***OFFICIAL NORTHWESTERN AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD***

I like Jamal, but after rewatching the 2nd half, he gave up 19 on defense. I don’t think it’s effort ... it’s he’s just not big enough. He needs to be better at the point of attack because he doesn’t the physical size to redirect.

Switching also hurts, because he has to be better getting over screens. The whole defensive end turns into a mid-match .

Giving up 19 is a lot to overcome.

It's too bad the team didn't pull a full "reverse Ricky Birdsong" on RP. I would have loved to have seen them just walk off into the empty stands.

Well, if that doesn't stick a fork in the season I don't know what does.

When I finally mustered up the courage to check out the carnage, the gophers were behind and were 1 of 18 from 3pt range. I immediately went back to what I was doing.

Glad to see Pitino allowed the Big guy to heal finally.

Well, if that doesn't stick a fork in the season I don't know what does.

When I finally mustered up the courage to check out the carnage, the gophers were behind and were 1 of 18 from 3pt range. I immediately went back to what I was doing.

Glad to see Pitino allowed the Big guy to heal finally.
There were two basic approaches to Liam's injury: 1) rest him against the tougher opponents and get him healthy for the more winnable games down the stretch or 2) play him against the tougher teams, hoping to win those, and take the risk that you can win against NU and Nebraska without him. In another thread, I pleaded for the first approach; Pitino seems to have strategically and intentionally gone with the second, and it's blowing up in his face.

There were two basic approaches to Liam's injury: 1) rest him against the tougher opponents and get him healthy for the more winnable games down the stretch or 2) play him against the tougher teams, hoping to win those, and take the risk that you can win against NU and Nebraska without him. In another thread, I pleaded for the first approach; Pitino seems to have strategically and intentionally gone with the second, and it's blowing up in his face.
Yeah, selfish coach needs player on the court to save his job.

Someone suggest the basketball team watch Varsity Blues!

I'd argue that they should be able to beat NW and Nebraska without Liam. I also think the way they played they lose to NW last night with Liam anyways. They quit again

I'd argue that they should be able to beat NW and Nebraska without Liam. I also think the way they played they lose to NW last night with Liam anyways. They quit again
The weird thing is...they came out playing great defense and they really hustled their way to that 14 point lead. As soon as NW improved on defense and out shots stopped falling they lost their will. Mentally these guys are just beaten and obviously this coach isn't helping them correct their course.
It appears that Pitino can game plan and get them ready, but he has seemingly no ability to adjust during the game and get players to adapt to what is happening.

I believe that's what Pitino thought as well. He'd rest Liam because he could. Pride goes before a fall. He obviously vastly overestimated our abilities and underestimated Northwestern.

This team was average at best when fully healthy......The B10 record alone should get him fired.....Covid or not the buyout is tiny and should not be a factor.

They were 11-2, with wins against 2 top ten teams and ranked like 15th. They were very good for a time. Then, the rest of the league improved, while we didn't and even got worse. Coaching 100%...

I believe that's what Pitino thought as well. He'd rest Liam because he could. Pride goes before a fall. He obviously vastly overestimated our abilities and underestimated Northwestern.

They should have been able to beat them last night for sure. Did everyone watch the game? That NW team is not very good. There are only a few teams in all of the power 5 conferences that could lose to them in their home building.

Our guys are either dumb, or aren't taught how to play the game. It is that simple. Taking 22 3's and missing 20 doesn't even happen on the blacktop with 6th and 7th graders.

Embarrassing and also what I have been saying forever. Recruit guards with brains.

They were 11-2, with wins against 2 top ten teams and ranked like 15th. They were very good for a time. Then, the rest of the league improved, while we didn't and even got worse. Coaching 100%...

Look at Pitino's 8 years and see what years you felt this team improved and didn't slide at this time of the year. It's the norm not the exception.

Look at Pitino's 8 years and see what years you felt this team improved and didn't slide at this time of the year. It's the norm not the exception.
Yes, I agree. With no offensive sets or defensive identity, this is easy to predict. They don't get better at anything, because they aren't doing anything besides running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
ZERO picks set other than that terrible ball screen on top that actually works in the defenses favor. Zero backcuts, little to no movement in the offense. This is low level high school stuff it is that simple to teach.

All You of Earth are Idiots!

But one thing's sure. Inspector Clay is dead, murdered, and somebody's responsible.

I once had a paperback reference containing a huge collection of brief movie reviews. It had the perfect summary of the plot of Plan 9 from Outer Space: "Two or three aliens in silk pajamas unleash a plan to take over the earth by awaking a few slow moving zombies from a cardboard graveyard."

I usually avoid the whole, the team quit stuff, but the Gophers have a tell in this regard. Whenever Williams passes it right to the opponent and then looks annoyed at teammates.... that is it, the team pretty much gives up.

You're right about that being the norm (more than 50% of the time). However, there are exceptions:

1) the first year team that won the NIT;

2) the 2017 team that won 8 in a row before losing the final regular season game;

3) the 2019 team that won four of five before being stomped by Michigan in the semi-finals of the Big Ten tournament.

Not coincidentally, those are his only good years during his tenure here.

You're right about that being the norm (more than 50% of the time). However, there are exceptions:

1) the first year team that won the NIT;

2) the 2017 team that won 8 in a row before losing the final regular season game;

3) the 2019 team that won four of five before being stomped by Michigan in the semi-finals of the Big Ten tournament.

Not coincidentally, those are his only good years during his tenure here.

1. That shouldn't have been an NIT team. They lost 6 of their last 10.

2. That's the main anomaly and matching your thought on finishing strong leading to their best year.

3. They lost 7 of their last 10 going into the B1G tourney. They don't get in without beating Purdue.

In my head they finished strong in 1 season. I really think the tournament is such a crapshoot so I don't give a ton of credit to it.

2. That's the main anomaly and matching your thought on finishing strong leading to their best year.

3. They lost 7 of their last 10 going into the B1G tourney. They don't get in without beating Purdue.

In my head they finished strong in 1 season. I really think the tournament is such a crapshoot so I don't give a ton of credit to it.
Wasn't just under Pitino...how many years did the gophers blow things down the stretch under Tubby? Coaching aside its just like something we as fans have to deal with no matter who is leading the team.

The NCAA is the reason the season is played, basically. Give me one NCAA title over a conference title.

The NCAA is the reason the season is played, basically. Give me one NCAA title over a conference title.

I care about getting there. I don't hold a coach very accountable on success there. It's a crapshoot and match up based. It's not a fair or good indicator if your coach is good or not.

I like Jamal, but after rewatching the 2nd half, he gave up 19 on defense. I don’t think it’s effort ... it’s he’s just not big enough. He needs to be better at the point of attack because he doesn’t the physical size to redirect.

Switching also hurts, because he has to be better getting over screens. The whole defensive end turns into a mid-match .

Giving up 19 is a lot to overcome.

I've read most of the scouting reports this year that discuss Jamal. The constant big knock as far as how to play against him use his lack of size to the other teams advantage

I agree in a different way. I dont think anyone knows this, but it really depends on when the injury first occurred. Because he hasnt been practicing for a while.

From what i could see, it was at least since 2/16 from a hoosiers article that he HAS BEEN DEALING with an ankle injury.

If we say he got hurt near the start of Feb, I would have rested him strategically, so he could play again say IL, maybe not Rutgers, NB, or even Indiana.

But we'll never know. Rick didnt play this one correct

Top Bottom