Our Status in the Big Ten

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I became a Gopher fan much later in life than most of you (well beyond my college years). I didn't move to this state until this century and it took me about 10 years after moving here to become one. It was pretty easy to live in this state without catching Gopher fever as I found that the citizenry didn't live for the Gophers the same way they did for the Vikings or the Twins or the way that I saw Iowans live for the Hawkeyes when I lived in eastern Iowa.

I started watching the basketball team faithfully in Tubby's last year and the football team a year later in the 2013 season and I've been a faithful follower of both since. On the whole, I'm happy that I never embraced the football program during the Brewster years although I'm a bit sorry that I missed some good moments from Mason's tenure during my earliest years of living here.

I have to say that, on the whole, the football team hasn't been bad during my nine years as a fan - more good moments than bad moments anyway. Counting the expected outcome of this season, I will have experienced 6 winning seasons to 3 losing ones and one of those losing seasons was 2020 which was more or less a lost year for most teams. All of you know the biggest problem: we just can't beat those two teams at the top of the division more than once in a blue moon. But, we're not the only western team with that problem and also-rans in the eastern division have the same problem with their division leaders.

This morning I was trying to find a comparable Power 5 team with a similar historical conference standing to the Gophers during my tenure as a fan. I think I found one: we're the Big Ten's Kansas State. Kansas State is never at the very bottom, occasionally is close to the bottom, sometimes rises to be close to the top teams, and can usually be found in the middle of their conference. They're better than many people might think, but, since relatively few outside of their region ever think about them, their successes or failures don't make much of an impression on the national consciousness either way.

I think the most painful part of being a fan of the two most high profile men's sports (football and basketball) is that, during my Gopher period, they haven't managed great success in either sport (the 2019 football season being the clear exception). Some Big Ten teams are poor or mediocre in one of those sports but much better in the other. For example, Northwestern is terrible in basketball but frequently pretty good in football. Maryland is really mediocre in football but usually pretty successful in basketball. The same is true with Illinois, at least lately.

It must be said that our football team has been better these last nine seasons than our basketball team. Our football team rarely has been among the bottom of the conference during that time whereas Pitino's teams have been among that group in five of his eight seasons and Johnson's first season is extremely likely to produce the same result. In fact, most of us will consider a 13th place conference standing this season to be a victory of sorts. I guess it's a testament to the football program that we have enough expectations to be crushed by the failures of a 6-4 football team.

Last edited:

We are the equivalent of Kentucky in the SEC - just never quite good enough

I look at us like many big 10 teams. Illinois has been trying to turn it around for decades. So has Purdue, Maryland, Indiana, etc.

We are them. Will it ever happen?

The problem for the Kansas schools:

when they go to Texas to try to recruit players there that they would need to win the conf ... why would those players pass by all the Texas and Oklahoma teams, to come up to play in Kansas?

Minnesota has a similar-ish kind of issue with geography. It's just tougher to get guys here, who aren't from here. And the guys who are from here, don't necessarily want to stay.

Sadly, it looks as if the Gopher FB program is right back in the Mason-Kill-Claeys zone --
win 7 or 8 regular season games and go to a mid-level bowl game.

Yes, Fleck had an 11-win season. which, in retrospect, seems more frustrating because it proves it was possible to do it once, but is seeming to be a lot more difficult to do it again.

Sadly, it looks as if the Gopher FB program is right back in the Mason-Kill-Claeys zone --

Yes, Fleck had an 11-win season. which, in retrospect, seems more frustrating because it proves it was possible to do it once, but is seeming to be a lot more difficult to do it again.
8 + a bowl win is 9 wins.

Let's get to the point where we actually are fed up with "only" 9 win seasons, first, yeah?

People forget how a number of those 11 wins were last second, miracle wins against teams we should have hammered.

People forget how a number of those 11 wins were last second, miracle wins against teams we should have hammered.
Could've easily lost all three of the first games.

After that, so ie all the Big Ten wins, those were all solid. But yeah, it was a rocky, but lucky, start of the year.

We are a program the consistently loses to our biggest "rivals" and beats up on middling to poor B1G West teams,

I think if you started following the team in 2013 or later you probably think about this disappointment differently than if you started following in the 80s or 90s

I mean if we are Mason-Kill-Claeys zone with an 11 win season once every ten years we should probably give him a lifetime contract

A fifth-place finish in the Big Ten West as predicted in the preseason is still possible.

I look at us like many big 10 teams. Illinois has been trying to turn it around for decades. So has Purdue, Maryland, Indiana, etc.

We are them. Will it ever happen?

As I said in my original post, my tenure has a Gopher fan isn't that long. We've been better than those four teams throughout my time (although we're only 3-3 against Maryland). Whatever successes or failures those teams (and the Gophers) had before then are pretty irrelevant to me.

I think if you started following the team in 2013 or later you probably think about this disappointment differently than if you started following in the 80s or 90s

Without question.

8 + a bowl win is 9 wins.

Let's get to the point where we actually are fed up with "only" 9 win seasons, first, yeah?

Yep, I'm certainly not fed up with nine win seasons yet. Part of why I wanted the Iowa win so badly is that plus Indiana would get us to 8 on the regular season with a chance to make it 9 in the bowl. Tough to see anything better than 8-5 now; while that's a respectable record, it's definitely kind of a downer at this point.

Been a fan since the late 80s. IMO there is OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin that are consistently better programs. Purdue, NW, Nebraska (last 5 years or so) and MN, then Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers. So MN is anywhere from 6th to 10th overall

At least Kansas schools are good at basketball!

Aren’t we more like Missouri! Or Misery.

I have been a Gopher fan all my life and will continue to be so. I have high hopes some years; the hopes get beaten down to reality most years. But the realistic floor I have for the Gophers is higher under Fleck.

We ran a very balanced attack in 2019, which helped us greatly to 11 wins. We haven’t run a balanced attack this year, which probably accounts for the fact that we will be a 6 or 7 win team—still a bowl team—leaving a few supposedly easy wins on the field.

Maybe 2022, with the annual change in personnel, will see us return to running a balanced offense in every game. I hope so. I believe our passing game isn’t here for us now because we neglected to develop its assets in game conditions, shelving it after it made a good showing against OSU. I’m sure this was a good reason … just don’t know what it was.

I have been a Gopher fan all my life and will continue to be so. I have high hopes some years; the hopes get beaten down to reality most years. But the realistic floor I have for the Gophers is higher under Fleck.

We ran a very balanced attack in 2019, which helped us greatly to 11 wins. We haven’t run a balanced attack this year, which probably accounts for the fact that we will be a 6 or 7 win team—still a bowl team—leaving a few supposedly easy wins on the field.

Maybe 2022, with the annual change in personnel, will see us return to running a balanced offense in every game. I hope so. I believe our passing game isn’t here for us now because we neglected to develop its assets in game conditions, shelving it after it made a good showing against OSU.
Having 3 of the top 4 receivers miss multiple games for various reasons hasn’t helped the passing game, the qb’s confidence, the timing, etc

I agree, need to be better in the passing game to be a true contender for the conference. Not in the cards this year. Don’t think the talent is there enough this year. Need to address it in recruiting.

Guilty as charged.
Which is good. People who started following the team more recently having higher expectations need to lift the expectations of some of the longer term fans. The longer term fans need to talk some of the newer fans off the ledge.

At least Kansas schools are good at basketball!

Aren’t we more like Missouri! Or Misery.

Sure. I used Kansas State as a comparable for football only. If we're talking about basketball only, I would have to find lower tier program from a P5 conference as a comparable. Maybe TCU.

Having 3 of the top 4 receivers miss multiple games for various reasons hasn’t helped the passing game, the qb’s confidence, the timing, etc

I agree, need to be better in the passing game to be a true contender for the conference. Not in the cards this year. Don’t think the talent is there enough this year. Need to address it in recruiting.
We used every scholarship RB this year (except Wiley, who entered the portal) and each one performed at a B1G level. We have 12 scholarship WRs on the team. I agree that we had some injuries to the top few guys, but I am surprised that none of the “depth” WRs were able to, or even asked to, step up as our RB depth did. Makes me wonder whether we have a lot of dead wood among our 12 scholie WRs.

We used every scholarship RB this year (except Wiley, who entered the portal) and each one performed at a B1G level. We have 12 scholarship WRs on the team. I agree that we had some injuries to the top few guys, but I am surprised that none of the “depth” WRs were able to, or even asked to, step up as our RB depth did. Makes me wonder whether we have a lot of dead wood among our 12 scholie WRs.
We 100% do.
Wolirarky would be the second best wideout on the roster this year. Nothing against him, just saying this is a Kill level receiving corps this year. Especially when CAB was hurt.

We 100% do.
Wolirarky would be the second best wideout on the roster this year. Nothing against him, just saying this is a Kill level receiving corps this year. Especially when CAB was hurt.
Wolitarsky's SR season, he would be the second best wideout on a lot of teams.

So the close games we win should be dealt with with an asterisks? Can we do that for the gross losses? Do we get to put an asterisks next to the game at Iowa when TJ dropped the ball at the 1? How about the Maryland game when we missed an extra point? Bowling Green this year?

The truth is that winning and losing matters. We will win some games we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't. It's football. They all count.

Losing to Iowa wouldn't hurt as much had they beaten BGSU and taken care of Illinois. This season is defined with inconsistencies that will shoot what was a promising season down the toilet.

Top Bottom