***OFFICIAL PENN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

100% right, Gabe can NOT create his own shot. I doubt you can find the stats but feels like when he is not 100% set he shoots roughly 8%, while when he is totally set and gets a pass its about 75% good. I think this is so weird, sure maybe not as effective but his splits are crazy.

And as nice as it is to have 2 guys like Carr/Oturu leading the way, we absolutely have to have one (two would be better) of Gabe/Willis/Williams to get going consistently. That is one thing Demir has brought, hes been steady eddy out there the last 5-8 games, those 3 wings are just all over the place with production.

He created his own shot a couple of times against Penn State, he looked fluid and he shot with confidence, he hesitates to do it but I'm wondering if looking for shots another way won't get him out of his slump.

The Gophers fell to 80 on KenPom in defense and are up to 15 in his metrics on offense after this game. I don't think the defense is that bad, or the offense that good, but it's clear to me that defense is the area where this team can improve most drastically. I'd be interested in hearing from builtbadgers about what he sees as the issue there.

With Gabe, I wonder if he's simply in his own head a bit. The sequence in the first half where he missed the corner 3, got his own rebound, then made the baseline jumper leads me to believe that might be the case. The baseline mid range shot is a much more difficult shot that he practices far less than the corner 3, but he had to shoot it quickly and he drained it. In the second half, Gabe had a number of wide open 3's and missed them all. Those are shots he's capable of making at a clip above 50% (the wide open ones, not his overall %). My guess is that it will turn around soon, but you'd almost rather it be a mechanical issue than a mental one. Sometimes all it takes is one shot to find its way in to the bucket to get back on track.

The Gophers fell to 80 on KenPom in defense and are up to 15 in his metrics on offense after this game. I don't think the defense is that bad, or the offense that good, but it's clear to me that defense is the area where this team can improve most drastically. I'd be interested in hearing from builtbadgers about what he sees as the issue there.

With Gabe, I wonder if he's simply in his own head a bit. The sequence in the first half where he missed the corner 3, got his own rebound, then made the baseline jumper leads me to believe that might be the case. The baseline mid range shot is a much more difficult shot that he practices far less than the corner 3, but he had to shoot it quickly and he drained it. In the second half, Gabe had a number of wide open 3's and missed them all. Those are shots he's capable of making at a clip above 50% (the wide open ones, not his overall %). My guess is that it will turn around soon, but you'd almost rather it be a mechanical issue than a mental one. Sometimes all it takes is one shot to find its way in to the bucket to get back on track.

No it wouldnt

Just got around to watching the game, too stressful to watch some of these games live. Marcus Carr's stamina, composure, skills are really impressive. Defense pressures him 90 feet the whole game - yawn. I loved Nate Mason, but I think Carr is better. Announcer just said Oturu has no weakness - has improved so much. At this point, are we close to having two first team all conference players? As usual, our bench is fun to watch - good to see the buy in, even from the guys who aren't getting playing time.

Great atmosphere last night. I love it when the crowd turns on the ref's. The little guy (ref) was going back n forth with some fans next to me. He seemed to have a good sense of humor despite being terrible at his job.
That vertically challenged ref was horrible - both ways. I didn't see him interacting with the crowd, but did notice him smiling/laughing quite a bit. I took it as being very smug. Gets a bit of "power" and thinks he's the man. #napoleoncomplex

Top Bottom