OMG

gophervet

Reaction score
I can hardly believe it. The Gophers hired a coach with a track record of winning at 4 different schools at 3 different levels. He has not even spoke to the media yet and we are already incredibly upset by the hire. Give the guy a chance, he just might surprise some people. Also, saying he can't recruit to NIU? No *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. No one gets 5* there. It is the MAC. I think we need to take the guns from our foreheads for a little while and see what happens. He just might succeed. All we can do is support the guy because he is ours for at least a few years.

Well Maturi said "Tubby Smith hire." We got a guy with a record of winning who I believe will do well here. He's turned around multiple programs. If you whine about it, it isn't going to change. I hope you all continue to support Gopher football because I know I will.

I can hardly believe it. The Gophers hired a coach with a track record of winning at 4 different schools at 3 different levels. He has not even spoke to the media yet and we are already incredibly upset by the hire. Give the guy a chance, he just might surprise some people. Also, saying he can't recruit to NIU? No *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. No one gets 5* there. It is the MAC. I think we need to take the guns from our foreheads for a little while and see what happens. He just might succeed. All we can do is support the guy because he is ours for at least a few years.

No kidding. I'm especially fond of the thread asking which sports we'll have to cut in two years. Talk about irrationality taking over. The man hasn't even been named coach yet and we have people on this board talking about the imminent apocalypse of not only football, but athletics at the U. What a joke.

Like the hire or don't. But jeebus, people on this board are both not very bright and overly reactionary all at the same time.

I support the coach, not the clown who made the hire. Big difference.

people are allowed to be upset with the hire. hopefully they still support the program but not everyone has to be happy with the hire. my gosh

It doesn't meet the usual pattern for hiring of Gopher coaches. Generally, we have hired coaches with losing records in as D-I head coaches, or with little experience.

Stoll: 15-17 record
Salem: Good record as a D-II HC, but no D-I experience
Holtz: Solid winning record as a D-I coach:
Gutekunst: No HC experience, only two years experience as a DC
Wacker: Good record as a D-II HC, 40-58-2 record as a D-I HC
Mason: Mediocre record as a D-I HC, just under .500
Brewster: No HC or coordinator experience.

So, we have just one coach with a winning D-I record in that list. Now we hire a coach that wins, and people are upset about it.

The supporters in this threat are very comfortable with the status quo and continue to offer up excuses to support Maturi. Will it finally take losing Tubby Smith before you all pull your heads out of your proverbial butt and realize that Mediocrity is unacceptable? There are a few of us who really think this University can have a Great Athletic program verses what we have today? Why cant we be as good as Wisconsin or OSU? Why do you people shoot so low? You guys have continually beat me up on the Basketball Board with your support for Maturi. Why do you think Kill is a great Game Changing hire? Kill might be a great guy and a cancer survivor and I applaud him! However, just like your friend JM, he is over matched for this job and in 4 years we will be looking for a new football coach. What a Great disappointment for the few of us younger people who care about Gopher Football.I suspect the rest of the State really doesn't give a Rats ass because the program has been irrelevant for so long. Apathy is the correct term .

Shame on you Joel and all your backers. Mediocrity is not a virtue that breeds success.

What status quo? We hired a winning coach instead of our usual pattern of hiring a coach with a losing record.

I'm not thrilled with Kill, how can you talk about Ohio State. Let's see, where was their coach from?

RR --you are delusional if you think he was a Big named--Tubby Smith--Lou Holtz-- type hire...

I am in no way supporting Maturi but I will support Kill. Everything indicates that he is a very good football coach. I've said all along that I will continue to support Gopher Football, no matter who we hire. I'd take Kill over Sumlin, Hoke, or Niumatololo.

The supporters in this threat are very comfortable with the status quo and continue to offer up excuses to support Maturi. Will it finally take losing Tubby Smith before you all pull your heads out of your proverbial butt and realize that Mediocrity is unacceptable? There are a few of us who really think this University can have a Great Athletic program verses what we have today? Why cant we be as good as Wisconsin or OSU? Why do you people shoot so low? You guys have continually beat me up on the Basketball Board with your support for Maturi. Why do you think Kill is a great Game Changing hire? Kill might be a great guy and a cancer survivor and I applaud him! However, just like your friend JM, he is over matched for this job and in 4 years we will be looking for a new football coach. What a Great disappointment for the few of us younger people who care about Gopher Football.I suspect the rest of the State really doesn't give a Rats ass because the program has been irrelevant for so long. Apathy is the correct term .

Shame on you Joel and all your backers. Mediocrity is not a virtue that breeds success.

In another case, I might take this post seriously. But seeing as how your whole shtick everytime you show up is to tell us we're all satisfied with mediocrity and that the solution is to cut all sports not named football, basketball and hockey in order to be successful, this post adds little (if anything) to the discussion.

Rodent---You would probably be happy with a Government cheese handout too.---your expectations for this University are so low and have been tainted by years of mediocrity. I am sorry, but insanity is continuing to do the same things over and over again and expecting different results. This Athletic Department has been insane for the bulk of the last 50 years. This hire is NOT a game changer and will not reinvigorate the Apathy that is alive and well and pervasive to the masses.

MRJ--this HIRE Proves my point! ...........You worship on the Alter of Mediocrity!

Yeah seriously you guys, I would rather have a guy that has won everywhere he has been a head coach and that has 16+ years of doing it under his belt than some hotshot up and coming hype machine like a bunch of the other coaches on the list. This is a really good hire, come on, the guy knows how to win and knowing how to win is half the battle.

MRJ--this HIRE Proves my point! ...........You worship on the Alter of Mediocrity!

This hire doesn't prove anything other than apparently giving you another chance to come back with the same soapbox crap you spew everytime you show up.

As soon as maturi is released, you will see a Kinder and gentler M2S........sorry, and by the way, MRJ, some sports programs are going to have to be cut. Sorry my friend, it is the realities of having a POOR football program!..........

Rodent---You would probably be happy with a Government cheese handout too.---your expectations for this University are so low and have been tainted by years of mediocrity. I am sorry, but insanity is continuing to do the same things over and over again and expecting different results. This Athletic Department has been insane for the bulk of the last 50 years. This hire is NOT a game changer and will not reinvigorate the Apathy that is alive and well and pervasive to the masses.

You probably couldn't tell government cheese from a football.

As soon as maturi is released, you will see a Kinder and gentler M2S........sorry, and by the way, MRJ, some sports programs are going to have to be cut. Sorry my friend, it is the realities of having a POOR football program!..........

Oh boy, here we go again.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Riddle me this, how have we managed to keep all of the programs we have for the past 30 years ? I mean there was that big 10 championship in the 80s and the one in the 90s breAthed some life into the non rev sports. But these past 4 years of mediocrity really has put the non rev programs at risk. Seriously chicken little chill out and let this program grow under the steady hand of some one that knows how to run a program. The purpose of hiring a coach isn't to give you a raging hard on for 30 seconds because your happy with a name.

MRJ--I Hope you get used to that smell where you keep your head buried. This hire is going to do NOTHING to excite the masses and to build a program like OSU and Wisconsin. I really hope I am wrong. Maybe after your guy Maturi loses Tubby you will see the light. Until then, I hope you enjoy that sweet smell of Gopher Football-that same stench you have been happy with the past 50 years!

MRJ--I Hope you get used to that smell where you keep your head buried. This hire is going to do NOTHING to excite the masses and to build a program like OSU and Wisconsin. I really hope I am wrong. Maybe after your guy Maturi loses Tubby you will see the light. Until then, I hope you enjoy that sweet smell of Gopher Football-that same stench you have been happy with the past 50 years!

You really really don't get it do you? I have explained on several occasions that I am NOT a Maturi supporter, but that's all you can come back with because it's the only way you can continue to pursue the bogus argument you make each and everytime you happen to stop by. I'm going to give Kill a chance because that's what new coaches deserve, regardless of how I personally feel about the guy who made the hire. You on the other hand? It's the same tired, soapbox crap every time you type.

MRJ, .As I said, I think Kill is a great guy, admire his courage,etc etc etc....but -----it was a mediocre hire that will NOT be a program changer. If you want to protect all your NON-Revenue sports teams, you need a successful football program to fund it. Don't you guys get that? We needed a SPLASH a big name and a coach who can recruit, win, and inspire the Apathetic masses.

I may be alone in my thinking but I am very disappointed but not surprised at all by this hire. It fits the Maturi profile of Excellence.

MRJ, .As I said, I think Kill is a great guy, admire his courage,etc etc etc....but -----it was a mediocre hire that will NOT be a program changer. If you want to protect all your NON-Revenue sports teams, you need a successful football program to fund it. Don't you guys get that? We needed a SPLASH a big name and a coach who can recruit, win, and inspire the Apathetic masses.

I may be alone in my thinking but I am very disappointed but not surprised at all by this hire. It fits the Maturi profile of Excellence.

I completely understand that. And that's why I will be watching this situation closely, as will a lot of others. As it stands, the U is already making more than they ever did at the dome thanks to having TCF Bank Stadium (and that's even with all the issues with Brewster), so that's a good start. I also like the fact that Kill has a reputation for consistently improving his teams during his tenures because that is what we need. Taking all that into account, I'm willing to roll with Kill for the time being. Not forever certainly, but for the time being.

As for Maturi, I don't care for him at all. He's a weak leader and is almost completely responsible for the mess that Kill is now being entrusted to fix. His past leads me to the conclusion that it won't be surprising if this hire fails. That is different from ASSUMING Kill will fail however, which is where I think folks on this board are having problems.

For now it is what it is, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I was fond of Maturi and his job performance to this point.

MRJ---I can take that in full agreement....Now lets hope Tubby gets his practice facility so we don't lose him.........he really is all we have on a National Level.....

MRJ---I can take that in full agreement....Now lets hope Tubby gets his practice facility so we don't lose him.........he really is all we have on a National Level.....

Agree. Along the way we need to replace Don Lucia, possibly Pam Borton, get a new baseball field and also get a practice facility for hoops...:eek:

Personally, my list of priorities in that case are as follows:

1. Lucia/hoops practice facility (1 and 1a I guess)
2. baseball
3. Borton

That's just me, but hey, it's at least a start! :)

Top Bottom