Perich, Abasiri & Pretzlaff Watch

My thing with Perich is didn’t he have Michigan and Washington offers before committing? Yet he’s intrigued by OSU and FSU?

If Koi Perich were my son I would encourage him to be upfront with the Gophers and take all of his official visits. I would be hoping he would still choose the Gophers but I feel like the right thing for him to do is to look at all his options. You're making a huge decision - it would be best to weigh everything.
Yep! Having a son that recently went thru the process - so many variables, so many different things to look at.

If Koi Perich were my son I would encourage him to be upfront with the Gophers and take all of his official visits. I would be hoping he would still choose the Gophers but I feel like the right thing for him to do is to look at all his options. You're making a huge decision - it would be best to weigh everything.
With the transfer portal, it is like going on a date. If it doesn't work, get a new one next week!

Facts, they could be taking a shit one day and it the toilet doesn't flush and decide that's enough and just leave
And not even tell anyone.

Just let it sit there, for someone else to find a week later

Pretty much sounds exactly like what is occurring!

I see a crystal ball of Perich to OSU. Sounds like he's still taking his FSU visit, so who knows. But not good for us.

If they are going to decommit, then just rip the band-aid off and move on.

Don't do some freaking BS of posting a "top three". Just F'ing get it over with.
Saw a quote from a coach, can't remember who it was, that said he liked the portal because they are straight shooting and the players know what they want and if they will fit. With HS kids you have to deal with all the finalists and of 12 then 8 then 5 and 3 and so on.

I see a crystal ball of Perich to OSU. Sounds like he's still taking his FSU visit, so who knows. But not good for us.
I mean come on. Ohio State, Florida State … Minnesota?

How many times does the same movie have to play before the ending is known before it even gets there? Not going to waste any sleep over it

He’s the one of the 3 that I want to stay. Plug and play by all accounts, a position of need, from here…yes please! Be a legend like Tyler, Blake and Carter!

Hard to turn down Ohio State, but even as a top Safety, will he get buried on the depth chart. I really wanted Koi, but let's see. Sucks to lose Pretzlaff too.

He’s the one of the 3 that I want to stay. Plug and play by all accounts, a position of need, from here…yes please! Be a legend like Tyler, Blake and Carter!
He reminds me of a guy like Tyler who can line up all over the field and translates to multiple positions.

just a thought - MN in the past has tended to get a lot of early commitments. that looks good for the recruiting rankings and gives fans something to get excited about.

But - the earlier someone commits, the more time there is until national signing day - and the more time there is for other programs to take a second look, or a first look at the MN commits, and decide if there are any worth taking a run at. ("hey, this guy committed to MN. did we take a look at him?")

in today's climate of NIL, etc - I wonder if it is harder to hold onto recruits for a longer period of time. like asking the OL to hold blocks longer to set up a deep pass pattern.

so my thought is - does having more recruits commit early make it harder to hold onto all of them?

Saw a quote from a coach, can't remember who it was, that said he liked the portal because they are straight shooting and the players know what they want and if they will fit. With HS kids you have to deal with all the finalists and of 12 then 8 then 5 and 3 and so on.

...and that whole "pick a hat" nonsense. 🤮

just a thought - MN in the past has tended to get a lot of early commitments. that looks good for the recruiting rankings and gives fans something to get excited about.

But - the earlier someone commits, the more time there is until national signing day - and the more time there is for other programs to take a second look, or a first look at the MN commits, and decide if there are any worth taking a run at. ("hey, this guy committed to MN. did we take a look at him?")

in today's climate of NIL, etc - I wonder if it is harder to hold onto recruits for a longer period of time. like asking the OL to hold blocks longer to set up a deep pass pattern.

so my thought is - does having more recruits commit early make it harder to hold onto all of them?
It definitely can make it harder to hold on the commitments but Minnesota also can't afford to wait because they don't have the profile that USC and OSU do in order to flip commits late in the recruiting cycle

There is the other side though. We're not going to win recruiting wars with OSU and Michigan very often, so waiting to get guys closer to signing day when the big programs are looking for fillers doesn't work either. It appears the current approach is to try and get guys blow the radar and have them hold to their commitment after they blow up senior year (like Rashod Bateman). Doesn't always work, but the best way we're going to get some better talent in the program.

Absolute no win scenario here. Logically yes you want kids to commit ASAP. The issue, that does nothing. What happens if the kid regresses? Not much you can do. What happens if he blooms, well then OSU USC FSU come calling. And you can't not take a kid if he wants to commit.

Basically the kids hold 100% of the cards. Which is fair I suppose it's their life/future but man it makes it tough. I guess it's hard to feel bad for the coach, he's making millions, I'd be ok with that ha. And sucks for us fans but again it's not our life so hard to tell a kid what to do.

Just the world we live in I guess. Feels like a change needs to happen but 0 idea what that is.

It's the smart move in today's world to take the OSU offer if it exists. Either you break out on a high profile team or you transfer to a team like MN down the line like Carroll did. If he gets buried on the depth chart, I expect to see him transfer here for the 2026 season.

No

When they established the early signing date a few years ago, I think that briefly helped us in this regard. The helmet schools didn't necessarily worry about the early date at first. If they swooped in late but didn't give a concrete offer before the first signing day, we could say, "See, they aren't really serious." However, it feels like that has changed; it seems like the big boys are offering plan B and C guys earlier and trying to get more in before the early signing date now.

No, I don't have evidence to back that up. And the portal may change the strategy even more.

My question is how many players can these other schools buy? It's a lot more expensive for Ohio State to pay 20 players that are four and five stars and find "employment opportunities" for them than for us to do the same for two four stars. How much do each of these guys cost? I know it's not the only criteria, but it is a new one. I guess we'll see.

Looks like we are making one last ditch effort to keep him home.....Where do the bucs play this weekend? Lets fly winfield in and seal the deal
I imagine the DC hire happens before then so that they can bring him in as well to try to convince koi to stay

So the real question is On3 basing their opinion on him flipping off of any sort of inside info or just the fact that he visited Ohio State and Ohio State is > than Minnesota?

Would suck if Perich flips but it is what it is. Hopefully he decides to stay home but would be tough to fault a kid for chasing an offer at a place like Ohio State where they are able to compete with the best of the best and have a legit shot of being in the National Championship mix most years.

Top Bottom