Other games

A great day of B1G basketball! I won't say anymore 'cause I'll probably go on like DickieV. So let me just say "a great day of B1G basketball!". Tomorrow may even be better.

Agreed. Great way to start the season and congrats to MD on a very tough road win at MSU. I love seeing the Terps in our conference and anytime the Spartans lose at home to a B1G opponent, except Wisky, is exciting.

And boy were some of today's endings exciting.

What a crazy day of B1G hoops. If I were picking the games, I would have only picked Northwestern over Rutgers correctly. Iowa over Ohio State is an absolutely jaw dropping result to me. Just checked the line for tomorrow and was surprised it opened with Purdue the favorite. It is anywhere from Purdue -2 (the open) to a pick em depending on the site.

Agreed. Great way to start the season and congrats to MD on a very tough road win at MSU. I love seeing the Terps in our conference and anytime the Spartans lose at home to a B1G opponent, except Wisky, is exciting.

In the MSU game, something happened that is all too common. In the first overtime, MSU had what I believe was a 4-point lead. They come down on offense and pass the ball around for 43 seconds to wind down the clock and then heave an awful desperation 3-point shot that clanks off the rim. Maryland grabs the rebound and goes down scores and changes the whole dynamic of the game. It reminds me of when football defenses go in to the "prevent defense," which has a similar failure rate.

Izzo blew that game on 2 occasions.

#1 Orders the timeout after MSU got the rebound of a missed free throw with a 2-point lead, as Forbes is breaking away for a 4-point lead & a game-clinching layup.

#2 Then basically the defense lets one of Maryland's best players (Wells) step into a game-tying 3. I know folks differ on whether to foul up 3 and under 7-8 seconds, but I'm in the camp that hates it when you let a guy fly with a potential game-tying 3. They had plenty of time to foul with about 5-6 seconds left but didn't do it.

I only tuned in with a couple minutes left in regulation, but I found myself cheering for Maryland. They hit big shots when they needed to, watching Trimble sink clutch free throws reminded me of Andre Hollins or Lawrence Westbrook. I know some people don't want to see the newcomer win the conference, but I think it'd be fun to see a newcomer win the Big Ten when many preseason predictions had Wisconsin running away with it.

The conference looks pretty open, and I think the Gophers have a good shot to finish in the top 4-6 and go to the tournament.

That was an exciting game. I wanted Maryland to win, but turned it off after they got behind by three and had a technical called on their coach in the first overtime. I thought a four or five point lead with that much time left in a game was likely safe. I later watched the replay of the first and second overtimes. When I stopped watching I thought Dez Wells was most responsible for them losing because of taking one-on-three circus shots in crunch time but he performed big time after that.

Maryland is good and has numerous players capable of contributing besides their stars. Right now they look like the second best team in the conference anyway. Michigan State is deeper than I thought they were. They should have looked for Dawson more in that game though.

Never too early to adopt a second team: For the Gophers this year it's Georgia

K-State has been a disappointment, but a chance for Georgia to pick up a decent road win today (3 p.m./ESPNU) in Manhattan. The Bulldogs (7-3, #23 RPI) appear to be the only potential quality non-conference win available to the Gophers.

Until the Gophers prove they're something other than a fence-walker, keeping my eyes on Athens, and pulling for UGA.

What a crazy day of B1G hoops. If I were picking the games, I would have only picked Northwestern over Rutgers correctly. Iowa over Ohio State is an absolutely jaw dropping result to me. Just checked the line for tomorrow and was surprised it opened with Purdue the favorite. It is anywhere from Purdue -2 (the open) to a pick em depending on the site.

Iowa played defense yesterday like they did against North Carolina. They're a good defensive team but not so great on offense, pretty much the opposite of prior McCaffrey Iowa teams. Both Ohio State and Illinois suffered a bit from a couple of their "stars" trying to be heroes instead of sharing the ball. Illinois has the ability to finish well in the conference, but at times yesterday they looked like a headless horseman on offense.

K-State has been a disappointment, but a chance for Georgia to pick up a decent road win today (3 p.m./ESPNU) in Manhattan. The Bulldogs (7-3, #23 RPI) appear to be the only potential quality non-conference win available to the Gophers.

Until the Gophers prove they're something other than a fence-walker, keeping my eyes on Athens, and pulling for UGA.

Dont look now, Seton Hall laying the wood to St Johns.....

Without Whitehead either...

Izzo blew that game on 2 occasions.

#1 Orders the timeout after MSU got the rebound of a missed free throw with a 2-point lead, as Forbes is breaking away for a 4-point lead & a game-clinching layup.

#2 Then basically the defense lets one of Maryland's best players (Wells) step into a game-tying 3. I know folks differ on whether to foul up 3 and under 7-8 seconds, but I'm in the camp that hates it when you let a guy fly with a potential game-tying 3. They had plenty of time to foul with about 5-6 seconds left but didn't do it.

I agree. Neither team looked good in regulation, and give Maryland credit for hanging around on the road, but Izzo let MSU snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in this one.

I am one who thinks the "foul or don't foul" question depends on the circumstances, but in college (where you can't advance the ball on TO) *usually* you should foul. With under 10 seconds left -- and for sure once it went under 5-6 seconds left -- and a team like Maryland that has some big time guards that can shoot the 3, they should've fouled.

Dont look now, Seton Hall laying the wood to St Johns.....

Without Whitehead either...

Much like against us, St Johns is making a furious comeback. Were down 14, got it within 2, and are currently 5 down with 3:47 left. Hopefully they pull this out.

Frank the Tank

Has some serious big-man skills. He's the cliche "hard to guard."

Penn State looks decent, but they're still losing by 20.

Georgia did pick up another decent road win today 50-46 at Kansas State hopefully they can have a nice year in the SEC and be a solid resume win come tourney time.

Georgia did pick up another decent road win today 50-46 at Kansas State hopefully they can have a nice year in the SEC and be a solid resume win come tourney time.

Although K-State did beat Purdue, they are in rough shape. They'll have a losing record this year.

Georgia isn't very good, but with their schedule (e.g., especially with regard to the lack of horrible win-loss opponents) the RPI will believe they had good strength of schedule... that said, even with a 9-9 conference record they could fall just inside the RPI top 50.

Impressive win for Minnesota? Not at all. RPI-pretty win? Yes, good chance of that.

Purdue about to beat Michigan by double digits. I don't think that loss will be a bad one at all.

Purdue about to beat Michigan by double digits. I don't think that loss will be a bad one at all.

At the end of the year it might not look bad, but after being up 13 in the first half, and 11 with 9 minutes left, it will still be a bad loss no matter how good Purdue is.

Ohio State trailing Illinois 44-41 at the 2nd half under 16 timeout in Columbus.

Rutgers up 11 on Penn State at half. A loss to Rutgers pretty much cancels out Penn State's good (but not real challenging) non-conference performance. Let's see if Nitts show some fight in 2nd half.

New Mexico putting a hurting on Colorado St. In the 2nd half NM 60-42

New Mexico putting a hurting on Colorado St. In the 2nd half NM 60-42

Reminded me of this thread where Selection Sunday and I commented favorably on New Mexico's chances this year (and warned that Nebraska isn't good).

Still a lot of work for New Mexico to do, but they are in the convo still, most certainly... Sam Logwood having a nice game tonight - good for him, rough start to year, but was a fun player to watch in travel basketball.

Reminded me of this thread where Selection Sunday and I commented favorably on New Mexico's chances this year (and warned that Nebraska isn't good).

Still a lot of work for New Mexico to do, but they are in the convo still, most certainly... Sam Logwood having a nice game tonight - good for him, rough start to year, but was a fun player to watch in travel basketball.

Any idea when they expect Neal back from his injury? Gonna' be tough for Lobos to make tourney without him.

Any idea when they expect Neal back from his injury? Gonna' be tough for Lobos to make tourney without him.

Need others to step up. I think he's going to shut it down for the year.

Will need to make sure a doctor will say he can't go for the rest of the year so that he can try and get a medical hardship waiver. If docs are saying, "yes, we'll be comfortable signing something that says he's incapacitated through March" then he's probably done for the season.

Top Bottom