***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS MICHIGAN STATE BTT IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The number one issue for me is #4. With the athletic skills of JOJ and he can shoot...to me it is a crime that the coach cannot get that kid to be functional on the floor for at least 2-3 minute bursts.

Behind that- with our non-conference schedule we should have been seen developmental kids like Betts and Keinys playing at least 10 minutes a game until the league started. Sometimes a kid looks not ready in practice, but is a gamer. I am tired of going 7 deep. Need to go 9 or 10 and we had the bodies to do it.
JoJ has great athleticism, should be able to find a way to utilize his talents. A failure for sure.

There is some reluctance here to be completely honest about Hawkins. For all his brilliant assists, he also burdens the offense by keeping the ball in his own hands too much. He is taking the air out of the ball and stalling offensive movement.

We played better a month ago when we were passing the ball and making the defense work. Too many possessions in the last month involved Hawkins dribbling 20 seconds looking for the assist, then giving it to Dawson or Payne away from the basket and them trying to back two or three guys down for the shot.
Every PG under Ben has dribbled the mess out of the ball. Willis did it. Cooper did it and Hawk does it. Ben's offense is one of the worst for reversing the ball in the Big Ten. I really think he needs a new group of assistants.

Every PG under Ben has dribbled the mess out of the ball. Willis did it. Cooper did it and Hawk does it. Ben's offense is one of the worst for reversing the ball in the Big Ten. I really think he needs a new group of assistants.
THIS! As I said in another thread, our offense seems to be one of 3 things: let Garcia go one one one....dump it to Payne and hope he can muscle it up to the basket or have Hawkins dribble around until he can penetrate and dish to someone. There doesn't seem much real offensive flow at all.

This brings up the questions on

1) Why Ramburg not used at all this year when last year he showed some grit.
2) Where is the development of Betts?
3) Why was Jack Wilson brought in for scholarship for a year if not going to use at all.
4) Not finding a way to JOJ strengths. Maybe injured down stretch but he is a guy Hawkins should have no issues throwing the alley oops too.
5) Need to have more than 1 or 2 recruits coming in each year.
6) No development of press or fast break in 3 years.....why? We have probably one of the quickest teams but we want to slow it down to get too many 1 on 1 shots.
7) Weak schedule at start might look good for a while and give some hope, but really makes it tough come big ten time.

Going to be interesting to see if we somehow get and NIT bid...if not what happens next. Do they all stay? Does the team get deeper? Really disappointed with the 2nd half effort today.
I read here that Jack Wilson measures up in the lockerroom. What a goofball scholarship.

I feel like this is going to be unpredictability fluid with the transfer portal the way it is
Coaches job to keep bringing people in that want to compete with the team. If another player comes in, works harder, plays harder, and earns more playing time that someone and that person gives and transfers...so be it....hopefully means the team is that much better. It just can't be transfers all the time for 1 or 2 seasons. Yes it was needed to fill holes quick, but the lack of freshman besides Christie will hurt.

Next year so far only 2 locked up and both will need some development time. MSU is consistently bringing in people, developing, and so even in their down years are as good as our best year in a long time. Payne, Carrington, JOJ likely would have only played 0-5 min/game freshman year for MSU...likely 5-15min/game soph year. Just like Holloman whom all bummed about losing....6 min/game fresh year. 19 now sophomore year and he will likely be turned for more the next two years but he will be ready. Just difference. Keiny's and Betts seen very little time/development again this year?? very concerning.

Yes we may get all back next year and hopefully have a good year, but what is after that...6 more transfers? Ben needs to do some more recruiting and not wasting scholarships on people not able to contribute in conference play or we will continue to be hurting. CBJ should have had another PG freshman learning from Hawkins this year. Maybe he thought Mitchell could play more PG....problem with transfers. Always not sure.

It's not so easy to move the ball well. Everyone expects it.

Sometimes you have to go to war with what you've got, like a low post sophomore.

They've been stretching Payne a bit but it usually turns out bad. It takes time to develop those skills. Check back later.

You go with what you've got.

And we're supposed to move the ball like UConn?

Some things take time. We have a shooting guard firing from the perimeter who only recently started working inside with mixed results. That takes time.

Reasonable Expectation

I think it's reasonable to expect the team to culminate next season. Anything else meant something went terribly wrong.

Everyone can see how the team hits a climax next season. It culminates. Or it should.

The team went through a start-up. OK, when does it start making money. Start-ups can't lose money forever.

The average age next season will be exactly "junior" for the five starters or 5 + 1, if they all come back. It's reasonable to expect it to work next season or something has gone very wrong.

Add the freshman to that mix too. Still a bit young, especially with all those guys on the bench, but overall we'll say they have no excuse next season.

There will be no changes to the staff. They think the staff is great as is.

It is the fact that Ramberg contributed some gritty minutes last year, but nothing this year in any games. Just practice squad....We seem to have many of these people. No development. Izzo consistently develops. Look at Holloman. Averaged only 8 min Freshman year, now Izzo has him 19 min/game this year and he will be ready for bigger minutes next two years against us. Izzo has 4 fresh this year developing, signed 3 for next season. We got only 2 signed again.
Gritty minutes examples,

Last edited:

Ramburg SHOULD have had some run
RamBERG. Agree, could have given someone a five minute rest. Here are examples.

This brings up the questions on

1) Why Ramburg not used at all this year when last year he showed some grit.
2) Where is the development of Betts?
3) Why was Jack Wilson brought in for scholarship for a year if not going to use at all.
4) Not finding a way to JOJ strengths. Maybe injured down stretch but he is a guy Hawkins should have no issues throwing the alley oops too.
5) Need to have more than 1 or 2 recruits coming in each year.
6) No development of press or fast break in 3 years.....why? We have probably one of the quickest teams but we want to slow it down to get too many 1 on 1 shots.
7) Weak schedule at start might look good for a while and give some hope, but really makes it tough come big ten time.

Going to be interesting to see if we somehow get and NIT bid...if not what happens next. Do they all stay? Does the team get deeper? Really disappointed with the 2nd half effort today.
RamBERG. Yes, he could have given someone a five minute rest at a minimum. Here are examples,

Top Bottom