***OFFICIAL NORTHWESTERN AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Are you sure it's not just college basketball that is bad. Very few teams loaded with experienced players that have played multiyear's on the same team anymore.
I’ve seen a lot of poorly played crunch time games this year. Our brain farts against Northwestern are the norm not the exception.

Clearly you didn't watch the halftime free throw shooting contest at Saturday's game. Those two students showed a shocking display of shooting ineptitude. 😱😏
Silver lining to me having to miss the game. I imagine it would have hurt my eyes and maybe induced nausea.

Are you sure it's not just college basketball that is bad. Very few teams loaded with experienced players that have played multiyear's on the same team anymore.
It certainly could be, but the big ten underperformed in non conf relative to other conferences. Big ten projects way fewer teams than typical.

Clearly you didn't watch the halftime free throw shooting contest at Saturday's game. Those two students showed a shocking display of shooting ineptitude. 😱😏
2-0 shutout for Muhammed. The two of them probably shot a combined 2-30?

The level of parity across college basketball is off the charts these days. There are always going to be those consistently good top teams but after that it often comes down to a tossup in most games where it could legit go either way based on which team shows up on a given night.

I feel like all but the most uncoordinated people on the planet can be trained to make at least two-thirds of their free throws. It's a skill, like factory work. Making widgets.
Correct, once the mechanics are ingrained. Bucs field goal kicker hit 94% this year from all distances and all weather conditions. Compare that to making a simple free throw from 15 feet inside.

The elation, I suspect, has more to with clinging to the first evidence in 2.5 years that their opinions might be right. There are a select few who seemingly cannot comment on the game, coaching, outcomes, without making it about themselves. Their interest in this board appears rooted in their desire to be correct and not in being part of a broader fanbase. when their posts are strictly basketball, I enjoy reading and reacting. When they pat themselves on the back, I’m reminded of how low the bar has dropped.

CBJ has done enough to earn another year imo, but this is a really really really bad big ten.
Best to view this forum as pure comic entertainment. I always ignore the game day thread until it’s over. Then it’s a blast going through the posts in search of Howdyisms from Howdy and the Doodies.

You can’t buy more fun.

Best to view this forum as pure comic entertainment. I always ignore the game day thread until it’s over. Then it’s a blast going through the posts in search of Howdyisms from Howdy and the Doodies.

You can’t buy more fun.
I'm amazed we still have a coach after how many times he's been fired at halftime.

It certainly could be, but the big ten underperformed in non conf relative to other conferences. Big ten projects way fewer teams than typical.
You're right, big ten under performed but I've watched Kansas a few times, definately not dominating like they have been, watched the Duke/North Carolina game, good teams but not like they used to be.

Wisconsin was rated in the top ten and a couple of plays go the other way for the Gophers against the Badgers and they would be tied or a half game behind them in conference play.

Any great teams out there? Maybe Connecticut.

Unless I missed it, I can't believe this hasn't been brought up yet.

Mitchel getting trapped and throwing the ball away to the corner was so unbelievably reminiscent of Kevin Burleson against the Illini in 2001. It frightened me. I cannot believe Buie didn't make that layup and three point play to win the game. The fact that he didn't is maybe a good sign something will go our way for once.

I’ve seen a lot of poorly played crunch time games this year. Our brain farts against Northwestern are the norm not the exception.
Very common in the college game. Illinois almost gave their game away against Nebraska, and Purdue made some crazy stupid plays against Wisconsin. Doesn't excuse it, but we are definitely not alone and did a lot more well down the stretch than Illinois or Purdue did in theirs.

Mitchel getting trapped and throwing the ball away to the corner was so unbelievably reminiscent of Kevin Burleson against the Illini in 2001. It frightened me. I cannot believe Buie didn't make that layup and three point play to win the game. The fact that he didn't is maybe a good sign something will go our way for once.
In fairness to Mitchell he did not throw the ball away. Under duress he got an imperfect

In fairness to Mitchell, under duress he threw an imperfect but catchable bounce pass to Garcia. He did not throw the ball away. If Garcia catches it strongly and brings the ball to his chest the defender has to reach around and foul him rather than being able to jar it loose. Yes, bad all around but as much Dawson's fault as Mitchell's,

In fairness to Mitchell he did not throw the ball away. Under duress he got an imperfect

In fairness to Mitchell, under duress he threw an imperfect but catchable bounce pass to Garcia. He did not throw the ball away. If Garcia catches it strongly and brings the ball to his chest the defender has to reach around and foul him rather than being able to jar it loose. Yes, bad all around but as much Dawson's fault as Mitchell's,
Yes. I wasn't assigning fault. Just pointing out that play and the subsequent way we almost lost was amazingly similar to a moment that has been burned badly into many of our memories.

Top Bottom