PICK A MN B10 RECORD

Seriously???? He left PSU??? I hadn't heard......I am seriously surprised DeChelis would have left for Navy.

Yep...DeChelis was one of the lucky ones...he must have sensed something was wrong with that toxic stench wafting its way out of the football offices/showers and down the various hallways...

Good for DeChelis...and too bad for his replacement, who should receive a contract extension as a reward for sticking around (not so) Happy Valley....:(

They've always faded?

The greater point of my original message is that the Gophers under Tubby have ALWAYS peaked in Nov-December...and they've always faded down the stretch.

Last season, I'll give ya' (in terms of fading), but "always" is an awfully strong word. Seems to me the Gophers went 7-3 down the stretch in 2009-10 (without Nolen) to secure a NCAA bid. That included wins in Indy they absolutely had to have over Michigan State & Purdue to have any chance at an at-large bid. Not sure I'd call that fading down the stretch.

PSU have gradually improved over the past 5 years and I put their program in a slightly better place then the Gophers.

You may put PSU's program in a slightly better place than the Gophers, but you're wrong. Since Tubby arrived, the Gophers are 81-54 for a .600 win percentage. Penn State, in that time frame, is 78-67, for a .540 win percentage. The Gophers have gone to two NCAA tournaments. Penn State has gone to one. The Gophers have won more Big Ten games in that time (38-33, including the BTT). The Gophers have more wins against Top 10 opponents (5-2).

And the Gophers are 11-1 this year, compared to Penn State, who is 6-5 and will probably finish last or second to last in the conference, depending on how much Iowa stinks. I'm not sure which metric you used to determine that Penn State is in better shape than the Gophers, so please tell me.

Seriously???? He left PSU??? I hadn't heard...but I do know that PSU had some decent talent last year and it wasn't just Battle. They finished runner up in the Big10 Tourney and won a game in the Big Dance...They didn't lose all their talent...I am seriously surprised DeChelis would have left for Navy.

The greater point of my original message is that the Gophers under Tubby have ALWAYS peaked in Nov-December...and they've always faded down the stretch. PSU have gradually improved over the past 5 years and I put their program in a slightly better place then the Gophers.

They've ALWAYS faded down the stretch?!?! You mean like when they went on the run in March to get to the B1G championship game and ultimately into the tourney without Nolen? Or when we made it to the B1G tourney semi by knocking off Indiana with Hoff's buzzer beater? Edit (Thanks for the stats Varsity. I didn't have time to look up that season's complete finish)

c'mon maaan...

You may put PSU's program in a slightly better place than the Gophers, but you're wrong. Since Tubby arrived, the Gophers are 81-54 for a .600 win percentage. Penn State, in that time frame, is 78-67, for a .540 win percentage. The Gophers have gone to two NCAA tournaments. Penn State has gone to one. The Gophers have won more Big Ten games in that time (38-33, including the BTT). The Gophers have more wins against Top 10 opponents (5-2).

And the Gophers are 11-1 this year, compared to Penn State, who is 6-5 and will probably finish last or second to last in the conference, depending on how much Iowa stinks. I'm not sure which metric you used to determine that Penn State is in better shape than the Gophers, so please tell me.

The metric would be "I can't stand Tubby and would like him out of here, so I will make off the wall statements that have no merit whatsoever when viewed logically and with all of the relevant data in mind." Using that metric, the comments are right on. :p

Back to the topic of this thread, I'll say 9-9. It won't be easy, but can be done.

You're wrong on 5 out of 6 points.. here's why..

Gophers average 71 points a game.. you're not scoring a ton of points off of turnovers
Gophers are 21st in the country in fg% at 49%

FT shooting is at 69.6% as a team. Not bad. Rodney Williams is a bad free throw shooter but every one that will be taking free throws is pretty good.. go look at the stats.

Welch is not inexperienced.. he's a junior. Austin is a sophomore, so are mav and chip. The latter 3 played a lot of minutes in big 10 games last year. Seems like Welch is a guy you can count on already. Andre is the only inexperienced one playing a lot of minutes.

Sampson hasn't played that much this year so it's hard to say he didn't improve but 15 and 8 isn't a bad first game back.

Big 10 isn't loaded with Elite teams, though it is a good conference. But gophers have 7 games that should be locks. I think a win over wisconsin, purdue, msu, illinois is possible at home.

Still think I'm wrong???

Holy Moses, yes, you are wrong. The Hawkeyes will have way more than two wins! (However, your 5 win MN bet looks real solid).

4-14 and here's why:

1)Not enough scoring in the half court offense. Running and gunning might be a bit easier against the St.Peter's of the world...it won't happen in Big Ten play.

2)Horrific Shooting....Playing chuck it up on the glass and crash the boards might work against Depaul and the Indiana State's of the world, but not against legit Big 10 teams.

3)FT shooting....I see no evidence Tubby has attacked this issue and it WILL cost the Gophers 3 or 4 close games.

4)Inexperience in back court...I have been impressed at times by all the newcomers and even Ahanmisi has shown improvement...but when crunch time comes, who can we really count on?

5)Sampson hasn't improved since Sophomore year...I remember that Purdue game at Williams Arena when he looked like a very promising player...but that was essentially his high water mark and he hasn't improved at all since...Same lousy moves down low and same soft, lethargic player with average hands.

6)Big Ten Strength...In the best case scenario, only Nebraska, Penn State and Iowa offer the Gophers a chance at avoiding the bottom 3 in the league.

Best Case Scenario: 6-12
Worst Case Scenario: 2-16

Probable: 4-14 CONF 17-16 overall with 1 win in the Big Ten Tourney. NIT Bubble here we come!

Actually I said 4-14 and here's my original post back in December.

Good job Bad! I have them 10-8 with a tourney win next year.

As a matter of fact, I think the people who predicted 8 or 9 wins were more "right" than I was guessing 6. That's because this team turned out to be more capable than I thought they'd be; it's just that they failed to close deals and play consistently. I said their ceiling was 7 wins, and as it turned out their ceiling was probably 10 wins.

As a matter of fact, I think the people who predicted 8 or 9 wins were more "right" than I was guessing 6. That's because this team turned out to be more capable than I thought they'd be; it's just that they failed to close deals and play consistently. I said their ceiling was 7 wins, and as it turned out their ceiling was probably 10 wins.

My feeling exactly. When the Beast when down I wrote off the year and concentrated on the future. I liked watching this team and can certainly remember far worse. Clem's first year was extremely painful, but with Willie Burton etc., you could certainly see what was coming. Can't wait til next year!

My feeling exactly. When the Beast when down I wrote off the year and concentrated on the future. I liked watching this team and can certainly remember far worse. Clem's first year was extremely painful, but with Willie Burton etc., you could certainly see what was coming. Can't wait til next year!

Agree re: Clem's squad, plus he got Melvin Newburn the next year (prop 48 casualty the first year). Who is the Willie Burton or Melvin Newburn on this team, though? The only possibility that I see is Dre (more in a Voshan role); I see Austin as more of a Walter Bond type (solid complimentary player)

You mentioned 3 of my all time favorite Gophers! I see Dre as the most talented and feel he will continue to develop into a true point guard. Agree on Austin. I see EE as a Dutcher big. Wish we had Jimmy Williams to mentor him and Huge Mo. Feel Tubby finally has an experienced, deep and balanced squad. No more excuses, time to win.

You mentioned 3 of my all time favorite Gophers! I see Dre as the most talented and feel he will continue to develop into a true point guard. Agree on Austin. I see EE as a Dutcher big. Wish we had Jimmy Williams to mentor him and Huge Mo. Feel Tubby finally has an experienced, deep and balanced squad. No more excuses, time to win.

Sorry, but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe we won't get gutted by defection again.

The Gophers were on brain lapse from Leonard from being 5-13. Now you think those that picked 8 or 9 wins were more right? I think I am now beginning to understand the thinking here with some about Tubby.

The Gophers were on brain lapse from Leonard from being 5-13. Now you think those that picked 8 or 9 wins were more right? I think I am now beginning to understand the thinking here with some about Tubby.

And we were a Julian Welch free throw or two away from sweeping the Illini. They stole one from us at their place, we stole one from them at the Barn. Add to that three late game collapses in both Iowa games and Michigan State and we're 10-8.

And we were a Julian Welch free throw or two away from sweeping the Illini. They stole one from us at their place, we stole one from them at the Barn. Add to that three late game collapses in both Iowa games and Michigan State and we're 10-8.

+1

Don't you think that part of being a fan is to know when you're drinking water not beer at the same time you see the glass half full? Otherwise, why watch? With all due respect, optimism is not a disease. I join Cayman, Howie, et al and enjoy watching the Gophers even if, and despite, 2011/12 aerial acts of self-destruction. Next year will rock!

Projected Big 10 record = 7-11

Tubby pulls one out of his backside in the BTT, and the Gophers win the opening round game, and go 1-1...

Possibility for a NIT bid at season's end.

Fairly solid projection...just had no idea the Gophs would get swept by friggin' Iowa.:eek:

Top Bottom