Other B1G Games Thread

Surprised to see Indiana beat Ohio State without Vonleh and that really doesn't help us at all. Indiana seems to be playing pretty well right now but I hope they will at least lose 1 of their final 2 vs.Nebraska and @Michigan and we can beat Penn State and stay in that #7 spot.

I was pulling for Indiana. I don't want to play them in Indy. The Hoosiers' win today increases the chances that it won't be Gophers vs. Indiana in the 7-10 game. Assuming both finish 8-10 -- not safe to assume anything in the B1G this year, I know -- Gophers will be #7 and Hoosiers would be #8.

I was pulling for Indiana. I don't want to play them in Indy. The Hoosiers' win today increases the chances that it won't be Gophers vs. Indiana in the 7-10 game. Assuming both finish 8-10 -- not safe to assume anything in the B1G this year, I know -- Gophers will be #7 and Hoosiers would be #8.
I don't want to play them in Indy either I was just hoping they would lose today and then beat Nebraska to get their 7th win. Are we better off with Indiana beating Nebraska and then hoping Michigan takes care of Indiana so they don't jump us or Nebraska beating Indiana and hoping Wisconsin wins at Nebraska so they don't put themselves in a good spot for a NCAA tournament spot?

Best case scenario:

Minnesota beats PSU-locks in 7th seed

Wisconsin wins out (vs. Purdue, @Nebraska) they lock 2nd seed

Northwestern beats PSU at home (Wisconsin scenario above means Purdue lost) they get 10 seed

Outcome: Minnesota vs. Northwestern first round and vs. Wisconsin second round (as opposed to Sparty).

Best case scenario:

Northwestern beats PSU at home (Wisconsin scenario above means Purdue lost) they get 10 seed

Outcome: Minnesota vs. Northwestern first round and vs. Wisconsin second round (as opposed to Sparty).

Agreed. Vs Northwestern followed by vs Wisconsin would be a gift right now.

I'd rather play Sparty than Badgers at this point

Agreed. Vs Northwestern followed by vs Wisconsin would be a gift right now.

Not so sure about wanting to play Wisconsin over Michigan State. Badgers are on a roll, and Sparty is looking like a train wreck. Looks to me like Sparty is never going to get healthy, especially Appling. He's out there, but with his bad wrist he can't do anything other than just move the ball around. He's basically just a body out on the court. Can't shoot and he's afraid of going strong to the basket, which used to be his #1 strength.

Best case scenario:

This is what I'm hoping for too and even though Michigan State has been struggling lately I still think they will eventually put it all together and I just feel Wisconsin is a much better matchup for us.

I'm just disappointed we're limping to the finish line again, same story, different regime. As the other teams are getting stronger, we simply haven't. Time to surprise and hit our stride in the tournament!

Gophers need Nebraska and (I hate to say this) Bucky wins tonight.

Why do we need Nebraska to win? seems to me that they are competion for a tourney spot.

Yeah, I'll be rooting for Nebraska to lost tonight.

Perfect scenario for this week in the Big Ten as it relates to the bubble.

(1) Nebraska loses to both Indiana and Wisconsin, Huskers finish 9-9 in B1G.

(2) Hoosiers then lose @ Michigan to finish 8-10.

(3) Most importantly, Gophers beat Penn State to finish 8-10 and retain #7 seed.

This scenario, IMO, clearly leaves the Gophers ahead of both the Hoosiers & Huskers (in that order) in the bubble pecking order heading to Indianapolis.

Perfect scenario for this week in the Big Ten as it relates to the bubble.

(1) Nebraska loses to both Indiana and Wisconsin, Huskers finish 9-9 in B1G.

(2) Hoosiers then lose @ Michigan to finish 8-10.

(3) Most importantly, Gophers beat Penn State to finish 8-10 and retain #7 seed.

This scenario, IMO, clearly leaves the Gophers ahead of both the Huskers & Hoosiers in the bubble pecking order heading to Indianapolis.

Gophers beat Penn State.

SS, pardon my laziness, but what team would (probably) be the 10th seed in that scenerio and play the Gophers?

SS, pardon my laziness, but what team would (probably) be the 10th seed in that scenerio and play the Gophers?

It would be Illinois, Northwestern, Penn State, or Purdue, with Illinois probably the most likely scenario and Northwestern the least likely.

It would be Illinois, Northwestern, Penn State, or Purdue, with Illinois probably the most likely scenario and Northwestern the least likely.

If Northwestern beats PSU at home tomorrow it will most likely be Northwestern. Assuming Purdue loses at Kohl and ILL loses at Carver.

If there is Northwestern and Purdue tied, a 3 way tie or 4 way tie then the only way it isn't Northwestern is if Bucky loses @Neb and Sparty wins vs. Iowa and @OSU which could happen but I would bet against it.

Northwestern has the head to head with ILL tie breaker, and the head to head PSU tie breaker if they beat them at home this week.

Also...Bucky is the 2 seed with a win @Neb or a loss by MSU in either the vs.Iowa game or @OSU game. I would prefer this as of the top 3 seeds I think we match up with Bucky the best.

I think if the Gophers beat PSU and win their first round BTT game they are in ahead of NEB.

So the Huskers go into Bloomington and beat the Hosers by 10. Very impressive. They surely pass the eye test and the taste test. I think they've played themselves in barring a bad loss.

In a strange way, I think Nebraska getting in can actually help the Gophers. Selection Sunday might blast this all to heck, and I invite him to, but if the Gophs still finish with a better RPI than Nebraska, it would be tough for the selection committee to take them and not us. Not that that can't happen, and it depends on how all the other bubble teams test out over the next week and a half. But the whole conference record versus RPI thing does make things a little complicated for the committee.

It would be awfully difficult to justify taking MN, and not NE. Even I would feel a little uneasy about that. Let's hope you're right. Nebraska definitely deserves to go. The Gophers need 3 wins.

My Badger friends told me tonight they think Wisconsin would be the best possible match up for Minnesota in the 2nd round of the BTT. I told them I'm only thinking about PSU.

My Badger friends told me tonight they think Wisconsin would be the best possible match up for Minnesota in the 2nd round of the BTT. I told them I'm only thinking about PSU.

Hopefully the Gophers aren't looking ahead either. Beating PSU should be their only goal right now. If and when they achieve that goal, they need to buck up and start knocking off whoever they face in the B1G tourney. Be it Wisconsin, MSU, whomever, they need a deep run to ensure a spot in the dance.

Unless the Gophers are playing them, I just can't root against Nebraska. They haven't been to the NCAA tournament since 1994. Haven't won a tournament game since it expanded to 64 teams in 1985. Of course, if they beat the crap out of the Gophers for the next ten years, my opinion will change.

It's really nauseating to think that if the Gophers hadn't s#@& the bed at home against Illinois AND Northwestern they would be safely into the tournament.

If Northwestern beats PSU at home tomorrow it will most likely be Northwestern. Assuming Purdue loses at Kohl and ILL loses at Carver.

If there is Northwestern and Purdue tied, a 3 way tie or 4 way tie then the only way it isn't Northwestern is if Bucky loses @Neb and Sparty wins vs. Iowa and @OSU which could happen but I would bet against it.

Northwestern has the head to head with ILL tie breaker, and the head to head PSU tie breaker if they beat them at home this week.

I'm starting to come around to the idea of playing NW in the 1st round. Illinois is the only of the 3 that would add anything to our resume, but it seems like we may need to beat Wiscy. So the most important thing is to get there. Illinois is a bad match-up and I don't want to have to beat PSU twice in 4 days. Give me the Cats.

Top Bottom