***OFFICIAL NORTHWESTERN AT MINNESOTA SENIOR DAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

They've won every game they should have. And one in which they were not favored. They took a top 10 team into overtime on the road. And should have won that game. They lost to a top 20 helmet school, on the road, with a chance to win on the last drive of the game. The other game, they lost by seven with a chance to win/tie on the last drive. Sorry, but your version of this season is overly pessimistic. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

I agree completely. When is the last season we have either won or been in it to the final seconds?

In the Mason years we would win against the inferior teams then get blown out in games like @PSU or at @NE this year. Brewster no need to comment. Wacker was a consistent 4 wins/year.

Reality is we are not far away from winning the west (a couple plays away this year) AND improving. A lot of young talent on both sides of the ball.

Now is the absolute wrong time for wholesale changes in the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The decision re HC really boils down to our expectations for the program. I believe we need to aim higher than we have been for the past 30 years or so, since Holtz bolted for Notre Dame. I want to see us be able to recruit the stud athletes that IA and WI get. Part of that is "system". If we stay with "3 yards and a cloud of dust" it'll continue to look like pulling teeth out there for us. In those rare seasons when the schedule is friendly we will win 7-8 games and play in a lower tier bowl game on Dec. 30. No studs will/need apply.

The only true heavyweight on the schedule this year is WI, our one-time "rival". They own us presently. Let's see how this one plays out before committing to 4-5 more years of this staff.

The only true heavyweight on the schedule this year is WI, our one-time "rival". They own us presently. Let's see how this one plays out before committing to 4-5 more years of this staff.

So Penn State isn't a heavyweight? I'd add Nebraska to that list also. I know we didn't win these games (we should have) but Wisconsin is not the only good team we will have played this year.

The decision re HC really boils down to our expectations for the program. I believe we need to aim higher than we have been for the past 30 years or so, since Holtz bolted for Notre Dame. I want to see us be able to recruit the stud athletes that IA and WI get. Part of that is "system". If we stay with "3 yards and a cloud of dust" it'll continue to look like pulling teeth out there for us. In those rare seasons when the schedule is friendly we will win 7-8 games and play in a lower tier bowl game on Dec. 30. No studs will/need apply.

The last time we aimed "higher" we got Tim Brewster, that worked out well. Claeys in his First Year as a Full Time Head Coach won 8 games and has an opportunity to win 10. O yeah, this is coming off of a 5 win season last year. We graduate one of the smallest senior classes in the country and have a group of studs who are underclassmen. Shouldn't we be "gasp" excited for the future. Seriously what issues can you have with the program at this moment?

"Aim higher" is kind of a general statement. Can you provide some specifics? You know, so we can give the recipe for the secret sauce to the powers that be and we can get the ship righted before the game in Madison next week.

Awesome, the 1st year argument again...<b>if you don't understand that Claeys isn't being treated like a typical 1st year head coach </b>because he and most of his assistants have been here for 6 years, then I can't help you.

Awesome, this silly "he isn't a first year coach" argument. What I understand is YOU are not treating him as a first year coach. Most of us who don't have an anti-TC agenda realize he had zero impact on our offense prior to this year and in case you haven't picked up on it yet - the offense is what limits this team. He did what he thought could correct that on basically day 1 of being a HC yet you still want to hold it against him. Can't help me? Priceless.

Awesome, this silly "he isn't a first year coach" argument. What I understand is YOU are not treating him as a first year coach. Most of us who don't have an anti-TC agenda realize he had zero impact on our offense prior to this year and in case you haven't picked up on it yet - the offense is what limits this team. He did what he thought could correct that on basically day 1 of being a HC yet you still want to hold it against him. Can't help me? Priceless.

Claeys himself said it's year 6 of the program. Go ahead and continue to ignore that.

As I've already mentioned, the assistants that have been here for 6 years, are mostly responsible for the lack of talent at the skill positions on offense. I also mentioned in this thread that the offense was better against better competition after Cleays became head coach last year with Limegrover as the coordinator. It's been worse against worse competition this year under Claeys/Johnson. Where is the help on offense going to come from? Next year's recruiting class doesn't offer much hope.

I don't have an anti-TC agenda. The Gophers should be able to contend for West titles. They are not again this year, even with an easy schedule.

I don't have an anti-TC agenda. The Gophers should be able to contend for West titles. They are not again this year, even with an easy schedule.

I see, you don't have an anti-TC agenda - you just expect him to accomplish what no other coach has here, and to do so in his first year because he has some of the same assistants as the previous coach who never accomplished more than TC has this year --- oh, and us to assume that the QB coach and OC that were fired had very little to do with recruiting the current QB and offensive players, or at the very least less than last year's DC and some other assistants with defensive or different position coach titles. OK, I see your point now.

Stick to the weather man. You are delusional and have a very transparent agenda.

I see, you don't have an anti-TC agenda - you just expect him to accomplish what no other coach has here, and to do so in his first year because he has some of the same assistants as the previous coach who never accomplished more than TC has this year --- oh, and us to assume that the QB coach and OC that were fired had very little to do with recruiting the current QB and offensive players, or at the very least less than last year's DC and some other assistants with defensive or different position coach titles. OK, I see your point now.

Stick to the weather man. You are delusional and have a very transparent agenda.

All I stated was fact. I guess you see fact as delusion.

I'll be as excited as anyone if the Gophers win back the axe next week and Claeys earns a three year extension.

They've contended two of last 3 years. With help they can tie for division. If it's year 6, they've won 8 games in 3 of last 4 years. For 5 of the last 6 years the team, at times, didn't know who the HC would be on a week to week basis.

Top Bottom