Part I: Eighth Annual GopherHole Survey Summary Report - Demographics

DL65

Reaction score
Thank you to all that participated in this year's survey! I sincerely appreciate the time that you took to fill out the survey. The survey's success is dependent on the members participation. IMO, this year's survey was a success!

There were 96 respondents in this year's survey. Previous year totals:

2012: 108
2011: 179
2010: 174
2009: 171
2008: 179
2007: 229

Although there has been marked decline in survey numbers, the information provided to the GopherHole Admins should prove to be beneficial.

This summary will focus on the questionnaire's demographics.

Responses to the GopherHole-related questions will be summarized in another report in a few days, after I've had a chance to review and compile the responses to the questions. I'll file a third summary report that's related to the Fun Questions soon thereafter.

Now to the Demographics:

The average age of this year's respondents is 39.86 years.
(Previous years: 2012 - 40.18; 2011 - 36.78; 2010 - 36.14; 2009 - 34.42; 2008 - 34.16; and 2007 - 37.45.)

Male - 94 (97.92%)
Female 2 ( 2.08%)

Number of years (average) as a Gopher Fan:

(Previous year averages: 2012 - 29.39; 2011 - 26.72; 2010 - 25.66; and 2009 - 24.48.)

Minnesota Native:

Yes - 81 (84.38%)
No - 15 (15.62%)

Current Address:

Metro - 52 (54.16%)
Outstate - 15 (5.62%)
Out of state - 27 (28.13%)
Out of country - 2 (England and Bangladesh) (2.08%)

Out of state locales and number of GopherHole members:

California - 4
FLorida - 1
Illinois - 4
Iowa - 3
Louisiana - 1
Michigan - 1
Missouri- 3
Nebraska - 1
Nevada -2
North Dakota -2
Pennsylvania - 1
South Dakota - 1
Wisconsin - 3

Post Secondary Degree(s) and School(s):

University of Minnesota - 46
Other colleges - 48

AA -2
BA -90
Masters - 30
Doctorate - 11
(1 Master plumber)

Working toward a degree:

BA -4
Masters - 6
Ph.D - 2

Attend at least one game per year:

Yes - 85 (88:54%)
No - 11 (11.46%)

FB - 74
BB - 26
Hockey - 8

Season Ticket Holder:

Yes - 55 (57.29%)
No - 41 (42.71%)

FB - 50
BB - 22
Hockey - 3

Age Brackets:

16-20: 1 ( 1.04%)
21-30: 27 (28.13%)
31-40: 29 (30.21%)
41-50: 16 (16.67%)
51-60: 14 (14.58%)
61-70: 6 ( 6.25%)
71-80: 3 ( 3.12%)

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL.

Lot's on interesting info in there. Rather poor participation compared to years past.

Curious if you would have the age bracket figures from years past.

Thanks DL.

Lot's on interesting info in there. Rather poor participation compared to years past.

Curious if you would have the age bracket figures from years past.

I do. I could post last year's if interested. (Number of respondents last year and this year are somewhat close.) If I were to post age brackets of previous years it would become quite cumbersome.

Go Gophers

Good to see a good percentage of young fans in your numbers. Nothing against the old guys, of course. :p

station19 here's the age bracket totals of the 2012 survey:

15-20: 2 ( .02%)
21-30: 33 (31.13%)
31-40: 23 (21.70&)
41-50: 24 (22.64%)
51-60: 12 (11.32%)
61-70: 11 (10.38%)
71-80: 1 ( .009%)

Go Gophers!!

Good to see a good percentage of young fans in your numbers. Nothing against the old guys, of course. :p

GophersInIowa,

Right you are. As a 65 year-old, I'd like to see a lot more young people joining up as Gopher fans and members of GopheHole.

What's really impressive in my book is the Degree(s) and School(s) component. Education levels of the membership is impressive.

Go Gophers!!

station19 here's the age bracket totals of the 2012 survey:

15-20: 2 ( .02%)
21-30: 33 (31.13%)
31-40: 23 (21.70&)
41-50: 24 (22.64%)
51-60: 12 (11.32%)
61-70: 11 (10.38%)
71-80: 1 ( .009%)

Go Gophers!!

Thanks..pretty similar.

75% being 50 and under makes me happy, and I'm over...

Ahhhhh crap missed this. You must not have left this up for long DL. Where was this?

Ahhhhh crap missed this. You must not have left this up for long DL. Where was this?

Exactly where it still is now - pinned atop this message board as well as hoops board for over a week.

Exactly where it still is now - pinned atop this message board as well as hoops board for over a week.

Well, Parski1 is excused, because he has been brain dead for the last two weeks.

No wonder - I use an iPhone with ForumRunner so I don't see things pinned atop the message board.

Thanks for putting in the work doing this DL65!!! I fill it out every year and do really enjoy learning a little bit about my fellow posters! Thanks again!

No wonder - I use an iPhone with ForumRunner so I don't see things pinned atop the message board.

You can hit the "stickies" tab next to the "thread" tab once you enter the desired forum to see it in forum-runner. I use the ForumRunner iPhone and iPad app and I just learned that the other day. :)

Exactly, TLH...as the pups will eventually learn..."We get too soon old and too late smart."

TLHG04 and Dr. Don congratulations you just won the Nigerian Lottery, unfortunately before we can send you each 2,000,000 US dollars we need both of you to pay me 20,000 USD of withholding taxes. Once the withholding taxes are wired, we will pay out your lottery winnings within 48 hours of receipt. There is wisdom for you!

I noticed the age is getting older each year. Should we be moving this conversation to Twitter. I hope not.

I noticed the age is getting older each year. Should we be moving this conversation to Twitter. I hope not.

I've tried to do my part to slow the process without much success.

What little success I've achieved has only been cosmetic.

There's still time. Make sure you spell my name correctly when you get to the question about your favorite poster......................I'll send you a red-head.

Sarah-Rafferty-gif-2.gif

There's still time. Make sure you spell my name correctly when you get to the question about your favorite poster......................I'll send you a red-head.

Sarah-Rafferty-gif-2.gif

Sure! Now that I have already completed my form you offer the good prizes!

Sure! Now that I have already completed my form you offer the good prizes!

Killjoy, station19 sent this chick to me a while back to help me spend my money. I didn't take her long, she did a good job. Now I see he is back to soliciting others with the same scam. Be Aware!!!

I remember from years and years ago as a young kid growing up, my late Mother saying to me, "You know better than that!!!" I'd always think to myself, "the hell I do, or I wouldn't have done it in the first place."

I am old and slow, so be gentle. I still can not find out how to answer the survey. Help Please.

I am old and slow, so be gentle. I still can not find out how to answer the survey. Help Please.

Here is what you do, Stan55:

Copy this in comment: Left click from beginning to end and put it into your new comment, you should be able to then answer questions. Good Luck. Doc

DEMOGRAPHICS
• # of years as a Gopher fan:
• Minnesota Native:
• Hometown:
• Current Address:
• Post Secondary degree(s) and school(s):
• Attend at least one Gopher football and/or basketball game per year:
• Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball:

GOPHERHOLE WEBSITE QUESTIONS
• What do you like about the GopherHole website?
• What features or improvements would you like to see implemented?
• (Killjoy’s question) Who is your favorite GopherHole poster?
• What GopherHole Forums do you visit with regularity and those that you occasionally visit and post?
• Do you participate in the social media?

FUN QUESTIONS
• (GophersInIowa question) What favorite foods, snacks do you serve at tailgate gatherings or at home for a Gopher sporting event (looking for new ideas)?
• Who is the most athletic player that you witnessed in person playing for the Golden Gophers?
• (Great Plains Gopher question) Who is your all-time favorite player that you witnessed in person playing for the Golden Gophers?

Here is what you do, Stan55:

Copy this in comment: Left click from beginning to end and put it into your new comment, you should be able to then answer questions. Good Luck. Doc

DEMOGRAPHICS
• # of years as a Gopher fan:65
• Minnesota Native:yes
• Hometown:MPLS
• Current Address:San Marino Calif.
• Post Secondary degree(s) and school(s):UofM BA, Botany/Zoology; BS Education (Natural Science and Coaching)
• Attend at least one Gopher football and/or basketball game per year:not possible
• Season Ticket Holder for Gopher football and/or basketball:not any longer

GOPHERHOLE WEBSITE QUESTIONS
• What do you like about the GopherHole website? Good group of members generally
• What features or improvements would you like to see implemented?
• (Killjoy’s question) Who is your favorite GopherHole poster? DR. Don
• What GopherHole Forums do you visit with regularity and those that you occasionally visit and post? football forum Daily
• Do you participate in the social media? no

FUN QUESTIONS
• (GophersInIowa question) What favorite foods, snacks do you serve at tailgate gatherings or at home for a Gopher sporting event (looking for new ideas)? Brats and Beer
• Who is the most athletic player that you witnessed in person playing for the Golden Gophers? Paul Giel
• (Great Plains Gopher question) Who is your all-time favorite player that you witnessed in person playing for the Golden Gophers?
Paul Giel

Ya did it, big guy. Us old farts gotta stick together or the pups will run all over us.

Remember the old adage, "What dogs do to wheels?"

Well I prefer to think "What do big wheels do to little dogs?"

Top Bottom