Official National Championship Game Thread

Lol okay.

1. Saban isn't the one paying
2. Of course it's cool to play there
3. Anyone that gets butthurt about these kids that make millions for the school getting paid is a whiner
We have represented several coaches and players who have been wildly successful in college and in the pro's and they take great pride in playing it straight. They will tell you very few players are ever offered money and that going to University was valued at 500,000 but was worth more than that.

Well this is disappointing.

Why do people make up allegations against kids they know nothing about. Kids on our team would love a chance to be on that team. It is a blast watching such a fantastic team. Herbie said on his radio show that through the roster they have 25 guys that will go in the first two rounds. Saban does not have to pay kids or families. Pete Carroll did not either but Reggie Bush's step father grifted his way in. Kids from all over think it is cool to play for Alabama because it is cool.

Good post B squared.

It's cool to be on a good team, kick huge amount of arse and play for a great coach (only one for me - thanks Dad). I don't think that recipe has changed in 30 years.

My sport management class, which was the class I had with the most athletes, was my easiest class at the U by a mile. There is a reason a lot of athletes end up going for the same majors.

Alabama has now won an FBS-high 8 games in the College Football Playoff, all since 2015.

Kansas has won 9 total games since 2015.

tOSU lobbied the BIG to have a season despite the pandemic so they could compete for a national championship.
Be careful what you wish for.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is only one D1 school with an undefeated record against Alabama and that would be the Northern Illinois Huskies. They traveled to Tuscaloosa in 2003 & won 19-16. The Crimson Tide were ranked #21 at the time. NIU finished 10-2 that year & also defeated a top 25 Maryland team. But no invitation to a bowl game.

Maybe ND isn't so bad, they held the Tide to 31.

It's an interesting question and has been debated before when the Canes and SC were amazing, IIRC. Pro GMs said the best college teams of any period would get killed by a crappy NFL team, as only a small % of any college players, regardless of what team they are, get to the pros and stick there. Even if the college team has a player or two better than the NFL team, the won't have better players across the board, too many positions. Also pros are grown azz men, who only do that and don't have to worry about school etc...

Pro players have also said the biggest adjustment in the pros is that everyone is basically fast.

The coaching is also much better and the pros would kill them will matchups etc. Look at successful college coaches and how they fared in the pros -

Saban (Arguably best college coach ever) = sucked in NFL
Holtz (won at multiple schools and also a Natty) = sucked in NFL
Carroll ( won a Natty) = won a Super Bowl and lost another.
There are others, on the sucky side, like Bobby Peterino, but I ain't going that deep on a Monday evening.

To me they are 2 different strains of the same game. Shows what a great coach Pete is.

Jimmy Johnson.

Good post B squared.

It's cool to be on a good team, kick huge amount of arse and play for a great coach (only one for me - thanks Dad). I don't think that recipe has changed in 30 years.
Shout out to your dad. Respect.

He is only their #1 because Waddle got hurt
Wait so they are already facing an injury at the WR position and they still have their best remaining wideout deep?

I get people saying not to have a starter back deep. But people who pretended CAB shouldn’t have been back and wouldn’t have been back at any other team are fooling themselves.

a few years back Georgia coach spoke at a clinic and talked about how they thought special teams was losing them games...so they put a bunch of starters on special teams...and then they thought special teams was winning them games...(I can’t remember if he was Bama DC or Georgia HC when I saw him speak).

It’s a philosophy question on if you put starters on it. Coaches even at the highest level of college football do it both ways. If it was clear cut CAB shouldn’t have been deep, nobody would have starters deep

tOSU lobbied the BIG to have a season despite the pandemic so they could compete for a national championship.
Be careful what you wish for.

Good point. I'd be so mad if the Gophers won the Big Ten, won a playoff game and lost the national title. What a pathetic season. Much better to go 3-4

Maybe ND isn't so bad, they held the Tide to 31.
Notre Dame had a good defense and slowed down the game.
Notre Dames game plan looked like they knew they were over-matched so they wanted a game plan that would give them a chance if Alabama turned the ball over and made mistakes.

ohio state is really good. They ran a game plan that looked like they thought they could go blow for blow with them. They couldn’t.

I’d pick Ohio state over Notre dame

Definitely - thanks for your message - can't believe he slipped my mind.

Great coach with even better hair.

Yes, all world in the hair category. Plus he lives on the Florida Keys and hangs out with Gene Hackman. What a life.

Notre Dames game plan looked like they knew they were over-matched so they wanted a game plan that would give them a chance if Alabama turned the ball over and made mistakes.

ohio state is really good. They ran a game plan that looked like they thought they could go blow for blow with them. They couldn’t.

Probably, especially at full strength.

Good point. I'd be so mad if the Gophers won the Big Ten, won a playoff game and lost the national title. What a pathetic season. Much better to go 3-4
Plato is a wisco fan. He much prefers the Duke's Mayo bowl to 2nd in the nation.

Agree on Ohio State over Notre Dame. And yeah Notre Dame deserves props for holding that Bama offense under 50 because only a few teams managed to do that all year. Notre Dame didn't have the firepower to complete with Bama, maybe Ohio State's offense (on a good day for Fields) combined with Notre Dame's defense would be enough to get it done.....maybe.....that Alabama team is insanely loaded.

I do laugh though in threads like this when people ask if a college team could beat a bad NFL team. Alabama might be able to score and compete some with an NFL team but even as great as they are, a bad NFL team would crush them in the end.

Great High School teams would get crushed by mediocre college teams, great college teams would get crushed by bad NFL teams, the leap in talent between the levels is off the charts.

Well, at least they made it to the natty. And they held tough with them up to 14-14. Even 17-21. But once Bama made it 17-28, then 17-35, it was done. Couldn't hold them for nothing, when it mattered, on D.

Very glad they beat Clemson. Another Bama-Clemson game would've been gross.

Big Ten is still relevant in major college football. That is the most important, of all.

Unlike, sad to say, the PAC, right now.

Top Bottom