilton, eslinger, brinkhaus, etc.). proper teaching of technique and getting them in proper shape and they could be a very solid group for several years.

+1

We have a lot of talent coming up with our OL. I know I am being a bit redundant listing off the kids but: the Olsens, Gjere, Campion, Isaac Hayes, Pirsig, the McAvoys, Bjorklund, and a few other guys give us a lot to look forward to in the future.

I know he wasn't too seriously considering these other programs.. but here's a list of some according to the PiPress:
Auburn, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State.

Now those haters can stop whining about Western Michigan recruits

So according to Bob's list we have at least 9 solid talents at OL, and that doesn't even include a guy like Bunders (though a senior, I believe).

4* running backs, what are you waiting for?

We have a lot of talent coming up with our OL. I know I am being a bit redundant listing off the kids but: the Olsens, Gjere, Campion, Isaac Hayes, Pirsig, the McAvoys, Bjorklund, and a few other guys give us a lot to look forward to in the future.

@Preps_Now
PiPress Tim Leighton
New Gophers recruit Jonah Pirsig: "The Gophers were No. 1 in my heart all along."

I am not anointing Coach K "the whole package." I said that he JUST MIGHT BE THE WHOLE PACKAGE. Meaning, I am not anointing him as the whole package yet, but based on what he has done thus far and if he can win on the field he should be considered the whole package. Accordingly, I said the same thing you did.

I tried to convince myself not to get caught-up in Pirsig Mania (for fear of another letdown), then Carlos came to town, and the thread got a little interesting and weird. I'll buy Carlos a beer if I ever meet him. Good get-the kind to build on.

Where is Minnesota Mustang or whatever his name is?

Nice job MN.

Brewster didn't do much well, but he did make big attempts to shore the U's relationship up with MN high schools, and perhaps that is now paying dividends for Kill.

Brewster would have been a wonderful assistant coach at the U for his enthusiasm and hard work. He's just not head coaching material.

Here's hoping Kill and staff know how to turn Pirsig's talent into a blocking machine.

By the way, I've said it before and I maintain that out-state MN is underrated in terms of the talent there. Just because live in an area and end up playing against competition that isn't as good shouldn't be a detriment. If they stand out as an athlete, they should get a fair look.

I agree that Brewster was making inroads with the Minnesota high schools. Heck, I was a very casual fan until Brewster came on board and got me excited.

That said, I think Brewster had lost most of his credibility as a coach by our final season. He would have had a very difficult time pulling off the coup that Kill is completing.

Brewster changed the attitude in minnesota and we can thank him for that.

Temper your enthusiasm a bit, the kids pretty raw, but he should be a stud in 2-4 years.

Brewster changed the attitude in minnesota and we can thank him for that.

Temper your enthusiasm a bit, the kids pretty raw, but he should be a stud in 2-4 years.

Everyone should thank both Brewster and Maturi for the present optimism and outlook surrounding the Gopher program. Brewster got everyone exited again about the possibilities for Gopher football, and Maturi hired Kill at exactly the right time and in the right way. Look at it this way. Without Tim Brewster there would be no Jerry Kill. Brewster's tenure was a minor blip in the 40 plus years of failure that has been Gopher football.

Now solidify McDonald, get Johnson and Davidson would be awfully sweet, though his eyes are more then likely elsewhere.

This is really significant to the program. Kill has sold OUR program to OUR Minnesota kids like hasn't been done in a generation. I have every confidence he will coach 'em up as well as any one could. I'm feeling really good about where we are headed.

BTW - Good job Carlos...it is hard to appreciate someone claiming any sort of inside info nowadays, but you got this one.

This unprecedented territory for the gophers. We haven't recruited this well in state probably since at least Holtz. Kill said he was gonna get after 'em in recruiting. Looks like he meant business. I am willing to bet McDonald keeps his word and stays onboard. As for Johnson and Davidson, I'm not so sure they'll be coming here. Davidson hasn't played a down of Minnesota high school football and from what I've read, Johnson's family has relocated here as well. Out of the two I'd say we have the best shot at Johnson, but I won't hold my breath.

Kill just keeps looking better and better to me every day. He has almost Holtz level buzz around him. I wish we were playing NMSU first and then USC, just so we could start off with a win at home. Then again, no one expects the gophers to even give USC a game, so it might be in his favor to get the toughest game out of the way first and the put together a little win streak leading up to the B1G season.

I believe reading in a previous thread that Johnson is from somewhere down south, and location will not impact his decision. Also, it's kind of false hope if anyone is thinking that MN commit A leads to MN commit B which eventually leads to Davidson committing. Davidson isn't really a MN kid. So, we do have a shot at him, even though he is 4 star. It's just that we have just as good of a shot at him as any other 4 star. He's not a MN kid. Location won't play a factor. But hey, who knows maybe we could get him:)

Go gophers!

Great news, welcome aboard Jonah. The Minnesota O line is trending up up and away! Keep them comming coach Kill.

I believe reading in a previous thread that Johnson is from somewhere down south, and location will not impact his decision. Also, it's kind of false hope if anyone is thinking that MN commit A leads to MN commit B which eventually leads to Davidson committing. Davidson isn't really a MN kid. So, we do have a shot at him, even though he is 4 star. It's just that we have just as good of a shot at him as any other 4 star. He's not a MN kid. Location won't play a factor. But hey, who knows maybe we could get him:)

Go gophers!

I know he is not a MN kid, and it sounds like Johnson may not be either, but regardless I do hope they would chose MN, though with both it does seem unlikely.

Johnson moved here was he was really young, I believe. So he's really more of a Minnesota kid than anything else. It's really tough to get a read on him and what he wants to do. I hope he chooses to stay home but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes elsewhere. As for Davidson, I think we stand about a 5% chance. He has an Ohio State offer (where his dad and grandpa played?) along with a few schools down south. He rarely mentions Minnesota so I don't think there is a whole lot of interest there.

Top Bottom