Over/Under on the announcement?

Of course, agents will talk to ADs all the time. But, coaches will not do much until the job is open. It burned Teague. Coyle will likely make the announcement soon, so he can go to work.
They talk. You just don't know it because you're not involved. Coaches are very well known for being sanctimonious until they aren't.

I still have the belief that given the pandemic caused financial hit to not only the AD had but the whole university that firing Pitino and hiring a new coach is not a certainty.

Barry Alvarez fired the Wisconsin women's coach minutes after they lost on Tuesday. There is decisive action for you!

Coyle could have done it yesterday. I'm going with 10 AM on Monday. He'll be doing his daily run with the new coach by the end of next week.

I'd be a little shocked if any announcement came before sometime after the A.D. and Pitino have a meeting on Monday morning.

I'd be a little shocked if any announcement came before sometime after the A.D. and Pitino have a meeting on Monday morning.

Yes, I think that is the key event that probably needs to happen first. Considering the team played in Indy on Thursday and maybe travels back on Friday, I would think that Coyle would hold that meeting on Monday and have a press conference or press release soon after.

I still have the belief that given the pandemic caused financial hit to not only the AD had but the whole university that firing Pitino and hiring a new coach is not a certainty.

It's a done deal.

They talk. You just don't know it because you're not involved. Coaches are very well known for being sanctimonious until they aren't.

Of course they talk and flirt and gauge interest. But, I'm talking about interviews and serious negotiations to hammer out a deal. Most will not do that until the job is open. And, in this case, Mark will likely want to do 3-4 serious job interviews of the candidates. He won't do that until after he lets Richard go.

There will likely be an interim Gopher head coach for a week or two or more while all of that happens.

Last edited:

This is just not something you wait on. Not for the coach or AD. I’d be surprised if it was not today.

there will be outrage over the finances by some people, but those people are always angry and usually post coaches should only be paid what the lowest professor is paid....so I don't worry much about those people

I thought it would be today, but thinking about it more, there are benefits to waiting until Monday. One, it might get lost a little bit in the news of Selection Sunday. Two, the local news would get less attention when they cry about the $1.75 million buyout on a Tuesday/Wednesday instead of Saturday/Sunday. Three, the coaching search would officially last 3 fewer days so it looks like a more efficient, professional search. The department got a lot of crap for the prolonged (9 day?) search that resulted in Pitino’s hiring.

I thought it would be today, but thinking about it more, there are benefits to waiting until Monday. One, it might get lost a little bit in the news of Selection Sunday. Two, the local news would get less attention when they cry about the $1.75 million buyout on a Tuesday/Wednesday instead of Saturday/Sunday. Three, the coaching search would officially last 3 fewer days so it looks like a more efficient, professional search. The department got a lot of crap for the prolonged (9 day?) search that resulted in Pitino’s hiring.

I think one of the biggest reasons about waiting until next week was mentioned above: it would be bad form for the AD to make an announcement without having a meeting with Pitino first. Although that could have been done today I guess, letting that go until Monday probably is better.

I don't think the news getting lost because of other events is a negative. I think that would be desirable because the last thing the administration would want is a lot of media questions about this. I think either way (today or Monday), this news will seem less significant in the sports world than other current events.

I thought it would be today, but thinking about it more, there are benefits to waiting until Monday. One, it might get lost a little bit in the news of Selection Sunday. Two, the local news would get less attention when they cry about the $1.75 million buyout on a Tuesday/Wednesday instead of Saturday/Sunday.

Traditionally, the time to announce bad news is Friday. It is called a "Friday news dump" for a reason. If it is a real Friday news dump, they will wait until late afternoon/early evening so it misses the 6pm TV news.

Quite honestly, with the ongoing jury selection drama, the MSP city council approving a $27 million George Floyd settlement today, and the governor announcing on live TV that he will lessen statewide health restrictions, this afternoon would make total sense to announce the move. It would totally get lost in the shuffle.

that could have been done today I guess, letting that go until Monday probably is better.

I think leaving a coach in purgatory for an entire weekend when you know you're going to fire him is not better. But, there could be other reasons for waiting.

Last edited:

Going to have to wait until Sunday night, teams are dropping like flies with COVID now, we might backdoor a spot 🤣

There were three forfeits so far today. Virginia forfeited to GA Tech, Kansas forfeited to Texas, and NC A&T forfeited to Norfolk State.

Traditionally, the time to announce bad news is Friday. It is called a "Friday news dump" for a reason. If it is a real Friday news dump, they will wait until late afternoon/early evening so it misses the 6pm TV news.

Quite honestly, with the ongoing jury selection drama, the MSP city council approving a $27 million George Floyd settlement today, and the governor announcing on live TV that he will lessen statewide health restrictions, this afternoon would make total sense to announce the move. It would totally get lost in the shuffle.

I think leaving a coach in purgatory for an entire weekend when you know you're going to fire him is not better. But, there could be other reasons for waiting.
It likely has more to do with discussions and negotiations of things. Contracts are contracts, but both parties can usually come to a mutual agreement on something for separation.

Richard gets to enjoy the weekend.
Sounds better if Richard lands a job elsewhere prior to being let go.
Coyle can't interview his guy until next weekend probably anyway.

I'm wrong a lot.

How is there no leak on social media or local scoop on the dismissal?...The radio silence is weird.

What are you talking about some WCCO talk show host named Henry lake reported Pitino already got told weeks ago
Yes I am well aware..I'm talking about last night or today....There has to be some new information available

Nearly 4 o'clock and no announcement.
Rumor has it Coyle and Pitino are working on a contract extension...
Some seriousness to this and I know its a joke. If Pitino is allowed to come back next year, I would think that the recruits are going to wonder if he'll be fired a year from now if they don't have a good year. Not a good thing.

Monday noon Pitino will officially be let go. He'll clean out his locker etc., on Sunday.

The Monday choice seems logical to me.
I disagree about when we have a new coach though. How we gonna have a new coach before his team loses in the NCAA tournament?
Unless, he isn’t coaching anywhere and those guys don’t seem like the best choices?
Also, coaches talk...no coach wants the rep of talking to an AD about another guys job if he hasn’t been fired. That would not play well in the fraternity.
It’s 2021 and Twitter is king on sports dirt. There are no secrets.

Top Bottom