Over/Under on the announcement?

Remarkable difference in programs, huh!

After 4 years, Indiana says "We've seen enough! Take your $10 million and get out of here."

After 8 years, Minnesota is still trying to finesse a departure with a buyout that is less than 1/5th of that.
One is committed to excellence while the other is committed to not hurting someone's feelings

What did Indiana just do? Wait four days to fire its coach? Pathetic in your eyes, I'm sure. Looks like Minnesota waited four days, maybe five. What is the big difference?

Jesus man, calm down. Your continued hatred for Pitino is not healthy.
The big difference is that Indiana gave Miller less time than Pitino and paid him 10 million to leave

The big difference is that Indiana gave Miller less time than Pitino and paid him 10 million to leave

Sure, and Miller inherited a team two years removed from a Big Ten title in a basketball rich state with awesome tradition and missed the tourney all four years.

Pitino inherited a middling program and made the tourney after year four. So, they weren't going to fire him then.

Sure, and Miller inherited a team two years removed from a Big Ten title in a basketball rich state with awesome tradition and missed the tourney all four years.

Pitino inherited a middling program and made the tourney after year four. So, they weren't going to fire him then.
Great....How bout the next four years where Pitino continued to finish at the bottom of the B10 and was a recruiting disaster.

Great....How bout the next four years where Pitino continued to finish at the bottom of the B10 and was a recruiting disaster.

Except in 2019 when he won a game in the tourney. Gonna fire him then?

Look, just relax. You're getting a new coach. Don't let the old coach continue to terrorize you.

$1.75 million isn't peanuts when athletic departments all over are struggling due to the pandemic. Pitino has a pretty good chance at the New Mexico job since the AD there played under Billy Donovan. If he doesn't get the job Coyle will probably get rid of him anyways, so why not wait a couple days and possibly save $1.75 million? It will be looked at as a shrewd move if it happens.
He was just let go and is not the head coach at New Mexico so....

He was just let go and is not the head coach at New Mexico so....
Nothing official from the U yet though. Just reporters saying “expected”. That’s intentional: let the masses get the news they want, but still technically hang onto him so they can save some money.

Look, just relax. You're getting a new coach. Don't let the old coach continue to terrorize you.
Tubby was fired right after he won a tournament game

The wording is interesting- does this mean if the New Mexico hire happens that we’ll still get out of the buyout?
Partially. If he gets another job, it's offset against the buyout. But it's not as good as getting out of it completely.

Nothing official from the U yet though. Just reporters saying “expected”. That’s intentional: let the masses get the news they want, but still technically hang onto him so they can save some money.
If the contract doesnt already have future salary mitigation against the buyout then we are idiots anyways.

Yes, he should have been fired in 2019, after another fuckup B1G and only winning 1 tournament game.

Absolutely. Anyone with eyes and a brain could see Pitino can't coach or recruit at a B1G level, and this was always how it would end.

We wasted two years and could have Musselman right now.

Yes, he should have been fired in 2019, after another fuckup B1G and only winning 1 tournament game.

Absolutely. Anyone with eyes and a brain could see Pitino can't coach or recruit at a B1G level, and this was always how it would end.

We wasted two years and could have Musselman right now.

Good point. Could have potentially had Fred Hoiberg at that time, too. He would have been good here and probably would have taken the job.

Monday the 15th high noon
Chucklehead is arguably the closest.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to when they will announce a new coach? I assume it will take a week at least just to hammer out a contract which puts us into next week at the earliest. I am going to guess it will be at the end of the month.

Chucklehead is arguably the closest.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to when they will announce a new coach? I assume it will take a week at least just to hammer out a contract which puts us into next week at the earliest. I am going to guess it will be at the end of the month.
Agents negotiate the contract. They'll try to keep it all quiet until after the new coach is done dancing, but the details will be finalized before then.

Agents negotiate the contract. They'll try to keep it all quiet until after the new coach is done dancing, but the details will be finalized before then.

Often times they will sign a letter of agreement to make the hiring official with years and money, but then hammer out the details of the contract after the hiring and after the announcement. In fact, some schools are governed by this, where they can't sign an official contract until approved by the board of regents.

RP is still the coach at the U. I'm sticking with my original prediction of tomorrow at 11am pst if all the New Mexico gossip is true.

One has boosters with deep pockets who don't mind throwing millions away while the other doesn't.
I saw that it was one donor that coughed up the entire $10 million. One. And another one chipped in to pay for the search for the new coach. So from what I can tell it cost Indiana exactly $0 to get rid of Miller.

Top Bottom