***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

With Mo injured and Potts out, it is Wiley and Williams. Not good going into a tough game.

Mo looked fine in the postgame interview. He was holding onto his shoulder pads around his neck with both hands. Didn't look like he was favoring one arm or hand badly. I'd be almost certain he plays next week

I'm not a big fan of some of the play calling, but to me that's a small part of coaching.
Does the team execute it's offense well.
Do they get penalized.
Do you develop talent.
Do you recruit talent.

Do you get your kids motivated to play every play, every down.

I think PJ is excellent at several of these categories. How he calls a time out or a given play call I'll disagree with but that's a tiny fraction of a game.

Consider tonight, you take everything that went wrong, and PJ still wins the game. If he makes the right decision, we win by 10, or maybe still by 3 or 4.

As fans we over-estimate the value put in that, but if you have the Joes, you'll overcome a lot of that.
If you don't turn over the ball, you'll win a lot more games.
If your kids aren't making stupid penalties, that puts more pressure on the other team.

He's excellent on discipline, good recruiter, excellent motivator.

I have yet to see a game since he started where you would say the kids aren't putting out the effort.
Enjoying the defensive talent this year?

I will never forget an infamous ending against Purdue in those days. It was overtime and a Purdue receiver caught the ball out of the back of the endzone. The weird markings confused the ref. There was no doubt he was out of bounds but no replay back then. As I walked out of the Dome stomping mad that stupid Purdue train was blaring its horn. Join the club, Purdue. We've all been there.

It was actually the Gopher receiver that caught the ball in bounds but was called out of bounds in OT that cost the Gophers the game. I get your point though!

That PI was actually smart... He knew that Nubin was late coming over and if he didn't wrap up the receiver it was an easy TD. Smart play by Swenson
If you get beat for a TD to go ahead... yeah you drag that guy down and roll around in those flags and ball "hell yeah I did it!"

I'm not a big fan of some of the play calling, but to me that's a small part of coaching.
Does the team execute it's offense well.
Do they get penalized.
Do you develop talent.
Do you recruit talent.
Do you get your kids motivated to play every play, every down.

I think PJ is excellent at several of these categories. How he calls a time out or a given play call I'll disagree with but that's a tiny fraction of a game.

Consider tonight, you take everything that went wrong, and PJ still wins the game. If he makes the right decision, we win by 10, or maybe still by 3 or 4.

As fans we over-estimate the value put in that, but if you have the Joes, you'll overcome a lot of that.
If you don't turn over the ball, you'll win a lot more games.
If your kids aren't making stupid penalties, that puts more pressure on the other team.

He's excellent on discipline, good recruiter, excellent motivator.

I have yet to see a game since he started where you would say the kids aren't putting out the effort.

That's great and all but when you're making the same mistakes over and over and can't adapt... you're not a great coach. Everyone and their dog could see what was slowly happening at the end of the game, I know I wasn't the only one... and we got lucky / bailed out.

Reactions: MRJ

Brohm choosing his bank account in the post-game presser.

Well. I'm not feeling bad at all for Brohm and the Purdue MFrs. They make a practice of holding on the edge runs (that rarely get called), running questionable pick plays, and doing a lot of hand fighting from receivers. Refs hopefully catch on to that eventually.

What about how the Offense went into run run 3rd and long... and slowly let Purdue get back in it. That's how we lost to Maryland. That's how we lost to Iowa. The first three quarters, our offense was great, balanced play calling. Then we resort to run run run.
And without Mo in the game, really questionable play calling.

Enjoying the defensive talent this year?
We have great defensive talent in the pipeline. Very happy with what's coming.
We're in a bit of a gap year defensively. Explained this at least 3 times prior on this forum.
Landing talented HS players is not the issue. We're doing very well with that. The 2017-2018 class isn't great nor experienced. But 2019-2021 all look very good so far.

Gopher Men sweep defending champs Penn State. Then the Gophers win a game when a questionable call goes their way! Yeah, know that there were some questions with play-calling and they're now only 2-3, but come on, just go with it!

Don't feel good about any of that. We are still really bad. Offense showed some improvement I guess.
Don't ever, ever, EVER NOT feel good about a win. At the end of the day, that's how the game is measured and winning is fantastic and losing absolutely f'ng sucks.

A week from now it's going to look like a win on the schedule. Nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about at all. The Gophers ended the game with more points on the board than Purdue.

That PI was actually smart... He knew that Nubin was late coming over and if he didn't wrap up the receiver it was an easy TD. Smart play by Swenson
So Swenson played well. Took down Moore several times. Seems to have decent FB IQ, and he is big and physical—a sure tackler. Maybe he gets more playing time in coming games?

I wonder how different this game looks if we didn't have 20 players out.

Glad we get an extra day to prepare for wisconsin.
Ya, because 3 them have actually played all year on defense. And a tight end who looks good in the uniform was out.

Well. I'm not feeling bad at all for Brohm and the Purdue MFrs. They make a practice of holding on the edge runs (that rarely get called), running questionable pick plays, and doing a lot of hand fighting from receivers. Refs hopefully catch on to that eventually.
A Gopher fan complaining about the refs after THAT game..... wow.

More pissed at Fleck than anything. I have no doubt he'll crowd surf his team like they actually achieved something tonight, but his willingness to give the opposition every chance in the book to win week after week is extremely tiresome. And sad part is how easily predictable it is.

It's becoming all too clear that these kids are going to have to win in spite of their coaches, who obviously have no clue how to manage the team late in games.

It's utterly ridiculous.
Get real
We won. Don't ever knock winning.
Players played hard. Even if they scored we probably would have come back and scored

Brohm was not happy in his interview, but he couldn't say much... but yeah show him the dPI phantom call that extended and turned the drive into a TD. Stop crying Brohm!

Top Bottom