Other B1G Conference Games 2023-24

Showboat Caitlin Clark missed the showboat deep way out deep three to tie the game. Maybe should have moved the ball or moved closer.

Fans are storming the court. Ohio State beat Caitlin Clark and Iowa in overtime.

20240121_131621.jpg

Clark had no interest in playing defense the second half or OT.

Go Gophers!!

On the one hand, security needs to protect players.

On the other hand, was she trying to get a call? She fell like Neymar.

This angle makes Clark look like she hardly got hit.

Player safety comes first. The blame is on the fan.

None-the-less, I've seen Clark dramatically exagrerate contact. I remember one Iowa game against the Gophers where Gopher Isabelle Gradwell made a clean block (on the ball only) on a Clark layup to deny Clark. Gradwell was pumped. Clark flailed onto the ground "impacted" for the false call, I thought, 'Oh seriously?' A clean block but Iowa fans howled, EJECTED FOR THAT! Replay confirmed no contact, but Clark got the FAKE call, and there was Clark in her dramatic act. And of course she was fine. So I'm going to lampoon her habit of exaggerating reactions.

Gopher Isabelle Gradwell got a clean block on "the" Caitlin Clark but instead the fake Clark got that into the stat books as a foul and then what looked like an injured Clark, total bogus dramatics. DOUBLE BOGUS from Showboat Clark.

1705929743482.png

I did watch her post game interview and I was impressed with her response. I have been critical of her dramatic court behaviors in the past but it feels like overall she is maturing . She congratulated OSU and said she welcomed and understood the enthusiasm from the fans. The AD from OSU apologized and she accepted his apology and repeated she did not feel like she was intentionally targeted. Lisa Bluder was way more angry and I agree with her that this should not be allowed to happen.

Heavy Twitter debate seems split between Clark flopped and legit collision. I guess people have different perceptions of the same thing

I am more in the middle. Not that it didn't happen but exaggerated the reaction, arms going straight up high, which she does constantly, exaggerate.

I don’t know how you can watch those videos and not see Clark initiating the contact, extending her arms, and then flopping dramatically. It’s especially telling how the other woman pops right up and Clark needs help off the floor. I really don’t care, but the whole thing is pretty humorous.

Michigan's Laila Phelia nailed two free throws with .06 seconds remaining to give Michigan the win. Maryland's Brown-Turner missed a tap in at the buzzer.

Michigan's Laila Phelia nailed two free throws with .06 seconds remaining to give Michigan the win. Maryland's Brown-Turner missed a tap in at the buzzer.

Wow. I am shocked. I thought about posting that Maryland was close to winning.

The Big Ten is a free for all in the middle.

Michigan State led Michigan 27-23 at the end of one and then ran away to a 82-61 win in East Lansing. It was a foul filled contest with Michigan called for 25 and MSU 21

The Badgers took down Rutgers 73-62. Serah Williams with 31 points on 12-14 shooting (2-2 from three). She also grabbed 12 rebounds

Iowa beat Nebraska.

1706397575445.png

Clark has never scored less than 30 against Nebraska . And it was more of the same Saturday, as she dropped 38 points, also grabbing 10 rebounds, dishing six assists and tallying two steals in No. 5 Iowa's 92-73 win. She connected on 8-of-15 3-point attempts during the game.

She scored 28 in the second half alone, which she told the Big Ten Network was a result of playing with “more intensity, more emotion and more pride.” She also credited the way Iowa moved the ball in the second half, which helped the Hawkeyes total 20 assists.

Caitlin Clark continues to make records. Next Iowa game is against Northwestern.

Most Career Points​

1. Kelsey Plum, Washington - 3,527
  2. Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State - 3,402
  3. Jackie Stiles, Missouri State - 3,393
  4. Caitlin Clark, Iowa - 3,389
  5. Brittney Griner, Baylor - 3,283
  6. Patricia Hoskins, Mississippi Valley State - 3,122
  7. Lorri Bauman, Drake - 3,115
  8. Jerica Coley, Florida International - 3,107
  9. Rachel Banham, Minnesota - 3,093
  10. Ashley Joens, Iowa State - 3,060

Penn State led Maryland 45-32 at the half. Shyanne Sellers was helped off the court at the end of the half and has not returned for the Terps. PSU press bothered the Terps. Owusu is fun to watch

Last edited:

Maryland's woes:

“You’d always want more players, I think that was something coming off of an Elite Eight that we really tried to do and that run didn’t really impact anything,” Frese said. “We tried to get as many numbers in here, we tried to get more point guards in here and it wasn’t meant to be.”

While Frese said her staff tried to acquire more contributors from the transfer portal, the Terps only added NC State transfer Jakia Brown-Turner. Bringing in only one player with three available scholarships remaining, whether by design or not, might have been a mistake.

Big Ten teams added an average of nearly two transfers each this offseason, but contenders such as Ohio State and Penn State brought in even more with three and five, respectively. Maryland could have benefited from an experienced guard such as Tania Mair, who committed to Duke over Maryland, or Celeste Taylor.

The Terps have not been averse to using the portal in the past, either. Frese grabbed five transfers in 2022.

[Maryland’s Shyanne Sellers day-to-day with a knee injury ahead of difficult week]

Now, a roster that was projected to be deep before the season is running awfully thin. Riley Nelson and Emma Chardon both suffered season-ending injuries while Lavender Briggs has also missed time with a lower body injury.

Beyond injuries, returning players have regressed in key areas. Veteran Brinae Alexander’s scoring and three-point efficiency has declined so far in conference play. Shyanne Sellers has shot just 11 percent from deep and turned the ball an average of more than 3.5 times per game against Big Ten opponents.

Maryland returned an All-Big Ten first team guard in Sellers and a majority of its roster from last season, but lost Abby Meyers and Diamond Miller — two WNBA first round picks.

Sellers and the rest of the Terps have struggled to grow into their new roles and replace the production of their do-it-all forward in Miller, a solid secondary scorer and shooter in Meyers and role players like Eliza Pinzan — who proved to be a bigger loss than expected.

Rutgers looking for their first conference win leads Nebraska 60-49 at the end of three in Lincoln

Nebraska is the new leader in the BIG clubhouse for worst BIG loss of the year. With Braun's injury and otherwise, the middle of the BIG is not looking so good.

Top Bottom