***OFFICIAL WESTERN MICHIGAN AT MINNESOTA SEASON OPENING IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Carrington being the third or even fourth best player seems unlikely. Being in the rotation seems more reasonable.

I did not get to watch so I will just comment on the box score.

9-23 FT That simply cant happen at the D1 level. When you are an average at best team that matters. That is how you go from 17-15 to 12-20.

40 minutes for Cooper. That is a gigantic red flag for me in game 1. We don't have 1 guy who can spell him for even 4 minutes against West Mich? Carrington was out fine, but I dont think you can rely on a guy who has never really been a PG to suddenly as a freshman in the B1G to be one. Looks like a big miss for Ben in the portal.

On the other side. Assuming battle comes back, we could have one of the top trios in the conference. Battle/Garcia/Cooper are legit. I would like more depth but those 3 can all take over games and just will us to wins. Also with 3 legit options it lessens the burden on the other guys which helps.

Again didnt see the game but I wouldnt worry about Payne's fouling a ton yet. Ref's are notorious for opening the year super tight with the whistle, especially in non conference. You get in the meat grinder with Wisc you get to be a little more physical.

Just one game but 44% from 3 and all of our starters capable of hitting that will be big.
This team will be worse than last year .
Ben has no Peyton Willis,
That is why , he was huge !!!!

This team will be worse than last year .
Ben has no Peyton Willis,
That is why , he was huge !!!!
This team will be worse than last year? With Garcia and Cooper, you have 2 good quality Big Ten players to go along with Battle, who may be better this year than last. Thompson, while still a work in progress, looks far better this year. And perhaps as important as anything, you have some talented freshmen in Payne, Henley, Joseph, and Carrington, who will be pretty awful at times early in the season, but they will GET BETTER. Ben has a bench this year, last year he had almost no bench. They literally did not even try to get an offensive rebound last year! They are not going to win the Big Ten this year and will probably finish in the bottom half, but they will be better than last year. Let's not take too much from the first game of the season, there will be improvement this year.

Top Bottom