Oturu to enter draft per ESPN

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score

The dream of him staying appears to over :(

Feel free to delete this thread as another poster beat me to the punch :)

The dream of him staying appears to over :(
Of course he's declaring. Why wouldnt he? He can still come back. Nothing to lose!

Of course he's declaring. Why wouldnt he? He can still come back. Nothing to lose!

I'd say there's a 5% chance he comes back but of course I hope he does too. I guess for the Gophers benefit. Weak draft class this year as well.

Ricky stole another year and a couple cool million.

Did he receive his NBA feedback yet?

Thanks for all your efforts, being our first All-American since Q and hope you land comfortably in the first round with the best possible situation for you (coach and organization).

Hats off to Thee!?

How does this play out since he can still withdraw from the draft. Is his scholarship available immediately or do we hold on to it in case he changes his mind? I assume we hold it and use the other to try and lock in big.

Last edited:

How does this play out since he can still withdraw from the draft. Is his scholarship available immediately or do we hold on to it in case he changes his mind? I assume we hold it and use the other to try and lock in big.
Barring some highly unusual circumstance oturu is gone as he stays in the 247 article, Pitino should be treating it as if that's our ship is gone but I suppose it wouldn't be technically gone until the deadline has passed and he has not withdrawn

Hope Dan is a beast in the pros. Moving on though.

Transfer market is more than solid! Two bigs or 1 and a solid/good guard. Let's get better here.

Congrats Daniel, what a stud! He played hard and made sure everyone knew he loved the U! Could not ask for more

That said, we are going to be a disaster next year. Thus wastes another year, then watch the dominoes fall when Mashburn, Carr want to leave and our loaded 21 and 22 recruiting classes go down the tubes. Really was too bad Coyle couldnt move Pitino this year, going to be a long felt error I think.

Congrats Daniel, what a stud! He played hard and made sure everyone knew he loved the U! Could not ask for more

That said, we are going to be a disaster next year. Thus wastes another year, then watch the dominoes fall when Mashburn, Carr want to leave and our loaded 21 and 22 recruiting classes go down the tubes. Really was too bad Coyle couldnt move Pitino this year, going to be a long felt error I think.
No need to turn this into a Pitino bashing and if your going to speculate why don't you speculate we get a good big and Walton with the two scholarships and all may turn out pretty well. Could happen.

A home town kid who chose to stay home. For that reason alone, he's one of my all-time favorite Gophers. I wish him all the best!

There is no way to blame Coyle or Pitino. Coyle had no way of getting it done financially on the buyout and huge dollars for the new guy with the big booster money on hold and the athletic village not paid off. In this environment , not even knowing when there will games,travel,relocation. What will ticket sales and donations be like ?

He's not withdrawing, he's gone. Pitino is in touch with recruits and telling them Oturu is turning pro. He said as much to Udeze in a report from Adam Zagoria. I think that's why this came out today, Pitino wants recruits to know playing time is available.

We have absolutely no way of knowing what the team will be like next year at this point. Right now, thin in the front court for sure. If Freeman and Omersa live in a gym this off-season, you never know. If Curry is healthy enough to play and trust his knee, who knows. Get Kerwin Walton to come aboard and land Udeze as your center, this team can be very good next year.

Reckless to say they're going to be a disaster, until the scholarships are filled we don't know what it will look like.

We have absolutely no way of knowing what the team will be like next year at this point. Right now, thin in the front court for sure. If Freeman and Omersa live in a gym this off-season, you never know. If Curry is healthy enough to play and trust his knee, who knows. Get Kerwin Walton to come aboard and land Udeze as your center, this team can be very good next year.

Reckless to say they're going to be a disaster, until the scholarships are filled we don't know what it will look like.
Right with ya on moving forward hoping to land Walton. I don't think I'm in on all the Udeze talk though. He didn't do much at Wichita St. in his two years there. Maybe coaching had something to do with that, but still he'd be moving into a tougher league with bigger bodies and nothing there to say he'd come in and fill that spot that translates to winning games. I'd like to see Marfo or Markusson. I also think Udeze would have to sit a year.

Reckless? What over the past 7 years has made you think this will work out so well? Omersa is a bad offensive player, Freeman couldn't play 3 minutes a game, what recruiting history has said we will land Kerwin and Udeze?? I would like to be super up beat about this but I think people need to brace for a bad year. Fact is we had one of the better players in program history just leave an 11th place team, what has you optimistic? And don't give me the "well we lost but it was close" , a loss is a loss, I dont care if it's by 1 or 50.

This will be a huge test of Pitino's recruiting ability. Plenty of playing time to offer in the front court and a talented backcourt to play with. Should be as enticing a spot for a grad transfer big as you can get.
Yes, the pressure is on, in spades. At this point, we need ANY big man; the hope is someone better than just serviceable.

Unfortunately we're in a compromised situation again because of the lack of redundancy in the roster. The fear is that we're forced to take on the best warm body we can find.

Last edited:

Thanks Daniel! You are a class act. Loved the passion, hard work, and God given ability you chose to bring to your home state. I look forward to hearing about the big things you will be doing in the NBA.

Top Bottom