***OFFICIAL MISSOURI AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Hawkins made a few stupid turnovers, but he was pushing pace and opening up the floor for everyone else. Ben completely neutered him and the team with about 10 minutes left in the game.

To not have him in and have Garcia and Christie handle the point in crunch time was disastrous.

No idea why Hawkins wasn’t out there for the last several minutes.
He was struggling with turnovers...credited with four...but seemed like more. Obviously, Ben is saying he doesn't trust him.
Hard to say when you try to protect a lead for at least 10 minutes and when you had the momentum.
Attack the basket with Garcia and shoot free throws for 10 minutes.

So this is a case where going through the actual game is different than if you would read the box score. I think most of us having been through the last year you play a legit P5 school tough and lose by 2 would see that as progress from last year.

But you watch this game. You see the 20 point lead and the execution at the end to lose the game. Still progress but but discouraging result tonight

I get having Christie in there for defense. But not putting Hawkins in for the last offensive possession is terrible
totally agree... my 14 yo son and i were just making the exact same comment... why not have hawkins in to drive and dish, or drive and score, or drive and get fouled

if you really thought the Gophers were going to win with no problems when up 20 you haven’t watched enough Minnesota sports…and I know you have.
I'm normally with you but Mizzou isn't that good. I figured we'd let them get to about 6 and survive. Nope. Full choke job. It's not Illinois 2002 but it's up there.

He was struggling with turnovers...credited with four...but seemed like more.
I thought you were the official scorer 😉
Obviously, Ben is saying he doesn't trust him.
As noted by another poster, he might have been dinged up on the block thst wasn’t called when he hit that guy going full speed. You can hold off burning CBJ in effigy for a bit, can’t you? For a coach, you seem like an inpatient fella.
Hard to say when you try to protect a lead for at least 10 minutes and when you had the momentum.
Attack the basket with Garcia and shoot free throws for 10 minutes.

I get having Christie in there for defense. But not putting Hawkins in for the last offensive possession is terrible
In defense of Christie…I’d rather have him in the game for the last possession than Carrington. Have Hawkins replace him.

But the lineup was set for someone to drive and they had 3 bigs in (Payne, Garcia, Ihnen) to get the board and maybe a putback and foul)…that is Hawkins. Carrington literally lost the ball two possessions earlier which was killer. He can’t dribble.

Why was Christie given the ball in a tight game at the wire? Hawkins much better facilitator, and Fox no late minutes. WTF?

Your logic? He was the guy they set up to have the ball and nobody else moved?
My logic is that you have an all big ten player who can make free throws who should get the ball. Lose with your best. Poor execution by the team the last two possessions.

I can’t believe coach would tell the freshman to take it on his own. Ben blew the game from the sideline long before that.

As noted by another poster, he might have been dinged up on the block thst wasn’t called when he hit that guy going full speed. You can hold off burning CBJ in effigy for a bit, can’t you? For a coach, you seem like an inpatient fella.
It certainly is possible he was hurt....but if he wasn't what other conclusion you coming to?
NYC...there were so many opportunities to do things differently in so many possessions and almost all the possessions we had the last 10 minutes were stalling with zero idea beyond that.

I'm sure we have a set play for Ola Joseph to run baseline and get a lob dunk....but he has to be in the game....don't think he played last 10 minutes. Defense was very vulnerable to it.
Don't we have any other set plays to get a bucket? To get to the free throw line?
Not just a couple poor decisions the last 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Hawkins made a few stupid turnovers, but he was pushing pace and opening up the floor for everyone else. Ben completely neutered him and the team with about 10 minutes left in the game.

To not have him in and have Garcia and Christie handle the point in crunch time was disastrous.
totally agree with this assessment... Hawkins needed to be in there

One problem with scheduling 1 decent non-conference game and 10 cupcakes is that you put a lot of chips on that one game. We just bet big on it and crapped out. No amount of wins over SC Upstate is going to re-engage the casual fan. This was their only chance. The Barn will be a ghost town.

You implement a specific uptempo offensive game plan that gets you up 20 after 30 minutes. What do you do next? The exact opposite. It's almost completely inconceivable from a coaching standpoint.

At some point, the AD is going to have to demand accountability or he's the one that needs to go.

You implement a specific uptempo offensive game plan that gets you up 20 after 30 minutes. What do you do next? The exact opposite. It's almost completely inconceivable from a coaching standpoint.

At some point, the AD is going to have to demand accountability or he's the one that needs to go.
Losing teams try to stall the game out. Winning teams keep running their stuff and attack. What category are we?

100% this, what Slim Tubby said. Total chicken bleep to go into a shell, stall game, then hoist up bad shots, and miss free throws. This game was definition of snatching defeat from jaws of victory.

My guess is Cam taking both the last shots wasn’t the plan. Just a guess.
How TF does one guess that? It was CLEARLY the plan.
Or would yiu have us believe the freshman took it on himself to dribble off 25 seconds with NOBODY else, including the coaching staff 15 feet away, doing anything but watching him?

And then do it all over again on the last posession.

I'd say if Christie did that in his own, that's all the evidence one would need CBJ has zero control.

One problem with scheduling 1 decent non-conference game and 10 cupcakes is that you put a lot of chips on that one game. We just bet big on it and crapped out. No amount of wins over SC Upstate is going to re-engage the casual fan. This was their only chance. The Barn will be a ghost town.
Commenting on some topic I never addressed - interesting.

I’m starting to think you’re a masochist and enjoy the loses more than the wins🥴😉👍

Top Bottom