Pat Chambers

Pat Chambers is an anomaly and expectations were so low at Penn St. Don't think we can play this game. Chambers salary this year was 1.25 million w/o bonuses. His winning bonuses have added another 600K, still under Pitino.

Says his salary is 900K on Wikipedia. Either way that's well under Pitino. Not high expecations.

Last edited:

I actually like him but that 9 year standard for achieving one barely above .500 season is unacceptable.

I actually like him but that 9 year standard for achieving one barely above .500 season is unacceptable.
Agreed I think he's a good coach and might have something there now. But yeah that's absurd to let a guy have that much time unless your program has been so bad as Penn States has been.

Agreed I think he's a good coach and might have something there now. But yeah that's absurd to let a guy have that much time unless your program has been so bad as Penn States has been.
Did anyone think they continued to be that bad that long because they kept him.

He did get them to 22nd defensively this year, thus the moderate success.

Interesting how many judge a basketball program as good or unacceptable solely based on their win/loss record. What about other factors such as performance in the classroom, graduation rates, representing the school in in a positive way in the community, being outstanding citizens, setting good examples for others and so one. I like to see our team win just as much as anyone but sometimes think we as fans put too much emphasis on only the winning part when making a judgement on whether a program is good or not.

Interesting how many judge a basketball program as good or unacceptable solely based on their win/loss record. What about other factors such as performance in the classroom, graduation rates, representing the school in in a positive way in the community, being outstanding citizens, setting good examples for others and so one. I like to see our team win just as much as anyone but sometimes think we as fans put too much emphasis on only the winning part when making a judgement on whether a program is good or not.
Agree all of what you mentioned is mandatory to me, so is taking hard classes, and winning. Do it all !

PSU is a football school. It's like Alabama and LSU. They will let BB coaches wallow away for a decade before doing anything. Fans just don't care about basketball. Minnesota is not analogous to PSU.

Did anyone think they continued to be that bad that long because they kept him.
I don't know they've had a pretty storied bad program. They get nobody at their games, even this year. They mighta had a couple with a decent crowd against Michigan St or whoever but overall it's been brutal basketball for them.

We should not aspire to be Penn State in basketball. Period.

This is a terrible analogy for a host of reasons. As a Pitino supporter, you want to use Chambers as a benchmark for what Pitino might be? Really?

Top Bottom