Official "stop the official negative threads" threads

gopherinorlando

Reaction score
I may be the only one, but I am tired of reading how some of you think "so and so sucks" or "so and so isn't a Division 1 whatever". Enough is enough already, and now it could possibly be a distraction to the team. These are good college young people and good coaches who represent the university of Minnesota very well on an off the field. It's time to stop this personal, negative nonsense and support this team through thick and thin. Nobody knows better what they have and what they need to do than coach Kill and company. What struggles they are having now are just a minor bump in the road in the big picture and they will figure them out.

While I agree with your sentiment.......if you think this thread is going to change anything........think again. Just another thread to pile onto the heap.

Personally, I like coming on here when i'm feeling down about the gophers because most of the whining seems unrealistic when you actually see it written down, not just spinning around inside your own head. Hopefully it's cathartic for the people who do write it down and then they move on on go back to being guardedly hopeful we are on the right track.

I agree with the sentiment of the original post.
How does this piling on help anything?
How does booing the team help them perform better?
I have been, and will continue to be supportive of the players we are fielding and the coaching staff - even if I don't always understand the playcalling.
Go Gophers!

How does booing the team help them perform better?

If we don't boo that means that we are accepting mediocrity. /sarcasm

I'm with the OP. This place becomes even more of a cesspool in-season. Not too long ago I used to post several times/day. Now I get through the first half of a few threads and then I just leave in disgust.

Everyone on the team should get a participation trophy at the end of the year. Don't want any of them to have hurt feelings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If we don't boo that means that we are accepting mediocrity. /sarcasm

I'm with the OP. This place becomes even more of a cesspool in-season. Not too long ago I used to post several times/day. Now I get through the first half of a few threads and then I just leave in disgust.

I've noticed some boards (to inspire thought and civility) allow you to vote on Thumbs-up/Thumbs-down on that particular post. They also issue "power-ratings" which provide a lurker with a credibility guide. I think that sort of feature would be excellent.

By the way, I would give your post a thumbs-up. GoldenUMNGopher would get a thumbs-down.

What's the point of a message board if fans can't post their thoughts, rational or otherwise? Everyone is free to ignore any threads they don't want to read

The negative threads won't stop. They can't stop.

I do like the "ignore" feature but realize it is often undone when people insist on using "reply with quote". I hate that because it often forces me to read the stuff I'd rather ignore. I use the ignore feature to eliminate trolls and sky-is-falling mouth breathers from my view. There are lots of sky-is-falling mouth breathers right now. The offense and the team isn't as good as I had hoped so far, but after any loss or a win like the one we had this past Saturday, I always take a break from GopherHole to let the mouth breathers spew their stupid ideas, and complain. It just won't stop. It has gone on since long before I found this board. I just do my best to work around it and take a break when needed. It is too bad it is so difficult to have good discussions about the team's shortcomings here. I'd like to have a sane conversation about things like the offensive difficulties, suspect play calling, and the pattern of thin skin comments that are made by Kill when times get tough. Good topics to explore but unlikely ones to end in valuable discussion due to all the calls for firings, jerking QB's on every incompletion, etc. that accompany every Gopher loss (or win that isn't impressive enough).

I have seen enough this season to wonder if this team won't duplicate the previous two year seasons in wins. But, I'll be there to enjoy Gopher football either way, and I am hopeful big strides are made in the coming weeks to get the offense in gear. Meanwhile, I guess I will have to count tough times like this as a blessing as it allows me to more quickly identify those unrealistic mouth breathers for a trip to my "ignore list" shed.

I may be the only one, but I am tired of reading how some of you think "so and so sucks" or "so and so isn't a Division 1 whatever". Enough is enough already, and now it could possibly be a distraction to the team. These are good college young people and good coaches who represent the university of Minnesota very well on an off the field. It's time to stop this personal, negative nonsense and support this team through thick and thin. Nobody knows better what they have and what they need to do than coach Kill and company. What struggles they are having now are just a minor bump in the road in the big picture and they will figure them out.
You're not the only one! I think there are many fans who agree with you, including myself!

What's the point of a message board if fans can't post their thoughts, rational or otherwise? Everyone is free to ignore any threads they don't want to read

Bingo. I get sick of excessively angry and relentless negativity too but this Pollyanna view is simply inane. Is this the first message board this poster ever visited? I would say that the president of the United States (whomever that may be at a particular time), deserves at least as much respect as a Gopher football coach but the ugliness directed at the occupants of that office over the age of the internet message boards far surpasses most anything written about Gopher athletic participants on this board.

The negative threads won't stop. They can't stop.

I do like the "ignore" feature but realize it is often undone when people insist on using "reply with quote". I hate that because it often forces me to read the stuff I'd rather ignore. I use the ignore feature to eliminate trolls and sky-is-falling mouth breathers from my view. There are lots of sky-is-falling mouth breathers right now. The offense and the team isn't as good as I had hoped so far, but after any loss or a win like the one we had this past Saturday, I always take a break from GopherHole to let the mouth breathers spew their stupid ideas, and complain. It just won't stop. It has gone on since long before I found this board. I just do my best to work around it and take a break when needed. It is too bad it is so difficult to have good discussions about the team's shortcomings here. I'd like to have a sane conversation about things like the offensive difficulties, suspect play calling, and the pattern of thin skin comments that are made by Kill when times get tough. Good topics to explore but unlikely ones to end in valuable discussion due to all the calls for firings, jerking QB's on every incompletion, etc. that accompany every Gopher loss (or win that isn't impressive enough).

I have seen enough this season to wonder if this team won't duplicate the previous two year seasons in wins. But, I'll be there to enjoy Gopher football either way, and I am hopeful big strides are made in the coming weeks to get the offense in gear. Meanwhile, I guess I will have to count tough times like this as a blessing as it allows me to more quickly identify those unrealistic mouth breathers for a trip to my "ignore list" shed.

I don't know if I'm on your "ignore" list, but I need to do this. If I'm not on the list, I apologize for using "include quote" and will try to refrain. It's too bad there can't be exclusive threads to prevent evil trolls and haters so we could enjoy the healthy discussion about the team.

One thing I've noticed is that if you post here and do nothing put post negative comments, putting players, coaches or the team down, you'll eventually lose your privilege to post here.

I may be the only one, but I am tired of reading how some of you think "so and so sucks" or "so and so isn't a Division 1 whatever".
So don't read it, there are very real problems with the team. Many fans like to discuss these things and don't stick their head in the sand.

Enough is enough already, and now it could possibly be a distraction to the team.
If what Gopherhole says is impacting the team, it's already over.

These are good college young people and good coaches who represent the university of Minnesota very well on an off the field. It's time to stop this personal, negative nonsense and support this team through thick and thin. Nobody knows better what they have and what they need to do than coach Kill and company.
They are good people, I'm sure. But they are playing major level football and part of playing is that you will accept the criticism of the fans and media. If the players can't handle it, they are in the wrong place.

What struggles they are having now are just a minor bump in the road in the big picture and they will figure them out.
Everyone on this site (mostly) hopes the same thing, however that doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't discuss what we see on the field.

If what Gopherhole says is impacting the team, it's already over.

Your inability to comprehend this facet of sports demonstrates your ignorance of a fairly universal theory that is celebrated everywhere. You should look up "12th man." Whether the concept actually works is subjective, I suppose, but Kill has said from the beginning (and since at least when he first became a head coach) that fan support is important to the success of the team. I guess, unless you've experienced it, you probably can't understand.

Your inability to comprehend this facet of sports demonstrates your ignorance of a fairly universal theory that is celebrated everywhere. You should look up "12th man." Whether the concept actually works is subjective, I suppose, but Kill has said from the beginning (and since at least when he first became a head coach) that fan support is important to the success of the team. I guess, unless you've experienced it, you probably can't understand.

I've always thought the 12th man refers to the fans in the stadium, not people on an anonymous message board. Positive and negative opinions are the object of a message board. Yes I agree some people are over the top at times(myself included), and some people are just not meant to be here.

Start looking at the numbers of the people on the board at times and you realize you are going to get Zillions of different thoughts.......such is life.

And though some of us complain about the mods at times, the do a pretty good job considering the number of posters and amount of traffic. BUT FIX THE CHAT ROOM.:)

BUT FIX THE CHAT ROOM.:)

I would imagine the chat room feature is a bolt-on third-party program that the mods here have no control over. They probably have a "ticket" in to get them, or their tech team to look at it.

I would imagine the chat room feature is a bolt-on third-party program that the mods here have no control over. They probably have a "ticket" in to get them, or their tech team to look at it.

You are exactly right. We received an update that the ticket is being worked on and hope it will be ready soon.

Question for the group - after tough games, would you prefer one mega post-game thread to keep volume of negative threads to a minimum? We can't guarantee it will be an immediate move, but we can combine threads into a larger one which could help.

...would you prefer one mega post-game thread to keep volume of negative threads to a minimum?

Good Lawd Yes!

Can I get an AMEN!

Actually, there could probably be a lot of consolidating threads, but the person-hours might not make it reasonable.

Question for the group - after tough games, would you prefer one mega post-game thread to keep volume of negative threads to a minimum? We can't guarantee it will be an immediate move, but we can combine threads into a larger one which could help.
Would help with the smaller threads but the ones "Is X A Div-1 X" are discussions that cover multiple games, and should be left as is.

The booing was directed at our OC and HC who get paid big money to do something they love and would probably do for peanuts at the lowest levels. They deserved it. Kill seems to relish in the adoration he has received, but seems to have thin skin for any critism. Booing the kids is unacceptable, but it was clearly directed at the play calling, not the players.

Fan support is what is being given here. There are problems, fans are giving discussion on those problems and what they think needs to be done. Just because it isn't all "positive" doesn't mean it isn't intended to help the program, ignoring your problems will never make you better and Kill and company know that more than anyone else.

Fan support is what is being given here. There are problems, fans are giving discussion on those problems and what they think needs to be done. Just because it isn't all "positive" doesn't mean it isn't intended to help the program, ignoring your problems will never make you better and Kill and company know that more than anyone else.

Everything is cool! Everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team!

Yes, please.

You're a bit delusional my man. First off I'd suggest you go browse the boards of the teams who lost or played poorly this week and let us know if you see a lot more positivity than on here. I'll wait. Every board for pro and college is full of passionate, obsessive fans that likely lean towards delusional optimism or pessimism regarding their team. The nature of boards like this is to have more critical posts than positive because people in general feel the need to release their frustration more than their happiness and people IRL are also less receptive to hearing others complain. So if you think you're going to find a board with all roses then you're not living in reality.

Second, the vast majority of fans still don't post on message boards. Of the 50k people in TCF on a given Saturday I doubt much more than 10% are truly aware of GH and less than 5% ever post (the GH member list shows 6,606). So I have no idea why you think people complaining about poor play here has any real, tangible negative affect on stadium fan support. And if that was the case then we'd see some real toxic environments at the stadiums of those programs with tens of thousands of message board members

Enough is enough!

+1 Enough is enough, grow up and that includes the media pussies who thought Kill was "inappropriate" at the press conference. As the second son of a hard drinking livestock buyer I can give them a lesson in inappropriate language if they are confused ! Kill's press conference was not it.

It is one thing to criticize but quite another to make really, really stupid criticisms like SG and GW.

The booing was directed at our OC and HC who get paid big money to do something they love and would probably do for peanuts at the lowest levels. They deserved it. Kill seems to relish in the adoration he has received, but seems to have thin skin for any critism. Booing the kids is unacceptable, but it was clearly directed at the play calling, not the players.

Was at the game and agree with this. Most people around us were unhappy with the coaching and playcalling.

Top Bottom