PICK A MN B10 RECORD

6-12 hope I'm wrong and they are better than that!

I don't think I could disagree any more wholeheartedly with your statement about seven games being a lock. Profoundly bold and bizarre comment to make. Minnesota has ZERO locks on the schedule. Outside of Ohio State with Sullinger, no team in the entire conference has more than six "locks." How can you make a statement like that? The Gophers have the ability to beat almost every team in the league, but also have the (in)ability to lose to EVERY team. I would not be stunned if they lost at home to Nebraska just as I would not be stunned to see them beat Purdue on the road. Again, there are ZERO locks on the schedule.

I don't know what's so profoundly bizarre or bold about saying you should beat neb, iowa and penn state for 6 easy wins. they are easily the 3 worst teams in the conference. I think NW at home is a lock as well

I don't know what's so profoundly bizarre or bold about saying you should beat neb, iowa and penn state for 6 easy wins. they are easily the 3 worst teams in the conference. I think NW at home is a lock as well

While I agree that we should win those games, I think the problem was using the word "lock," basically saying there is absolutely no chance we lose those games. We should win them yes, but it wouldn't be mind-blowing if we lost one of them.

I just don't agree with that. As bad as Iowa is, they are better than most teams minny has played in the nonconference. Same for Nebraska and Penn state.

BigGopherFan said:
I just don't agree with that. As bad as Iowa is, they are better than most teams minny has played in the nonconference. Same for Nebraska and Penn state.

They really aren't.

Projected Big 10 record = 7-11

Tubby pulls one out of his backside in the BTT, and the Gophers win the opening round game, and go 1-1...

Possibility for a NIT bid at season's end.

I see the Gophers going 8 - 10. But, I think we can steal a couple and go 11 - 7
as well. I tend to not be overly optimistic but I believe we're going to get a few breaks this year and run into to a few cold shooting teams.

@Illinois L
@Michigan L
vs. Iowa W
vs. Purdue W
@Indiana L
@Penn State W
vs. Northwestern W
@Michigan State L
vs. Illinois W
@Iowa W
@Nebraska W
vs. Wisconsin L
vs. Ohio State L
@Northwestern W
vs. Michigan State L
vs. Indiana W
@Wisconsin L
vs. Nebraska W

10-8, or 8-8 not counting wins against Iowa.

When I first did this, I had wins against Wisconsin at home, and @Illinois, and us at 12-6, then thought the team probably wouldn't do quite that well this season, so I lowered it to 10-8. I think both of those games are winnable, as are @Indiana, @Michigan, and home vs. Michigan State. Purdue at home and both Illinois games we could definitely lose though.

Also, we can get to 7 wins by beating only Iowa, Penn State, Northwestern, and Nebraska. I know we haven't played too well @Northwestern the last couple seasons, but even so, this 7 win season assumes we don't beat any of Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan State or Indiana at home, so where some of you are getting predictions like "This team will struggle to get to 6 wins," is beyond me.

I'm with you Cayman. The pessimism on this board is somewhat baffling to me considering how well our guards have been developing, and in light of some surprising and solid front court play from rodney. Yes, we often win ugly, but we continue to win. This team has demonstrated the type of mental toughness and grittiness we lacked last year. I love the way this team battles!

Some things going for us that I think will help us exceed expectations--

1) We still have a solid, albeit thin, front court with ralph, rodney, and eliason off the bench.
2) The three guard lineup has us much more tenacious on D than we were last year, which has resulted in some consistent fast break opportunities for us this year.
3) Our improved guard play has also made us more fluid on the offensive end than we've seen over the last four years. THis has contributed toward an excellent shooting percentage and an outstanding assist per bucket ratio.

Personally, I am excited to see this team prove some people on this board and some of the pundits wrong. While I believe this team could realistically fall anywhere between 8-10 and 11-7, I believe the continued development of our back court will cause us to greatly exceed expectations this year. I think we hold serve at home except for Oh St. and pick up wins on the road at Iowa, Penn St., and NE. I'm calling 11-7 and a win or two in the tourney where guard play is crucial.

@Illinois L
@Michigan L
vs. Iowa W
vs. Purdue W
@Indiana L
@Penn State W
vs. Northwestern W
@Michigan State L
vs. Illinois W
@Iowa W
@Nebraska W
vs. Wisconsin W
vs. Ohio State L
@Northwestern L
vs. Michigan State W
vs. Indiana W
@Wisconsin L
vs. Nebraska W

Not sure how you can say this when these teams are losing to the types of teams the Gophers are beating consistently.

From the evidence I've seen to this point, I'm looking at the B1G season like this.

B1G teams the Gophers unequivocally will finish behind:
Michigan State
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

B1G teams the Gophers definitely will finish ahead of:
Iowa
Penn State

Meaning, I'm seeing the Gophers with a ceiling of 5th, and a rock bottom of 10th. I see us fighting for "upper mid-pack" with Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska and Northwestern. There's likely to be 2-3 NCAA bids (maybe even 4?) in that muddled middle.

People are vastly under-rating the Illini. They are a near lock for top 3 and I think they'll edge out Purdue for 2nd....After further review, I'm giving the Gophers a 5th win...Iowa and Nebraska should get the Gophers 3 W's...PSU and perhaps NW give the Gophers 5. 17-14 entering the tourney would give them a shot at the NIT if they could win a game.

My finish:

1)OSU...............16-2
2)Illini................14-4
3)Purdue............13-5
4)Wisconsin........12-6
5)Michigan..........11-7
6)MSU................10-8
7)IU....................9-9
8)NW...................7-11
9)PSU..................6-12
10)Minn................5-13
11)Neb.................3-15
12)Iowa................2-16

People are vastly under-rating the Illini. They are a near lock for top 3 and I think they'll edge out Purdue for 2nd....After further review, I'm giving the Gophers a 5th win...Iowa and Nebraska should get the Gophers 3 W's...PSU and perhaps NW give the Gophers 5. 17-14 entering the tourney would give them a shot at the NIT if they could win a game.

My finish:

1)OSU...............16-2
2)Illini................14-4
3)Purdue............13-5
4)Wisconsin........12-6
5)Michigan..........11-7
6)MSU................10-8
7)IU....................9-9
8)NW...................7-11
9)PSU..................6-12
10)Minn................5-13
11)Neb.................3-15
12)Iowa................2-16

How in the world does PSU finish above MN? lol are you feeling okay? The Gophers could play 4-5 against PSU with actual lions surrounding the court and still not lose.

SelectionSunday, how many B1G games do you think we will have to win to get into the tourney? 9 regular season plus a B1G tournament win?

Respectfully, I can't see Illinois going 14-4. The Bradley transfer has helped them a lot with his leadership and toughness, and Leonard will be a handful, but they remind me a lot of the Gophers. ... (1) they're going to have trouble scoring against quality B1G defenses and (2) they'll have trouble winning on the road, anywhere.

SelectionSunday, how many B1G games do you think we will have to win to get into the tourney? 9 regular season plus a B1G tournament win?

That's a tough one at this early juncture. ... I'm having a hard time even envisioning the Gophers getting to 9-9.

However, assuming we beat NDSU -- and I'm by no means assuming that -- I'd feel comfortable saying 10-8, as long as there are a couple wins over the likes of OSU/Bucky/Sparty/Purdue (we have 6 games vs. those 4), teams I'd guess will finish ahead of us in the standings. Perhaps most importantly, it NEVER HURTS to have at least one road win over a legitimate NCAA-caliber opponent.

How in the world does PSU finish above MN? lol are you feeling okay? The Gophers could play 4-5 against PSU with actual lions surrounding the court and still not lose.

Easy! PSU has a better coach in DeChelis...his teams actually improve through the season, while the Gophers have ALWAYS regressed under Tubby.

From the evidence I've seen to this point, I'm looking at the B1G season like this.

B1G teams the Gophers unequivocally will finish behind:
Michigan State
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Just wondering what you've seen from Purdue to make you certain they're a top 4 team in the Big Ten? Looking at their resume thus far and having watched them play a few times, I don't really have that strong of an opinion of Purdue this year. I think they'll make the tournament, but I could definitely see them finishing 6th or 7th in the conference.

Easy! PSU has a better coach in DeChelis...his teams actually improve through the season, while the Gophers have ALWAYS regressed under Tubby.

You just lost any credibility you had left. Have you watched a single B1G game this year?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Step 1) Go to google.com
Step 2) Type "Who is the head basketball coach at Penn State University
Step 3) Be utterly amazed
Step 4) Since I assume you actually have no clue what you are talking about, replace DeChelis with coach Patrick Chambers in your above post.

BTW, Taylor Battle graduated if you didn't know?

What are your thoughts on Coah Lickliter over at Iowa? How do you think Nebraska will do in the Big12 this year? Any opinion on MSU's chances with Shannon Brown? Do you think President Clinton will have a successful second term?

Wave goodbye to your credibility.

Did I miss something? Did DeChellis come back to Penn State after leaving for Navy?

Just wondering what you've seen from Purdue to make you certain they're a top 4 team in the Big Ten? Looking at their resume thus far and having watched them play a few times, I don't really have that strong of an opinion of Purdue this year. I think they'll make the tournament, but I could definitely see them finishing 6th or 7th in the conference.

Fair points.

To be honest, recent history plays a big part in my thinking. When's the last time the Gophers finished ahead of (one of) Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue or Wisconsin? I'll answer my own question. ... 2005-06. I don't see that changing this season, certainly not without Mbakwe. All 4 of those teams have a proven B1G go-to guy that the Gophers don't have. ... Sparty (Green), OSU (Sullinger & Buford), Purdue (Hummel) and Bucky (Taylor).

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Step 1) Go to google.com
Step 2) Type "Who is the head basketball coach at Penn State University
Step 3) Be utterly amazed
Step 4) Since I assume you actually have no clue what you are talking about, replace DeChelis with coach Patrick Chambers in your above post.

BTW, Taylor Battle graduated if you didn't know?

What are your thoughts on Coah Lickliter over at Iowa? How do you think Nebraska will do in the Big12 this year? Any opinion on MSU's chances with Shannon Brown? Do you think President Clinton will have a successful second term?

Wave goodbye to your credibility.

Seriously???? He left PSU??? I hadn't heard...but I do know that PSU had some decent talent last year and it wasn't just Battle. They finished runner up in the Big10 Tourney and won a game in the Big Dance...They didn't lose all their talent...I am seriously surprised DeChelis would have left for Navy.

The greater point of my original message is that the Gophers under Tubby have ALWAYS peaked in Nov-December...and they've always faded down the stretch. PSU have gradually improved over the past 5 years and I put their program in a slightly better place then the Gophers.

Seriously???? He left PSU??? I hadn't heard...but I do know that PSU had some decent talent last year and it wasn't just Battle. They finished runner up in the Big10 Tourney and won a game in the Big Dance...They didn't lose all their talent...I am seriously surprised DeChelis would have left for Navy.

The greater point of my original message is that the Gophers under Tubby have ALWAYS peaked in Nov-December...and they've always faded down the stretch. PSU have gradually improved over the past 5 years and I put their program in a slightly better place then the Gophers.

PSU lost 4 of their top 5 scorers last year... They've lost to Duquesne, Lafayette, and Ole Miss already this year... DeChellis left because his seat was hot.

Top Bottom