PA Guy

LloydChristmas

Section 135
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the PA guy referencing Travis Demarius on a special teams tackle, and Jacque Eric on a tackle later in the game?

I like the job he does, but is this the start of Dave Lee syndrome?

Inexcusable to do this to our own players.

He had a different spotter than usual this week up there. It is almost impossible to see the numbers from where he is, so he relies on his spotter almost exclusively.

I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.

Newsflash, he sucks. Also, what is the problem with getting replays on the scoreboard? Constant shots of the huddle, and "M" logo bouncing around and flipping over. And for big plays, it's ok to show a replay more than once. Everything else is outstanding.

Newsflash, he sucks. Also, what is the problem with getting replays on the scoreboard? Constant shots of the huddle, and "M" logo bouncing around and flipping over. And for big plays, it's ok to show a replay more than once. Everything else is outstanding.

Newsflash, you sound like a prick in your post and, newsflash, as you know from the countless debates on this board, many of us strongly disagree.

The replays are way better than last year already...

Newsflash, you sound like a prick in your post and, newsflash, as you know from the countless debates on this board, many of us strongly disagree.

Of course there are those who disagree. mostly they are hockey fans. Anyone old enough to remember Julius Perlt does not like Michael Buffer wannabe guy.

Anyone old enough to remember Julius Perlt does not like Michael Buffer wannabe guy.

With that logic, we should remove the video boards because the blue hairs didn't have video when they were kids. And pipe in the Dean Martin and Perry Como in-between the third and fourth quarters.

With that logic, we should remove the video boards because the blue hairs didn't have video when they were kids. And pipe in the Dean Martin and Perry Como in-between the third and fourth quarters.

You must have studied logic in Iowa or Wisconsin.

News flash: This made me laugh!

That wasnt very nice.

You're right, maybe I was too testy. But I've seen a thread complaining about the PA guy every year since The Bank opened. It's easy to say someone "sucks" as a PA guy, but it's a personal preference thing. I, for one, don't like the Twins PA guy. Yet, I've never started threads in any forum complaining about him because he's technically fine. His voice and intonation just annoy me personally.

I'm surprised this hasn't yet spawned an argument over the "Rah!" at the end of the rouser. There always seems to be one person that feels it has never been said at the end of the rouser prior to :insert current date: and a small minority of others join in to share their disgust.

I'm surprised this hasn't yet spawned an argument over the "Rah!" at the end of the rouser. There always seems to be one person that feels it has never been said at the end of the rouser prior to :insert current date: and a small minority of others join in to share their disgust.

I was wondering the same about him leading the first down cheer. We do find some ridiculous things to argue about, don't we?

For the record and just to get this out of the way: I'm pro-PA guy, pro-Rah, pro-First Down Cheer, and pro-key jingling. I'm also on board with any way to use Ski-U-Mah in a coordinated fashion. In fact, I actually like pretty much everything about Gopher football with the exception of selling the naming rights to the red zone and most of our on field performances the last couple years.

tumblr_m9jks2RNeI1r6h64yo1_500.jpg

I hate when the band plays Glenn Miller.

Tailgating before the game on Saturay, I saw a guy put ketchup on his hot dog. I F'n hate that. By the way, what kind of jerk spells ketchup like "catsup"?

You're right, maybe I was too testy. But I've seen a thread complaining about the PA guy every year since The Bank opened. It's easy to say someone "sucks" as a PA guy, but it's a personal preference thing. I, for one, don't like the Twins PA guy. Yet, I've never started threads in any forum complaining about him because he's technically fine. His voice and intonation just annoy me personally.

Maybe that's a signal that the PA guy sucks. The reason you haven't heard any complaining about the first down chant is because he hasn't had a chance to intone "and that's ANOTHER gOLLLLLDEEN NNNNN GOOOOOFPHHHERRRRR!!!!" while we are getting slaughtered by a Dakota or NM St. That was the main complaint. It is cheesy, but since everyone loves it, I can take it if it is used appropriately.

As far as I can tell, for the rest of his job, people either tolerate him or dislike him strongly. I don't see why he can't be replaced. Hockey fans love him, that's great. Stay with that.

I can't stand the guy when I'm there in person.

FWIW, This Sat I was watching on TV and the atmosphere sounds sooooooo much better when they just let the crowd get into it. For instance, in the first quarter, they played some music over the loudspeakers before Syracuse 3rd downs and it sounded as if the Bank was empty. Later in the game, they seemed to let the band / students do the work and it sounded much much louder and more authentic.

Maybe that's a signal that the PA guy sucks. The reason you haven't heard any complaining about the first down chant is because he hasn't had a chance to intone "and that's ANOTHER gOLLLLLDEEN NNNNN GOOOOOFPHHHERRRRR!!!!" while we are getting slaughtered by a Dakota or NM St. That was the main complaint. It is cheesy, but since everyone loves it, I can take it if it is used appropriately.

As far as I can tell, for the rest of his job, people either tolerate him or dislike him strongly. I don't see why he can't be replaced. Hockey fans love him, that's great. Stay with that.

Yes, a vocal minority complaining loudly every season is the same thing as everyone thinking he sucks. /hurdurrr

I can't stand the guy when I'm there in person.

FWIW, This Sat I was watching on TV and the atmosphere sounds sooooooo much better when they just let the crowd get into it. For instance, in the first quarter, they played some music over the loudspeakers before Syracuse 3rd downs and it sounded as if the Bank was empty. Later in the game, they seemed to let the band / students do the work and it sounded much much louder and more authentic.

I was there. Trust me. It never sounded empty. Amazing atmosphere and excellent job by announcer, stadium staff, band, students, and me. :). A good time was had by all.

I must have missed it...why are we against hockey fans in Minnesota now??

All you have to do is see who the main complainant is in this thread and then spend 5 minutes perusing the off-topic board and you will learn all you need to learn about this argument.

All you have to do is see who the main complainant is in this thread and then spend 5 minutes perusing the off-topic board and you will learn all you need to learn about this argument.
What does the pa guy have to do with free market economics?

For the record and just to get this out of the way: I'm pro-PA guy, pro-Rah, pro-First Down Cheer, and pro-key jingling. I'm also on board with any way to use Ski-U-Mah in a coordinated fashion. In fact, I actually like pretty much everything about Gopher football with the exception of selling the naming rights to the red zone and most of our on field performances the last couple years.

+1. I do the Rah at the end of the Rouser. I'm trying the SKI-U-MAH after kickoffs. I'm in favor of almost anything that gets the fans more into it.

I think Jamie does a great job! I little over the top at times but you can't deny his passion for Gopher athletics. Keep up the great work Jamie!!

Top Bottom