Official "stop the official negative threads" threads

I've always thought the 12th man refers to the fans in the stadium, not people on an anonymous message board. Positive and negative opinions are the object of a message board. Yes I agree some people are over the top at times(myself included), and some people are just not meant to be here.

Start looking at the numbers of the people on the board at times and you realize you are going to get Zillions of different thoughts.......such is life.

And though some of us complain about the mods at times, the do a pretty good job considering the number of posters and amount of traffic. BUT FIX THE CHAT ROOM.:)
I understand the situation here with anonymous posters behaving poorly. Admitting you're among those "over the top" is interesting. Maybe some of us should consider if our moms would be ashamed if they knew. If they wouldn't be, maybe that helps identify the root of this situation.

My reference to 12th man was the booing at the stadium. Anyone who was there and not embarrassed that their team was winning and being booed has some mixed up values about how humans should treat each other and what it means to be on of the greatest fan bases in sports. Many are the kind of folks that would ridicule Iowa or Wisconsin fans for doing it. The boos were directed at the coaches? How exactly do the players know that? They're obviously all in this together. And, anyone trying to justify it as helpful has some mixed up values, and are likely hypocrites.
Fan support is what is being given here. There are problems, fans are giving discussion on those problems and what they think needs to be done. Just because it isn't all "positive" doesn't mean it isn't intended to help the program, ignoring your problems will never make you better and Kill and company know that more than anyone else.
Print out this and some of the other threads and pass it on to your boss, your kids' teachers, and young parents who are raising children. It's not constructive, it is DESTRUCTIVE.

I understand the situation here with anonymous posters behaving poorly. Admitting you're among those "over the top" is interesting. Maybe some of us should consider if our moms would be ashamed if they knew. If they wouldn't be, maybe that helps identify the root of this situation.

My reference to 12th man was the booing at the stadium. Anyone who was there and not embarrassed that their team was winning and being booed has some mixed up values about how humans should treat each other and what it means to be on of the greatest fan bases in sports. Many are the kind of folks that would ridicule Iowa or Wisconsin fans for doing it. The boos were directed at the coaches? How exactly do the players know that? They're obviously all in this together. And, anyone trying to justify it as helpful has some mixed up values, and are likely hypocrites.

Print out this and some of the other threads and pass it on to your boss, your kids' teachers, and young parents who are raising children. It's not constructive, it is DESTRUCTIVE.

People were booing, not throwing things or threatening them. I'm not big on booing myself but this issue is about 23rd on a list of 25 things that I didn't like about Saturday's game.

A mojority of the people who booed we be at the game this Saturday (and the rest of the home games). They are still supporting the program, the team and the players.

Other than the two picks, I thought Leidner played a decent game.

Other than the two picks, I thought Leidner played a decent game.
The second one should have been negated by defensive P.I or holding. Their CB had his hand wrapped around Still's forearm as they ran down the field.

If my mom knew I posted "Leidner is a below average Power 5 conference QB" and was ashamed of me my mom has instilled the proper values in me and if she isn't ashamed of me my mom is to blame for my bad behavior on an anonymous message board.

It's not. I would welcome a measure more of realistic constructive feedback in my workplace and in my schooling experience. Much better preparation for real life than just pretending everything is fine when it isn't.

Was at the game and agree with this. Most people around us were unhappy with the coaching and playcalling.

Student section was feeling the same way. Plenty of boos from that part of the stadium as well. Seemed like fair criticism of the play-calling to me.

That said, I think the staff will figure it out before the Ohio game.

I like it when a thread is titled something like "Official _____ is a terrible _____ thread." That way I know not to even open it. I don't mind people breaking down the X's and O's of football and trying to come up with theories why we are struggling offensively, but when the analysis is no deeper than "so-and-so sucks", I'll pass.

If my mom knew I posted "Leidner is a below average Power 5 conference QB" and was ashamed of me my mom has instilled the proper values in me and if she isn't ashamed of me my mom is to blame for my bad behavior on an anonymous message board.

I'll defer to AJ's Mom's BFF on this one.

Hey all. Long time GH creeper here, finally pulled the trigger and created an account. I look forward in contributing to the madness that is the GH forum.

Also, I apologize that this is off-topic, but I didn't feel as though this introduction needed its own thread.

After several days, I finally logged on and I see all this negativity. Geez Everyone. Worst case...we could still have tim (can-i-get-laid-tonight?) brewster as a head coach and we would be 0-3 right now... coming off a 1-11 season for the 4th straight year.

Listen folks...think about it...it could be lots worst. We've been given hope and the bar has been raised. Be thankful and stop the bitching. The future will be great.

I forgot to add in my original comment on this thread; I too am not fond of booing at the stadium. People may be directing their boos at the coaches, but I'm sure the players take it personally though. It also isn't cool when we have recruits on visits.....all sports.

Now booing opponents and other teams........it's a go....Damn I miss Bobby Knight.

I forgot to add in my original comment on this thread; I too am not fond of booing at the stadium. People may be directing their boos at the coaches, but I'm sure the players take it personally though. It also isn't cool when we have recruits on visits.....all sports.

Now booing opponents and other teams........it's a go....Damn I miss Bobby Knight.

I only boo the refs.

Hey all. Long time GH creeper here, finally pulled the trigger and created an account. I look forward in contributing to the madness that is the GH forum.

Also, I apologize that this is off-topic, but I didn't feel as though this introduction needed its own thread.
You picked a good thread for your first post. You have a motorcycle too? Maybe you can help me get this Gopher Motorcycle Club going.

You are exactly right. We received an update that the ticket is being worked on and hope it will be ready soon.

Question for the group - after tough games, would you prefer one mega post-game thread to keep volume of negative threads to a minimum? We can't guarantee it will be an immediate move, but we can combine threads into a larger one which could help.

Yes, please, yes!

And could you, in honor of all the "Official XXXXX is a YYYYY" threads, please name it: "Official Gopherhole (game name here) meltdown thread?"

While these threads make me a bit crazy, they also remind me of a dear friend I lost a few years ago who might have started several after the last game. With the exceptions of a few trolls, and those who would attack individual players, most of the content seems to be a symptom of passion, not meanness.

Gopherhole is one big happy psychotic family.

It 's all Dr. Don's fault for fleeing god's country to that other side of the world where they keep you toasty.

Everything is all dowhill in GH land since you left. :cool02:

You picked a good thread for your first post. You have a motorcycle too? Maybe you can help me get this Gopher Motorcycle Club going.
I think the booing on Saturday also sucked for the Kent State kids. We must be pretty bad for the home team to get booed when they are beating us...

I'm all in on the Gopher Motorcycle Club! Let's get one going.

As crazy as this board can get after a bad game, if you want to see some real nastiness - go to a board that deals with sci-fi and fantasy movies, and post something like "Star Trek is better than Star Wars," or "Star Trek is better than Lord of the Rings." then, sit back and watch the Geek Frenzy. I have seen things posted on Ain't it Cool News that make this board look like Sunday School.

So don't read it, there are very real problems with the team. Many fans like to discuss these things and don't stick their head in the sand.

If what Gopherhole says is impacting the team, it's already over.

They are good people, I'm sure. But they are playing major level football and part of playing is that you will accept the criticism of the fans and media. If the players can't handle it, they are in the wrong place.

Everyone on this site (mostly) hopes the same thing, however that doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't discuss what we see on the field.

Ya, GO Gophers but my gosh, being a Sunday morning quarterback is part of why I watch games. I'd like someplace to praise the good stuff and offer my opinion how they could have done it better. And then hear other people offer their solutions and theories. Coaching high school and smaller college teams this goes on all the time...it's just that it's in your face because there usually isn't a message board. But if there was a message board...why would you possibly pay attention if you are part of the team? Your team, your players can't do it the way some dad thinks is best...if they do they can't play that way or you'll perform horribly as a team. Talk about it, address why we do things the way we do, why it has to be that way, play together the Gopher way and ignore the noise. Why even acknowledge the criticism publicly? Why would you be paying attention to it? Believe in what you are doing. Know it's the right path for your team.

Welcome! Humor is always good!

As crazy as this board can get after a bad game, if you want to see some real nastiness - go to a board that deals with sci-fi and fantasy movies, and post something like "Star Trek is better than Star Wars," or "Star Trek is better than Lord of the Rings." then, sit back and watch the Geek Frenzy. I have seen things posted on Ain't it Cool News that make this board look like Sunday School.

This board is far from crazy. Stop by any SEC message board to see real crazy.

Mods, can we change the title to Negative Waves.

ooct99ttxy8svyjbotua.jpg

There are negative threads because the U is going to charge Viking level prices for an inferior product. The Gopher offense the past two games has been so bad that they will be lucky, if they don't improve, to beat Purdue or Illinois. Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa could all be blowout losses.

You are exactly right. We received an update that the ticket is being worked on and hope it will be ready soon.

Question for the group - after tough games, would you prefer one mega post-game thread to keep volume of negative threads to a minimum? We can't guarantee it will be an immediate move, but we can combine threads into a larger one which could help.

I'd prefer it the way it is I guess. You'll never get everyone happy.

I have no problem with constructive criticism, with a strong emphasis on constructive. But I don’t believe that saying a 20 year old kid “sucks” is constructive. And I understand that frustrated fans often post things that they would not once they have cooled down. The posters that I do have a problem with are those who insist that Minnesota is never going to be competitive, or is unlikely to be competitive, especially when they seem to take delight in Minnesota setbacks so that they can say, sometimes in effect, “I told you so.” At the moment we seem to be cursed with a couple of such posters. I’m sure that most of you know who I have in mind.
In response to the monitors query re post game melt down posts, I tend to agree that consolidating them might be a good idea. At the same time, I continue to have problems with “All Things” threads. The problem I have is that they tend to deteriorate into tangential exchanges. That might not be a problem for those who are active posters, but for those of us who are not, it often means trying to figure out where the meaningful discussions begin. Updating the thread title is helpful, but it still doesn’t do much to help a poster like me find the start point for the meaningful new development.

Top Bottom