Pharrel Payne's best game as a Gopher

He has no idea what he is delving into but the truth is any and all playing time in a Big Ten game is valuable experience.

Henley took five shots in 33 minutes. He only made one but it was after an offensive rebound. Good. But he is obviously responding to coaching by moving the ball, getting assists, and playing some decent defense.

He is improving.
I don't know if I agree or disagree with this stance, but I will say this:

10-12 minutes per game playing the right role with competent teammates is more valuable than 15-18 minutes per game playing anywhere out of utter desperation.

How can you develop a great team when we have no PGs on the roster? Who are you developing if we don’t get a portal PG? It’s not cooper as he’ll be a SR.
My goal/hope is always the Sweet-16. I want to put together a complete team that can challenge for it.

My preferred method is Clem style...and then to sustain it with continued recruiting.

Maybe we can push my timeline ahead by a year and try for it next year. But I don't want to waste playing-time on someone who will be gone after next year.

My goal/hope is always the Sweet-16. I want to put together a complete team that can challenge for it.

My preferred method is Clem style...and then to sustain it with continued recruiting.

Maybe we can push my timeline ahead by a year and try for it next year. But I don't want to waste playing-time on someone who will be gone after next year.
So Cooper shouldn’t play next year? Or battle for that matter? Really any sr shouldn’t play as the goal is 2024-25 in your mind. Is that accurate?

Apparently our Freshmen are the only freshmen gaining valuable experience. Only the Gopher Freshmen will be better next year..

So Cooper shouldn’t play next year? Or battle for that matter? Really any sr shouldn’t play as the goal is 2024-25 in your mind. Is that accurate?

You forget he wants guys to be injured. Maybe Battle can wreck his knee so he doesn’t leave?

Pp had a great game. Was it maturity or good match ups?

Payne was awesome last night. He really does have a unique skill set (NBA body, athletic, and more skill than I think he gets credit for). I'm excited to see what he can do with a little more around him.
That's for sure, getting more shooters around him will help him go to work down low, and I'm hopeful he shoots 1,000 jumpers a day over the summer. Still mystified why he doesn't shoot occasional 12 footers-I know he's not a great shooter at this point, but he's certainly capable of doing it eventually. He also showed some of the footwork and quickness that is so unique for a player his size. Guys his size with his great hands and feet just don't come along very often. And he showed his passing ability as well.

Best case scenario is he comes back next year with a dependable jumper. And an additional 20 lbs of muscle, which is likely. He still has a lot of work to do, but he's going to be a load to handle in coming years.

It was good matchups, but huge for confidence.

Illinois tomorrow night. Hope he keeps it up. won't be as easy against Illinois.

Need to pin EasyTherePilgrim on how insane his strategy is
Well how well has the standard strategy worked for us over the last 25 years? Balanced classes, trying our best...and always losing a key player or 2 every year. Our best teams are strong at 3 or 4 positions and weak at 1 or 2...always just-shy of being a contender.

Maybe a very good PG. But that's it. And I wouldn't want to give him all the playing-time unless we were ready to make an NCAA run. I want to develop a good complete team in 2 years.
The best way to build a complete team in two years is to be competitive and start winning next year. Future recruiting rests heavily on showing growth and improvement.

We need to do everything possible next year to get on that upward trend.

Maybe a very good PG. But that's it. And I wouldn't want to give him all the playing-time unless we were ready to make an NCAA run. I want to develop a good complete team in 2 years.
We need to give a transfer PG all the playing time until we have someone on the roster to replace him. That is not Carrington, Henley, or Christie.

It was good matchups, but huge for confidence.

Illinois tomorrow night. Hope he keeps it up. won't be as easy against Illinois.
Payne has had back pain (Payne's Pain) for much of the year, plus nagging ankle sprains. That's why he has been at the high post much of the season.

He must have been healthy enough to bang last night coupled with a favorable matchup.

Last edited:

Well how well has the standard strategy worked for us over the last 25 years? Balanced classes, trying our best...and always losing a key player or 2 every year. Our best teams are strong at 3 or 4 positions and weak at 1 or 2...always just-shy of being a contender.
No strategy has worked for the gophers with any regularity over the past 25 years

I don't know if I agree or disagree with this stance, but I will say this:

10-12 minutes per game playing the right role with competent teammates is more valuable than 15-18 minutes per game playing anywhere out of utter desperation.
You have described the difference in developing freshmen in a strong program and a weak program. Clearly Henley played 33 minutes last night out some level of desperation. Not quite utter desperation because Samuels was down the bench.

Not the ideal way to bring him along but Johnson is making the best out of the reality he faces. When and if Carrington is ready to go 100% that will change.

You wouldn't want a guard for one year who could really help our young players learn what it takes to win in this league?

Even if Correa had not re-signed with the Twins his leadership last year was worth gold. No stat Bobby Jackson put up was as important as the example he gave for everyone else.

The best way to build a complete team in two years is to be competitive and start winning next year. Future recruiting rests heavily on showing growth and improvement.

We need to do everything possible next year to get on that upward trend.
I disagree.

Giving minutes to players who will be gone won't help us win in 2 years. And it won't help us recruit either.

I disagree.

Giving minutes to players who will be gone won't help us win in 2 years. And it won't help us recruit either.
Recruits want to see an avenue to play time. Playing younger guys can show the spots taken. It also can show Ben will play younger guys. My point is it won’t hurt recruiting any more or less either way.

The path to winning is being old and having good players. Most likely the majority of that will have to happen through program development imo vs full on portal

Recruits want to see an avenue to play time. Playing younger guys can show the spots taken. It also can show Ben will play younger guys. My point is it won’t hurt recruiting any more or less either way.

The path to winning is being old and having good players. Most likely the majority of that will have to happen through program development imo vs full on portal
Really the same for any sport or most businesses, you need organic growth (recruitment in this case) and supplement it with acquisition of external assets (portal players) for long-term substantial success. It’s hard, but doable.

You have described the difference in developing freshmen in a strong program and a weak program. Clearly Henley played 33 minutes last night out some level of desperation. Not quite utter desperation because Samuels was down the bench.

Not the ideal way to bring him along but Johnson is making the best out of the reality he faces. When and if Carrington is ready to go 100% that will change.
Cbj is making the best out of the reality he created.

Both. After watching the second game against Purdue, I suspected that the game against PSU gave us one of the better remaining chances for a win because we would not have to spend so much energy trying to deal with a very strong post presence.

PSU clearly is one of the weaker conference teams upfront. The other players on the team also recognized Payne's ability to dominate against the PSU defenders and regularly got him the ball inside. Cooper, Henley, and Battle had 16 assists between them and more than a few of those went to Payne. Payne also has turned into a pretty good passing big man himself.

Payne had his best game offensively when he was asked to work with the ball in the low post instead of the top of the key? I am soooo surprised considering his skill set. I can't believe I read someone suggesting Payne wasn't banging down low earlier because he may have been hurt. If that's true, why wouldn't we have gotten him healthy earlier in the year to prepare for the gauntlet down the stretch? Has Ben learned nothing from last year's BTT game? I really hope this trend continues for Payne, and I really, really hope the trend for Ben (making an obvious decision 10-15 games too late) will be over for the foreseeable future.

The game can be really humbling for freshmen. Best game to worst game in 48 hours. However, it's fun to see the growth of Henley and Ola-Joseph.

Last edited:

The game can be really humbling for freshmen. Bast game to worst game in 48 hours. However, it's fun to see the growth of Henley and Ola-Joseph.
I guess I need to pay closer attention. I am having some difficulty seeing the growth of Henley.

I guess I need to pay closer attention. I am having some difficulty seeing the growth of Henley.
I see speed, quickness, length and he does look very athletic. Basketball skill-wise, he has a very long way to go. Although the improvement is very incremental, I do see improvement since late Dec. He is still very sped-up much of the time on the offensive side of the ball, but am honestly seeing a little progress in terms of finding open teammates in the lane and getting to the spots he needs to more often. He, like many freshmen, hasn't shaken some of the "I got away with that in high school, but can't do it here" moments on both sides of the ball.

In my 30 or so years of being around college athletes, it's obvious that they all develop at their own pace. It's different for everybody. Right now he kinda reminds me a lot of a couple of players I've been around, who were absolutely lost as freshmen, but became fairly dynamic by the time they were juniors. Not predicting that, but I am intrigued with his athleticism, so I'm not willing to give up on him yet.

Top Bottom