Over/Under on the announcement?

I’m not sure. May wait to finalize deal with another coach and see if Pitino has soft landing spot lined up. May be a mutual understanding so parties can look and act prepared instead of an embarrassing coaching search like Woody had when hiring Pitino.

I’m not sure. May wait to finalize deal with another coach and see if Pitino has soft landing spot lined up. May be a mutual understanding so parties can look and act prepared instead of an embarrassing coaching search like Woody had when hiring Pitino.

The longer they sit on it before firing, the worse it will look publicly. Letting the coach sit there in purgatory (even with a mutual understanding) looks terrible. If Coyle is going to do it, do it. No one will criticize the firing, so what's to gain by waiting?

The longer they sit on it before firing, the worse it will look publicly. Letting the coach sit there in purgatory (even with a mutual understanding) looks terrible. If Coyle is going to do it, do it. No one will criticize the firing, so what's to gain by waiting?
I didn’t say I would wait. It may be three days. It may be a week. It may be tomorrow. I’m just throwing out options man.
I think he’ll be fired before the NCAA tourney starts. If waiting saves $500k or $1 million? I think it is silly to not wait.

I didn’t say I would wait. It may be three days. It may be a week. It may be tomorrow. I’m just throwing out options man.
I think he’ll be fired before the NCAA tourney starts. If waiting saves $500k or $1 million? I think it is silly to not wait.

First, it makes you look wishy washy. Second, and more importantly, many prospective coaches will not talk to you (and definitely won't negotiate with you) if you have a sitting head coach. For Coyle to really get to a real search, he has to have a real opening. It should happen soon.

First, it makes you look wishy washy. Second, and more importantly, many prospective coaches will not talk to you (and definitely won't negotiate with you) if you have a sitting head coach. For Coyle to really get to a real search, he has to have a real opening. It should happen soon.
Sorry, agents always are willing to talk.

You’re wrong. Plenty of coaches and agents will talk while you have a sitting head coach. A deal will be all but finalized before Pitino is officially fired. If he is fired tomorrow, a coach better have agreed to a contract or else you’re pulling a Teague.

Anyone know who asked this to Curry? What would they expect him to say?

It will be announced Friday morning I expect.

You’re wrong. Plenty of coaches and agents will talk while you have a sitting head coach. A deal will be all but finalized before Pitino is officially fired. If he is fired tomorrow, a coach better have agreed to a contract or else you’re pulling a Teague.

In some cases, you're 100% correct. In many men's college basketball searches, you are not 100%. Especially at tourney time. This actually hurt Teague, as a small number of coaches were turned off that he reached out weeks before the job officially opened. Coaches stick together. They will have an agent show interest, but they rarely officially interview until the job is open.

If he is fired tomorrow, a coach better have agreed to a contract or else you’re pulling a Teague.

That is just untrue. In basketball, it almost never happens that way. Occasionally, maybe. Plenty of coaches will be fired in the next week. Real jobs open and interested coaches then choose to enter the official fray. Many ADs who have done the firing will be conducting legitimate interviews in the weeks that follow with an idea of whom they like, but certainly nothing finalized. Coyle is almost positively in that boat.

Last edited:

Sorry, agents always are willing to talk.

Of course, agents will talk to ADs all the time. But, coaches will not do much until the job is open. It burned Teague. Coyle will likely make the announcement soon, so he can go to work.

The Gophers hoopsters are slightly less boobish than the wolves. They are equally terrible, but the m.o.is a little better in dinkytown. They won’t have a coach in the ready. They will fire Pitino at 9 am. Then they will have a task force, committee and advisory board search for the best qualified and mostly underepresented person to run the team. We will get a coach long after everyone else and it will be Jim Dutchers kid.

Gotta think there is some unwritten rule among B1G ADs to wait until the end of the tourney.

I'm going noon, next Monday.

Gotta think there is some unwritten rule among B1G ADs to wait until the end of the tourney.

A quick search shows it has happened somewhat frequently:

Eddie Jordan firing announced by Rutgers on Thursday of Big Ten Tourney.
Bruce Weber firing announced by Illinois on Friday of Big Ten Tourney.
Doc Sadler firing announced by Nebraska on Friday of Big Ten Tourney.
Jon Groce firing announced by Illinois on Saturday of Big Ten Tourney.
Bill Carmody firing announced by Northwestern on Saturday of Big Ten Tourney.
Tommy Amaker firing announced by Michigan on Saturday of Big Ten Tourney

Not later than Monday.

im hoping sometime today.
but no later than Monday.

I agree with those who say Monday. However, after seeing tjgopher's history of the timing of prior firing announcements in the Big Ten (Well done!), I'm less confident of that. I do remember that Iowa announced the firing of Todd Lickliter on Monday following the Big Ten tournament.

Top Bottom