Parking

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I see that there are still roughly 600 tailgating parking spaces still available very near the Stadium. Everything that I have read has said that the 'U' plans to pre-sell every parking space on campus under their control.

So, what happens if not all of those 600 spaces are reserved (and the additional athletic department $$ pledged)? I am in the Oak Street ramp but I would love to tailgate within sight of the stadium on occasion. I'm assuming it would be bad if there were still hundreds of university controlled tailgating spots open after seat selection is complete. Then, it would really be sad if they were available and people like me ended up taking two game day spots on campus if I decided to show up early for a game-day tailgating experience (because my ramp location would still be reserved and pre-paid, plus I'd be paying a game-day fee to tailgate). Or, would they just leave tailgating lots within site of the stadium be 1/4-1/2 unused?

I see that there are still roughly 600 tailgating parking spaces still available very near the Stadium. Everything that I have read has said that the 'U' plans to pre-sell every parking space on campus under their control.

So, what happens if not all of those 600 spaces are reserved (and the additional athletic department $$ pledged)? I am in the Oak Street ramp but I would love to tailgate within sight of the stadium on occasion. I'm assuming it would be bad if there were still hundreds of university controlled tailgating spots open after seat selection is complete. Then, it would really be sad if they were available and people like me ended up taking two game day spots on campus if I decided to show up early for a game-day tailgating experience (because my ramp location would still be reserved and pre-paid, plus I'd be paying a game-day fee to tailgate). Or, would they just leave tailgating lots within site of the stadium be 1/4-1/2 unused?

I don't think anyone knows what they'll do. Whatever they choose, they have to be careful not to PO the folks who ponied up extra cash or who bought preferred seats for the parking.

What I have suggested to the ticket office (and the athletics dept), and the only way fair to do it is to first offer those extra spots to people that are currently in the lots. I will gladly buy one more spot.

What I have suggested to the ticket office (and the athletics dept), and the only way fair to do it is to first offer those extra spots to people that are currently in the lots. I will gladly buy one more spot.

Hmmmm...best idea I've heard suggested thus far.

When you say "gladly buy one more spot", are you also glad to pay an additional $1000/$2500 donation requirement as well? I would love at "ADD" a spot to my current one in SKI-U-MAH, but only if the current donation would count for both spots.

When you say "gladly buy one more spot", are you also glad to pay an additional $1000/$2500 donation requirement as well? I would love at "ADD" a spot to my current one in SKI-U-MAH, but only if the current donation would count for both spots.

I will gladly buy a spot, NO MORE DONATIONS.. lol.

I think they actually made the mistake of making the donation too high.

I think for $1000, you should get two spots.

We have two spots in our group right now.

I am sure next year they will fix this one way or another, but for the time being just offering the spots to the people in the lots is the most fair way around a PR headache.

I will gladly buy a spot, NO MORE DONATIONS.. lol.

I think they actually made the mistake of making the donation too high.

I think for $1000, you should get two spots.

We have two spots in our group right now.

I am sure next year they will fix this one way or another, but for the time being just offering the spots to the people in the lots is the most fair way around a PR headache.

Agreed. The nice thing about this is that it should make tailgating closer to the stadium slightly more accessible to more folks (not me though...I still won't pony up extra dough that can be spent on food/beer @ the tailgate :)).

If there are many left over spots, why not just charge $75-$100 per game and it's first come, first served?

If there are many left over spots, why not just charge $75-$100 per game and it's first come, first served?

I'd see it as a bad idea because you risk seriously pissing off the following people:
1) Season ticket holders who paid extra or bought donation seats simply to get into the better lots. Now folks paying significantly less per season (assuming they park there for all 7 games) are able to get the same benefits.
2) Season ticket holders who bought passes in Zone 3 or Zone 4. These folks could have waited and gotten better parking via the option you describe, albiet for much more money.
3) Everyone in these lots who has to put up with the Badger fans who snag a spot. Especially PO'd in this scenario would be the folks from #1.

I agree they missed the mark on these lots with requiring $1000 or $2500 donations to be able to purchase spots there. Now they run the risk of pissing off people who did pay those amounts, or going with half empty lots. I really, really, really wanted to tailgate within view of the stadium a time or two per season but I couldn't justify the expense thanks to all the times I have to arrive near kick off due to youth football games that are played Saturday mornings. Basically, I'm available to tailgate a couple times per year and if I do so, I don't want to do it away from the stadium. So, there isn't an option for people me.

Since I am in a ramp, I am thinking instead of tailgating I will arrive super early on the days I would have done so and do some bar hopping. There might be some good traditions in the making. Either way... it will be fun.

First, I miscounted on those tailgating spots left close to the stadium. The number is actually closer to 900. So, now that all the 'donation' seats are reserved (not counting hanging single seats), that is 900 premium tailgating parking spots that are just sitting out there. The donation applied to seats AND parking but now that the donation seats are all spoken for, that means someone would REALLY, REALLY, really want to tailgate to fork over an extra $1000 to $2500 just for the ability to tailgate and/or save themselves from an extra block of walking distance.

Arrrrg. If it had been a couple extra hundred bucks, I would have easily chipped in to have the option to tailgate. But, I'm assuming I am like many others... those donation fees were just too steep without the added benefit of getting premium seats in the stadium. 900 choice empty parking slots is a lot of open real estate on game day. I wonder what they will do about that?

Maybe our state government can step in and pass a law that requires the university to allow everyone the chance to tailgate within view of the stadium. Why should the people paying for those spots with donations get the extra benefit? :clap:

Kinding aside, no matter what price you assign those for gameday parking, WI or IA fans will buy them and tailgate with 20-30 people. I seriously am not paying the donation for zone 2 to be f-ing surrounded by those fans. I had enough of that in previous years!! :mad:

I am lucky enough to have been able to buy (2) $500 donation seats, thus getting the benefit of great seats, and tailgating across the street from the stadium. That's just how it is. For some reason, many skipped the lot that had enough donation to select them. There's no one stopping anyone from donating $1000 to get a spot.

Maybe our state government can step in and pass a law that requires the university to allow everyone the chance to tailgate within view of the stadium. Why should the people paying for those spots with donations get the extra benefit? :clap:

Kinding aside, no matter what price you assign those for gameday parking, WI or IA fans will buy them and tailgate with 20-30 people. I seriously am not paying the donation for zone 2 to be f-ing surrounded by those fans. I had enough of that in previous years!! :mad:

I am lucky enough to have been able to buy (2) $500 donation seats, thus getting the benefit of great seats, and tailgating across the street from the stadium. That's just how it is. For some reason, many skipped the lot that had enough donation to select them. There's no one stopping anyone from donating $1000 to get a spot.

While I think the U may have overestimated the # of spots needed somewhat, I can't help but think the bolded above had something to do with it. The U may try to convince folks with the donations who aren't in these lots to switch. Otherwise...I don't know. Not a lot of great options.

I talked to a friend last month who was dumbfounded when I told him his seat donations were ALSO good for the tailgating lots. I don't think that was clear to a lot of people. At first glance, I suppose a lot of people were like my friend who assumed it would require ANOTHER $1-2.5K beyond the seat donations to get that parking.

While I think the U may have overestimated the # of spots needed somewhat, I can't help but think the bolded above had something to do with it. The U may try to convince folks with the donations who aren't in these lots to switch. Otherwise...I don't know. Not a lot of great options.

Even if they switch, everyone's decision to get one spot or another was based on what was available.

You can't just make a lot blue open to the public, even if you move some people. Then the westbank people might get pissed.

But again, I think some of the $$$ problem could be solved by asking all the current blue/green people to buy more spots.

I might buy one just to set up in.

They should just offer these extra tailgate parking spaces to those who didn't opt for the donation seats. Base eligibility for the spots on their gopher points total rank and I'm sure you will sell them out in no time. Yes this would make some who donated angry but should these spots sit empty just so some who donated can feel better? Let the guy who has been going to the games for 50 years tailgate!

They should just offer these extra tailgate parking spaces to those who didn't opt for the donation seats. Base eligibility for the spots on their gopher points total rank and I'm sure you will sell them out in no time. Yes this would make some who donated angry but should these spots sit empty just so some who donated can feel better? Let the guy who has been going to the games for 50 years tailgate!

I understand the sentiment, but you don't want to PO those who paid extra. That is a cash cow they can't afford to upset.

. . . should these spots sit empty just so some who donated can feel better?

Actually, the answer is yes, since they have to try to get donations again next year and every year thereafter. Can't have the customers thinking they can just wait you out and then get the spaces without the donations.

I can see 25 empty spaces... but 900? Yikes.

They should definitely allow people in the lots already to expand the number of spaces they are using. This will minimize the amount of hand wringing amongst those who dished out the cash to be there in the first place. That or let it go empty and let people spread out. Selling day of game spots will only be more trouble than it is worth.

I wondered if they'd consolidate the paid spots into the closest lots and then sell the remaining lots on gameday first come first served for $40 a spot. Or sell them on gameday but forbid tailgating, so as not to PO the people whe are in the premium lots. I was really concerned that they'd reassign me. I am in Ski-U-Mah. I'm no longer concerned as there isn't enough room in any other lot to move us all. Hopefully, if they do any consolidation, they will only move 'whole' lots to other lots because a lot of people picked the lots they expect their buddies to be in.

Maybe they'll leave them empty and fix it next year?

What if they admitted they miscalculated on the pricing and as a result they are going to reduce the required donation amount in half. those that already paid would have the choice of getting a refund or leaving it as an extra donation for the year. then they would go back through the season ticket holders who did not select a parking spot with a mass mailing announcing the "new terms". First come first served. then if that doesn't fill them up, punt until next year and come out with a new plan....

I can see 25 empty spaces... but 900? Yikes.

I just went online and 900 number doesn't tell the full story. There are currently 906 total Zone 1/Zone 2 spots remaining. Here is the breakdown:
Ski-U-Mah: 46
Northstar: 147
33: 133
37: 254
C51:22
Univ Ave Ramp:304
TOTAL: 906

However, 304 of those spots are in the University Ave ramp and will not be noticed in the way a lot with 304 empty spots would be. Not trying to say 602 empty tailgating spots is a great #, but is 1/3rd better then 906. :)

I just had an idea of how the U could go about reducing the empty lot space.
1) Reduce the donation cost of parking in Zone 1/Zone 2. (I’d suggest to $2000/$500 or $2000/750). This one has me concerned b/c I'm not sure how you'd handle refunds.
2) Go through the Gopher Points list and identify all season ticket holders with enough donations to park in the repriced Zone 1 or Zone 2 who are not parking in a Z1/Z2 lot. Give them a chance to select a new spot in an available priority lot. Also offer extra spots to current Z1/Z2 parking pass holders whose donation levels qualify them for an extra spot in their lot. The order of the offers would be based on Gopher Points status.
3) If any spots remain after step 2, offer all season ticket holders with donations less then the Z2 minumum the chance to up their donations for a spot. For example, if Zone 2 now costs $500 a person with 4 $100 donation seats might pony up the extra $100 to park. Again, go in order of Gopher Points.
4) Finally, should any spots remain (which I doubt) start at the top of the Gopher Points list and give everyone another shot at donating for a spot. As some posters have mentioned, had the donation amount been lower they might have ponied up for a Zone 2 spot.
5) Should there still be spots left, let folks in the Z1/Z2 lots buy extra spots at no additional donation cost.
6) Not sure the best way to handle letting folks fill in the Zone 3/Zone 4 spots that might be opened up in this process.
Implementing this would not be easy, but it struck me as the fairest way to do things. I’m sure the U would lose some money on the deal, but perhaps not if you add in the new donation revenue they’d gain by selling these lots out. I think this idea makes some sense but I’m hoping you all can poke some holes in it or add new ideas.

I detest the idea of half empty lots near TCF so I will ultimately submit this idea (or a version updated with your help) to the U.

A 30% empty lot during a tailgate doesn't look empty. Tents go up, tables go out and chairs are set out. The fires are lit, beer starts to flow and the food spread out, with over-stimulated children running every which way and from the street you would scarcely know the difference.

The university should stick to its guns and stick to the parameters of the parking lot. Start with the biggest donors in the lots and allow each to add a spot in turn and fill it that way or leave well alone and learn for next year.

But hell, where is all the kool-aid this morning guys?

We are going to Pasadena or at least a New Years Day Bowl this year and next year this won't be a problem as thousands will be reaching for their check books and the lots will be full along with the Gopher Bandwagon!:drink::drink:
I lived in the greater Madison era circa The Second Year Of Alvarez and let me tell ya the ticket offices job will get a lot easier if this program clicks.

I think the problem is two-fold:

1) Miscommunication. As it was mentioned earlier... there is a BIG disconnect among many people who paid $100-$500 per seat donations for the good seats in the stadium. I believe many of them are probably like my neighbor who thought they'd have to pony up AGAIN for the tailgating spots. They don't realize that if they have 4 seats with $250 donation fees each, they automatically meet the donation fee for one of the $1K tailgating lots near the stadium. So, they are in a nearby ramp instead.

2) Overpriced. For anyone willing to pay MORE for the ability to tailgate but not located in the donation seats within TCF... it is just too expensive to pay that much more just to procure a tailgating spot.

I think the U has overall done a good job of communicating the complicated task of moving season ticket holders from the Metrodome to TCF and they have backed that up with a good on-line tool for the masses to use. Although it was good overall, they missed the mark in making it clear the donations apply to the seats and the parking AT THE SAME TIME. The result is a lot of open tailgating parking.

2) Go through the Gopher Points list and identify all season ticket holders with enough donations to park in the repriced Zone 1 or Zone 2 who are not parking in a Z1/Z2 lot. Give them a chance to select a new spot in an available priority lot. Also offer extra spots to current Z1/Z2 parking pass holders whose donation levels qualify them for an extra spot in their lot. The order of the offers would be based on Gopher Points status.
3) If any spots remain after step 2, offer all season ticket holders with donations less then the Z2 minumum the chance to up their donations for a spot. For example, if Zone 2 now costs $500 a person with 4 $100 donation seats might pony up the extra $100 to park. Again, go in order of Gopher Points.
4) Finally, should any spots remain (which I doubt) start at the top of the Gopher Points list and give everyone another shot at donating for a spot. As some posters have mentioned, had the donation amount been lower they might have ponied up for a Zone 2 spot.

I detest the idea of half empty lots near TCF so I will ultimately submit this idea (or a version updated with your help) to the U.

I would bet they do these steps. Seems logical. I thought they would actually go fast, and was worried that I would not get a blue at the start. The tailgating lot next to TCF was definitely the main reason I got preferred tickets.

Here is what I'd like to see:

For 2009:
1. Ask anyone in the ramps who qualifies if they would like to get a tailgate spot. Per an earlier post there was miscommunication as some thought the required donation was in addition to what they already paid for premium seats.
2. Ask anyone in the lots that would qualify but for the limitation of one spot per four tickets if they want a second spot. So, people who donated $2k for four $500 seats get a shot at a second spot. Indicate to them that the second spot is only for this year.
3. Ask anyone else already in the lot if they want a second spot. Indicate that the second spot is only for this year.
4. Leave any remaining spots empty.

For 2010:
1. Return to the minimum of one spot per four seats
2. Respect seniority (i.e. if you had a spot in a lot last year you can keep it if you meet the minimum)
3. Relax the $1000 minimum to $500 for the tier 2 lots. This will allow in all those people with a pair of $250 seats. This should sell them out.

Here is what I'd like to see:

For 2009:
1. Ask anyone in the ramps who qualifies if they would like to get a tailgate spot. Per an earlier post there was miscommunication as some thought the required donation was in addition to what they already paid for premium seats.

This can be done now if people know to call. We moved lots after our selection was finalized because we had a change of heart as to which premium lot we wanted to be in. I can not see the ticket office not agreeing to move you if you qualify for a premium parking spot.

I think the problem is two-fold:

1) Miscommunication. As it was mentioned earlier... there is a BIG disconnect among many people who paid $100-$500 per seat donations for the good seats in the stadium. I believe many of them are probably like my neighbor who thought they'd have to pony up AGAIN for the tailgating spots. They don't realize that if they have 4 seats with $250 donation fees each, they automatically meet the donation fee for one of the $1K tailgating lots near the stadium. So, they are in a nearby ramp instead.

2) Overpriced. For anyone willing to pay MORE for the ability to tailgate but not located in the donation seats within TCF... it is just too expensive to pay that much more just to procure a tailgating spot.

I think the U has overall done a good job of communicating the complicated task of moving season ticket holders from the Metrodome to TCF and they have backed that up with a good on-line tool for the masses to use. Although it was good overall, they missed the mark in making it clear the donations apply to the seats and the parking AT THE SAME TIME. The result is a lot of open tailgating parking.

I'll have to disagree a bit on the first one. I think it's more a matter of reading comprehension. The brochure the U sent out clearly stated the following:

Annual giving levels are determined by gifts to the Athletics Department during the calendar year (deadline for parking benefit donations is June 30, 2009) and include any of the following areas:

* Preferred seating donations (including football, men's and women's basketball and men's hockey)
* Gifts to the Golden Gopher Fund
* Athletic scholarship endowment gifts
* Pledge payments or outright gifts toward TCF Bank Stadium

I once took a technical writing class, and I remember the prof saying that you can write the best manual in the world, and people still won't get it. Some people just fail at paying attention to detail.

Top Bottom