***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS MISSOURI STATE IN-GAME THREAD***

Take it! Go Texas Tech!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are not a very good team. Missouri St was awful and we flirted with losing...

Dorsey is going to be a good one. I hope he excels in the classroom.

NIce to see Dorsey get some clutch FTs

We are not a very good team. Missouri St was awful and we flirted with losing...

We were all kinds of awful in the second half. It's a win and part of the growing experience for this team. Have to learn quickly. We are not going to be able to just cast of threes and runners all year long and compete.

i would think if you shoot 13-23 from 3 you'd beat most. Never thought we'd have to be 13-23 just to beat MoST

Could have been 23-23 and still struggled if you send a team to the line 40 times. Huge problem there that can hopefully be corrected.

The announcers just said Dorsey's FT at 71-66 score was big because "it gives Minnesota a two possession game" huh?!

He said it not only once but twice! I'm thinking this is the "new math" older people keep talking about.

Probably an unpopular statement ahead; however, I always feel better when King is on the bench near the end of a close game. Always have.

Please enlighten me then.
I'm with Pitino - weird and wacky.
Discussion boards are a funny place. If one person discusses the reasons the team is struggling someone is sure to say 'Thats no excuse!'.

Whatever. No harm, no foul.

Like I said yesterday...King has to score. He has 18 and we win. Morris is our second leading scorer (on 5 of 11 shooting again) and our leading rebounder. Where do you the production is coming from if he doesn't play?

Dorsey is quick. Not particularly instinctive defensively. He can't shoot. 0 for 5 and 2 for 8 is going to get you beat. Yes, he certainly has potential but he's not good yet.

Konate again with 8 points after 11, that's encouraging if he could average 9 or 10 points a game!

You have to adjust to the refs...you can't give the other team 37 free throws.

We won! We'll get better. We had an 18 point lead...we just have to figure out how to play better longer. We need more consistent play individually and as a team. We needed the win!

Have not had a chance to watch either game, so I can't provide any incisive analysis, but a person can't be impressed by beating a bad team by only a few points. The Gophers are going to have to improve by leaps and bounds to be able to compete against Big Ten teams. Looking at the box score, the depressing part is being outrebounded - both offensive and total - yet again. Will we have a game this year where we're not outrebounded?

Konate again with 8 points after 11, that's encouraging if he could average 9 or 10 points a game!

I've been a Konate bobo for a long time now and he's looking like I anticipated. Would like to see how much damage he could do if he wasn't sitting due to foul trouble!

Have not had a chance to watch either game, so I can't provide any incisive analysis, but a person can't be impressed by beating a bad team by only a few points. The Gophers are going to have to improve by leaps and bounds to be able to compete against Big Ten teams. Looking at the box score, the depressing part is being outrebounded - both offensive and total - yet again. Will we have a game this year where we're not outrebounded?

I think we tied Temple on rebounds....

Rebounds are a little deceptive. We took some quick shots and shot 23 threes. In the first half in particular, I thought when we were in the half court and on defense, we positioned ourself well for rebounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep the faith, BG. Have to be willing to watch this team make mistakes and, hopefully, grow as the season progresses. Nothing that happened today really surprised me. Nothing is going to be easy.

I'm most encouraged by Konate. Has played a lot of solid basketball already. We need that to continue because there's not much behind him on the bench. Against teams with a decent post player, we're gonna' have to have him.

Buggsy, Joey, Mason, and Squirrel (even with those head-scratching shots) all have done some good things. And we're still just tapping into Dorsey, Murphy, McBrayer (tough day today), and Gilbert.

Have to learn how to play with a lead (when we get one) and somehow find a way to compete on the boards.

I know it's early, but I suspect that games like this are going to be more common this season. This is a very young and inexperienced team - and more often than not, consistency is a product of experience.

I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot of runs both ways - the Gophers will put together some of those 12-3 type runs, and then turn around and give up a 15-4 run just as quick. It won't be dull, but it may drive a few of us over the edge.

Keep the faith, BG. Have to be willing to watch this team make mistakes and, hopefully, grow as the season progresses. Nothing that happened today really surprised me. Nothing is going to be easy.

I'm most encouraged by Konate. Has played a lot of solid basketball already. We need that to continue because there's not much behind him on the bench. Against teams with a decent post player, we're gonna' have to have him.

Buggsy, Joey, Mason, and Squirrel (even with those head-scratching shots) all have done some good things. And we're still just tapping into Dorsey, Murphy, McBrayer (tough day today), and Gilbert.

Have to learn how to play with a lead (when we get one) and somehow find a way to compete on the boards.

Pretty much sums it up.

Pitino really did describe the game as weird and wacky. This team ain't bound for glory. But next years team might be. Dorsey makes a horrible, potentially game losing turnover and then comes back to ice the game with free throws. We have a couple guys who have never been dependable that we are going to have to depend on (see good squirrel, bad squirrel post by SS). Remember Konate managed to foul out for both the Maroon and Gold team in last years scrimmage.
I think this team IS improving. AND we are going to have a lot of trouble in the BT season. I don't think we can possibly improve enough. I hope to be wrong.

add: Having said this, I am optimistic about the program, just feeling realistic about what a growth year this is going to be w/growing pains for sure.

How this team competes in the B1G during January means very little in the overall picture of this season. Need to see growth during the season and hopefully a tough out in conference come late February and into March.

We are young/inexperienced. Just enjoy the ride. We have one guy that has played significant big ten minutes for more than a year. It's going to be a long season if you expect this team to play mistake free or show any consistency. Let's just hope for progress, hope coach p can keep everyone engaged, and dream of what can this team not what they are today.

Top Bottom