Parker Fox

Maybe surgical techniques have really advanced in the last ten years.
Recovery time depends a LOT on what type of ACL surgery you use: harvesting your own hamstring to use as your new ACL or getting one from a cadaver. The former will have a much longer rehab time and will ultimately last longer; the latter is much easier but there's an increased long-term risk of failure. I chose the former for my ACL and it took me at least a year before I forgot about the injury - running was okay after about 7 months (I did a marathon at 10 months post-surgery), but for skiing it was a good 12 months before I was back to hitting moguls and even a bit longer before I was comfortable riding switch or doing rails.

Recovery time depends a LOT on what type of ACL surgery you use: harvesting your own hamstring to use as your new ACL or getting one from a cadaver. The former will have a much longer rehab time and will ultimately last longer; the latter is much easier but there's an increased long-term risk of failure. I chose the former for my ACL and it took me at least a year before I forgot about the injury - running was okay after about 7 months (I did a marathon at 10 months post-surgery), but for skiing it was a good 12 months before I was back to hitting moguls and even a bit longer before I was comfortable riding switch or doing rails.
PRP and stem cells can really speed up recovery time

I've read that surgeons also take part of the patella tendon to reconstruct the ACL.

I've read that surgeons also take part of the patella tendon to reconstruct the ACL.
jamiche, your reading is correct. I'm not a doctor, but many refer to an ACL autograft (using your own patellar tendon) as "the gold standard". Part of why it gains this title is because tendons have superior kinetic properties and this surgery provides a new ACL that has bone on both ends of the tendon from day 1. On the down side, obtaining bone on both ends from your own body means it's a bit more invasive than using cadaver parts. When an ACL autograft is harvested from a patient's own patellar tendon a piece of bone is taken from the face of the patella at the top of the patellar tendon, a strip is cut from the center of the patellar tendon, and at the bottom of the patellar tendon a piece of bone is taken from the attachment point at the tibia. In particular, the patella is rather sensitive after this procedure and doing things like kneeling or falling on the face of the patella aren't possible without pain or damaging the patella for several months afterward. Don't believe me, read about Jerry Rice's ACL autograft - he came back too fast and broke his patella.

I think Parker's decision to sit a year is brilliant. I made the mistake of returning to playing soccer 5 months after my ACL autograft surgery and immediately tore it again. Really, about a year post-surgery is when a competitive athlete might want to start playing at a high level again and I'd say 2 years out you feel like you're back to your normal self (or pretty close to it) - before then, the swelling prevents the knee from reacting and working as it did pre-injury. I've also done the tibialis anterior graft (from a cadaver), which IMO has a faster recovery period (maybe as fast as 6 months), but I'd be really surprised if the U of M's team physicians/surgeons offered a cadaver graft over an ACL autograft. My point: different types of ACL surgeries have different recovery times.

He isn’t coming back this year.

Source: his Dad at William’s Arena during the Texas A&M-CC game.
Assuming this info is reliable - that would certainly make a lot of sense.

Wait till he is fully recovered and also have him for a couple seasons hopefully during a time when the team will be better setup to compete.

In spite of the really nice start, the overall prospects for this season still aren't great for much more than a middle of the pack finish.

Wait till he is fully recovered and also have him for a couple seasons hopefully during a time when the team will be better setup to compete.

In spite of the really nice start, the overall prospects for this season still aren't great for much more than a middle of the pack finish.
I still couldn’t care less where we land this year. I am simply grateful to see an offense that moves the ball and gets good looks. We are not athletically gifted, but these kids have a high basketball IQ and I love it.

Middle of the pack in the Big 10!!! Ah yes, expectations are indeed moving up.....
Based on how this team has played to date a middle of the pack Big Ten finish seems possible, it isn't an expectation it is just the reality of the fact that this team has shown an ability to compete far better than it looked like they would be able to heading into the season.

Battle could go down with an injury tomorrow and the outlook for the rest of the season would change again.

I still couldn’t care less where we land this year. I am simply grateful to see an offense that moves the ball and gets good looks. We are not athletically gifted, but these kids have a high basketball IQ and I love it.
Not sure about the comment not athletically gifted. We shoot the ball well, play good defense, just about all the starters can take it to the hole. The only thing I see missing is a little more bench depth and another decent big in the middle.

Last edited:

I think a lot of it depends on when he is realistically ready. Don't want to rush anything and end up doing more damage. My thoughts are that whenever he is ready to return to the court....that him and Ben Johnson will discuss it. Don't want to burn a year of eligibility in order to play a handful of games this year. However....if he's ready in early January....and wants to play....you get him in. We aren't going to compete for a Big Ten title this year.....but we do have a roster that quite a few seniors. If we are in contention for the NCAA Tournament....like we are currently....you want to put your best team on the court. Holding him out when he's ready would send an awfully bad sign to the guys on the team.

Again....if Parker prefers to maintain his year of eligibility....that is 100% his decision. But I'd be surprised if Ben Johnson tried to get him to hold out this year if a tournament appearance is possible.

I agree it makes sense for Fox to play 2 full seasons. I’d do the same / encourage him to do that.
I do however think next year will likely feel more like a year 1, unless they retool again with multiple transfers. They really could use a guard or 2 from the portal for sure, and that seems more than doable. Especially if they continue with their success this year.
Next years team is going to be so young. Battle is the only guy getting meaningful minutes that will be back next year.
Who am I to say though. They’ve clearly exceeded expectations this year. Maybe next year too.

Last edited:

I agree it makes sense for Fox to play 2 full seasons. I’d do the same / encourage him to do that.
I do however think next year will likely feel more like a year 1, unless they retool again with multiple transfers.
Next years team is going to be so young. Battle is the only guy getting meaningful minutes that will be back next year.
Who am I to say though. They’ve clearly exceeded expectations this year. Maybe next year too.
My take is that BJ will bring in 2-3 transfers. Probably a PG, C and SG. Take the pressure of the young ones. Ihnen and Fox should be ready along with Battle so our forward positions will be in good shape. Too bad one of them can't stretch a couple of inches to fill the C spot.

jamiche, your reading is correct. I'm not a doctor, but many refer to an ACL autograft (using your own patellar tendon) as "the gold standard". Part of why it gains this title is because tendons have superior kinetic properties and this surgery provides a new ACL that has bone on both ends of the tendon from day 1. On the down side, obtaining bone on both ends from your own body means it's a bit more invasive than using cadaver parts. When an ACL autograft is harvested from a patient's own patellar tendon a piece of bone is taken from the face of the patella at the top of the patellar tendon, a strip is cut from the center of the patellar tendon, and at the bottom of the patellar tendon a piece of bone is taken from the attachment point at the tibia. In particular, the patella is rather sensitive after this procedure and doing things like kneeling or falling on the face of the patella aren't possible without pain or damaging the patella for several months afterward. Don't believe me, read about Jerry Rice's ACL autograft - he came back too fast and broke his patella.

I think Parker's decision to sit a year is brilliant. I made the mistake of returning to playing soccer 5 months after my ACL autograft surgery and immediately tore it again. Really, about a year post-surgery is when a competitive athlete might want to start playing at a high level again and I'd say 2 years out you feel like you're back to your normal self (or pretty close to it) - before then, the swelling prevents the knee from reacting and working as it did pre-injury. I've also done the tibialis anterior graft (from a cadaver), which IMO has a faster recovery period (maybe as fast as 6 months), but I'd be really surprised if the U of M's team physicians/surgeons offered a cadaver graft over an ACL autograft. My point: different types of ACL surgeries have different recovery times.

Not sure what version of the ACL surgery Adrian Peterson had, but that is the one I want to have when I blow one out! That guy came back better than ever the next year.

Based on how this team has played to date a middle of the pack Big Ten finish seems possible, it isn't an expectation it is just the reality of the fact that this team has shown an ability to compete far better than it looked like they would be able to heading into the season.

Battle could go down with an injury tomorrow and the outlook for the rest of the season would change again.
Middle of the pack = NCAA ..........your tune has changed.

Middle of the pack = NCAA ..........your tune has changed.
Are you trying to imply that impressions of a team can't change over the course of a season?

We had no clue what to expect heading into the season but on paper it looked like it was going to be brutal.

Clearly it hasn't been and the team has played really well. Not really sure what point you are trying to prove, but I have no doubt you will keep throwing jabs trying to make it. No matter what happens over the remainder of the season this year has been a success for Johnson and this rag tag, shorthanded, collection of players from lower divisions. And it has given a lot of fans a new perspective on what Johnson may be capable of as a coach and talent evaluator.

Are you trying to imply that impressions of a team can't change over the course of a season?

We had no clue what to expect heading into the season but on paper it looked like it was going to be brutal.

Clearly it hasn't been and the team has played really well. Not really sure what point you are trying to prove, but I have no doubt you will keep throwing jabs trying to make it. No matter what happens over the remainder of the season this year has been a success for Johnson and this rag tag, shorthanded, collection of players from lower divisions. And it has given a lot of fans a new perspective on what Johnson may be capable of as a coach and talent evaluator.

Your tune has changed, significantly.

Games are played to determine a winner. Seasons are played to determine a Champion. Wins matter.

Games are played to determine a winner. Seasons are played to determine a Champion. Wins matter.

Everyone's tune has changed about this team based on how they have played to this point.

Still doesn't mean the record is the most important thing this year. But hey, if it makes you feel better, you win, you got me, I admit it, my take on this team has changed from day 1 to today. Congrats on proving your point, whatever that point was.....

I didn't know that grafting part of the patella tendon involved taking part of the patella. Personally, I wouldn't go near that surgery if it increases the risk of a patella fracture. I fractured my patella four months ago into several pieces and the trauma surgeon had to wire it back together and reattach the tendon. My goal is to be able to run again and the PT is an absolute grind. The surgeon told me after the surgery that I wasn't going to run again. Now she says I might be able to run by spring. That's just putting one foot in front of the other, not playing MSU at Williams.

I know the ACL is a very different injury and Fox is probably in his early twenties, but I can't imagine being able to play competitive D1 ball at a high level much inside of a year post surgery.

Everyone's tune has changed about this team based on how they have played to this point.

Still doesn't mean the record is the most important thing this year. But hey, if it makes you feel better, you win, you got me, I admit it, my take on this team has changed from day 1 to today. Congrats on proving your point, whatever that point was.....
The point, all along (and you know this), is that wins are what matters. Conference titles are what matters. NCAA Championships are what matter.

The record is the most important thing. Every year.
What is the reason each season's performance is documented by the team's record, if the wins and losses are not the most important thing?

And yes, your tune has changed with each and every win. And yes, you want the wins to pile up and the team to make the NCAA.

I know exactly what you mean. I had major knee surgery three months ago. I'm not an athlete, just a guy who wants to be able to run again. I had a great surgeon and I have an excellent PT. The rehab is a grind but my progress has been ahead of schedule and measurable week to week. Last week I tweeked my knee by being too aggressive and now I don't want to do anything until the surgeon can work me in and tell me I'm going to be ok--or I was an idiot by doing too much and reinjuring it. My knee is now in my brain. I don't trust it, which is the real setback. I'm hoping that my brain is a bigger problem than my knee at this point.
Most likely you irritated it and there is some inflamation of the surrounding tissue. The scar tissue will be stronger than the original knee, but not as flexible - at least that is what i was told. Harder to reinjure, but easier to irritate.

Ease it back. Ice and ibuprofen to get the inflammation down. It will probably do that for another 3 to 6 months if you overdo things. It is just your body telling you to downshift a gear.

The point, all along (and you know this), is that wins are what matters. Conference titles are what matters. NCAA Championships are what matter.

The record is the most important thing. Every year.
What is the reason each season's performance is documented by the team's record, if the wins and losses are not the most important thing?

And yes, your tune has changed with each and every win. And yes, you want the wins to pile up and the team to make the NCAA.
*sigh*....I have never once.....at any point....said or implied that I didn't WANT the team to win....not ever....so whatever point you think you are proving, you aren't. Every fan wants the team to do well every season (and you know this).

I had zero expectations for this team heading into the season. I just hoped they would be competitive and we would get a sense for the kind of basketball Johnson was going to have his teams play going forward. I still have zero expectations for this team, but if they keep on winning and find a way to make the tournament that will be awesome. If the wheels come off and they fall short so be it, I plan to enjoy the ride, wherever it leads.

My guess/hope is that you get that there is more to it than wins/losses but maybe you don't.

Most likely you irritated it and there is some inflamation of the surrounding tissue. The scar tissue will be stronger than the original knee, but not as flexible - at least that is what i was told. Harder to reinjure, but easier to irritate.

Ease it back. Ice and ibuprofen to get the inflammation down. It will probably do that for another 3 to 6 months if you overdo things. It is just your body telling you to downshift a gear.
That's pretty much what the surgeon told me when I saw her last week. She said the knee is secure and the wiring hasn't moved. I basically irritated it and my knee told me to cut that shit out. So I have.

I'm back to PT, but not overdoing it.

Top Bottom