***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

This is the first win in the Johnson era in which defense played a key role in the win.

I’m withholding complete judgment until we see what Nebraska is like against the rest of the league. Not sure what our points off turnovers was, but it was high. Our normally weak on defense guards were much better than theirs last night.
The win at tOSU last year and the win at Michigan the first year featured strong defense.

I completely agree about withholding judgement. This could be a fluke or, possibly, the start of something. No bold predictions about this situation, especially after I finally threw in the towel on the Johnson era last week. :)

I completely agree about withholding judgement. This could be a fluke or, possibly, the start of something. No bold predictions about this situation, especially after I finally threw in the towel on the Johnson era last week. :)
Rest of the season will determine Johnson's fate but hopefully a showing like last night will calm down the "fire the coach now" crowd. Let things play out and see what happens.

Need to have consistency. These massive swings aren't ideal.

I don't think Nebraska is a great team, I still expect more in year 3. Never hurts to win, but let's see some consistent winning against Power Conference Teams.

Apologies on the negativity, I would just think beating NEB at home in year 3 would be a given.

View attachment 28828
Hawkins can be frustrating at times, but man we are way more dynamic offensively when he is in the game.

I really appreciate you posting these detailed box scores with the pluses and minuses. Sometimes that number can be a little ambiguous but, when it comes to Hawkins last night, it tells a very clear story. Outscored the opposition by 22 points when he was in and were outscored by the opposition by 11 points in the 5 + minutes that he didn't play!

You couldn't judge his impact on the game simply by looking at his individual numbers. His stats certainly were good enough but the number of assists and the number of free throw attempts were the only things that jump out. He and Ola-Joseph brought the passion and determination and their examples were contagious.

The difference tonight was we played great defense in the second half. By far the best hustle I have seen from a CBJ team. Furthermore, players like JOJ, Mitchell, Hawkins and Carrington- played like they belonged in the Big Ten. Very fun to see
Wondering if Ben hasn't been searching for this kind of passion and effort from his team all season long. Generally it's a pretty young team out there, or for some players, a big jump in competitive difficulty.

I've talked to a lot of coaches over the years that love their talent, but also mention how hard it is to get players to understand just how hard they consistently need to play to get results. Getting everybody up to that extra gear that they don't realize they have. Most of the college and J.C. coaches I've talked to have mentioned that challenge at one point or another. It only takes some players a month of training camp to get it, it can take others a season or two for it to sink in.

I keep thinking back to watching Garcia from the first part of last season to the end of the season. Didn't it seem like there was a huge jump in passion, energy and effort as the season went on? I'm wondering, based on the second half of the last two games, if that isn't part of the process happening now.

Need to have consistency. These massive swings aren't ideal.

I don't think Nebraska is a great team, I still expect more in year 3. Never hurts to win, but let's see some consistent winning against Power Conference Teams.

Apologies on the negativity, I would just think beating NEB at home in year 3 would be a given.

Nebraska is not a great team but they certainly were higher regarded than the Gophers coming into the season and were favorites on our home court last night.

I disagree strongly with one statement above. Beating Nebraska in year 3 without the player who, up to this point, meant more to his team than any player in the league other than Zach Eady, definitely was not a given!

I keep thinking back to watching Garcia from the first part of last season to the end of the season. Didn't it seem like there was a huge jump in passion, energy and effort as the season went on? I'm wondering, based on the second half of the last two games, if that isn't part of the process happening now.

I hope so. Let's see if they can replicate those efforts during the rest of the season.

I’m withholding complete judgment until we see what Nebraska is like against the rest of the league.

You know, I'm assuming you're here because you are a fan. You're not in the role of a banker deciding whether to grant a $50 million dollar loan so clear displays of caution and judiciousness really aren't necessary.

If you don't think last night's performance by a team that was an underdog to start the game and then had to play almost the entire game without a player who was considered absolutely indespensable to his team's success isn't something worth celebrating, then I don't know what to say.

Thelyear featured strong defense.

Ben threw it back - it’s all good 👍

Nebraska is not a great team but they certainly were higher regarded than the Gophers coming into the season and were favorites on our home court last night.

I disagree strongly with one statement above. Beating Nebraska in year 3 without the player who, up to this point, meant more to his team than any player in the league other than Zach Eady, definitely was not a given!
Meaning when you hired a coach 3 years ago, you expected to beat NEB at home 3 years later.

I've been told in other posts sometimes its not the coaches fault the players just play bad, maybe the opposite happened last night. 😁

Kidding aside, great game by CBJ and crew, they clearly had something click. The team from the 2nd half of the Mizzou and the first half of Nebraska goes winless in the big ten. The inverse of that team is a middle of the pack conference team who could get into the tournament. The likelihood is that they are somewhere in the middle of that meaning 5-7 conf wins.

I stand by my belief Johnson is not at all the right guy, but that 2nd half certainly gives me reasons to say I am wrong about that take.
Well stated

Part of the weirdness of this whole thing is that the team played their best ball of the year without Garcia on the floor. I'm not sure what that means.

What it means is that the remainder of the team realized that their backs were against the wall and they were going to live instead of die.

Someone else posted a great line about the performance: "Burn the boats men. We're not going back across the river. We're going to fight or die."

IMO, you play Garcia and Payne the majority of minutes at the 4/5 and then play Fox, Ihnen, JOJ the remaining minutes depending upon matchup, hot hand, etc.

Barring injury or a blowout, I would try to avoid playing another minute of the season without 3 of Mitchell, Hawkins, Christie or Carrington on the floor. So minutes could be a bit tougher to come by for some of our role players.
Your in a trance. JOJ is not a role player. He's a Big Ten starter. Often we will have three guards playing, often we will not.

Wondering if Ben hasn't been searching for this kind of passion and effort from his team all season long. Generally it's a pretty young team out there, or for some players, a big jump in competitive difficulty.
Teams seem to take on the attitude of their head coach and CBJ seems too laid back sometimes. I wonder if he finally snapped at halftime and the team responded accordingly?

What it means is that the remainder of the team realized that their backs were against the wall and they were going to live instead of die.

Someone else posted a great line about the performance: "Burn the boats men. We're not going back across the river. We're going to fight or die."
Obviously, the most successful teams play with a high level of urgency and intensity more of the time than this team has this season.

Meaning when you hired a coach 3 years ago, you expected to beat NEB at home 3 years later.

Well, I wouldn't know what you're talking about. Psychologically, I live a season one game at a time. I guess I'm a little like Fleck in that regard. This was our "Nebraska championship season."

That was DarthGopher. Also added how Gophers made Nebraska “their bitches” in the second half, if memory serves. (Seemed historical, colorful and….sleazy in one fell swoop).

Well stated
While some worry about how many conference wins we will get and that Ben is not the right guy, there was a great game last night featuring a second half domination rarely seen in sports.

That performance was a lot more important at this moment than how many conference wins we get this year, next year, or some year in the next decade.

Consider this address broadly to the majority of posters here and not just to you. Your posts are solid.

That was DarthGopher. Also added how Gophers made Nebraska “their bitches” in the second half, if memory serves. (Seemed historical, colorful and….sleazy in one fell swoop).

Ah, yes, I remember now. The only thing I didn't like was that little piece of pedestrian vulgarity so I guess it escaped my mind.!

the Gophers were faced with a real challenge. their best player is injured. they're down by 15 points at halftime on their home court.

I do believe you can learn about teams from how they respond to a challenge. in other games over the last two years, the Gophers have not responded well to a challenge. Last night, the team responded very well.

which leads to the question: was last night a fluke - or is this something they can repeat?

when Garcia returns, can the rest of the team maintain the same intensity and not just rely on him to carry the offense?

from that sense, the next four games will be interesting to watch. If Garcia is not 100%, I'd sit him and essentially force the other players to produce the same effort. because that is how the entire team will have to play to win conference games.

Didn’t get to watch it live, but Hawk with another double/double 12 points/11 dishes & 6 boards.
He was excellent despite four unforced turnovers. His greatest liability is his desire to dribble through the lane and heavy traffic trying to find a guy breaking to the bucket for a dunk. It is really neat when it works but low odds. Many of his turnovers are coming while passing in heavy congestion.

This will be a coaching issue going forward. Ben can see this. He is going to need to impress upon Hawkins the risk/reward ratio is very unfavorable.

Hawkins could very well have had 11 assists with no TOs last night.

I've talked to a lot of coaches over the years that love their talent, but also mention how hard it is to get players to understand just how hard they consistently need to play to get results. Getting everybody up to that extra gear that they don't realize they have. Most of the college and J.C. coaches I've talked to have mentioned that challenge at one point or another. It only takes some players a month of training camp to get it, it can take others a season or two for it to sink in.

Most of these guys have been top dog on their high school team and league. Sometimes they square off against teams with a similar top dog, or maybe 2. If they wanted (or needed) to take over a game, they could, almost at will. At the college level, the entire team is made up of top dogs from around the country / world. The level of competition and speed of the game can be a shock to the system. Your quirks, tendencies and flaws will be laid bare on the floor, and equivalent if not better athletes will exploit them for everyone to see. Like you said, some adjust quickly. Some take a season or two. Some never do and flame out.

Your in a trance. JOJ is not a role player. He's a Big Ten starter. Often we will have three guards playing, often we will not.
Yep and he's horrible if he's playing the wing and solid if he's not. I don't mind him playing a lot of minutes, if he's playing the right position.

I know it's annoyed some of you that I harp on this but are you blind? Have you seen how much better we look with three guards playing? Have you seen how much better JOJ looks while playing his position? What I'm harping on isn't revolutionary, it took Robbie Hummel all of 5 minutes to notice. Have you seen how much better Battle looks playing his right position?

Again, this isn't a concept that I thought of like some Gopher basketball version of a Beautiful Mind (without all that genius baggage), this is basketball 101. Talking about playing people in their proper positions really bothers a lot of folks but it's incredibly important in college basketball.

I know, talk about me being in a trance, say some other tough talking BS, and layer in some borderline homoerotic comments about Jack Wilson. It's rinse and repeat with you.

Top Bottom